Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea swimming in Dublin

Options
  • 04-07-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi there, am looking for some good (the more lovely/secret/quiet the better!) sea swim spots in and around Dublin city... I usually do 40ft, Vico and Seapoint but would like to go further afield... Heard about Red Rock, Jamesons Pool but dunno how to get there exactly... Any suggestions?! Rough directions would be great too :)

Thanks
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

off the back of the south wall
    there's an old bathing hut about 1/3rd the way down that still used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The millionaires pool on the south side of Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 niallfitz

Thanks folks... I'll check them out! Anyone have more info on Red Rock or Jameson's Pool? Or any other cool places? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

High Rock & Low Rock between Malahide & Portmarnock are worth checking out too. And Lion's Head in Howth, you gotta go down a rope for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

niallfitz wrote: »
    Thanks folks... I'll check them out! Anyone have more info on Red Rock or Jameson's Pool? Or any other cool places? Cheers.

Red Rock: by bus, get 31B, after turning right at Sutton Cross/Marine Hotel, get off at Strand Road at the stop after the church, go right onto Strand Road and walk for the guts of over a mile, Red Rock is 700 yards passed the Martello Tower. Little harbour type thing and no good at low tide. [53°21'55.34"N 6° 5'18.97"W]

Jamesons Pool: get 31B, turn tight at Sutton Cross, up passed the graveyard, then the road dips and flattens out, get off at Ceanchor Road stop which just after the road starts to rise again, go straight down Ceanchor and throught the lane to the Cliff Walk, turn right and walk a few hundred yards for Jamesons' [53°21'43.07"N 6° 4'26.47"W] which is down a steep path, or turn right from the lane and go a few hundred yards to the Nun's beach [ 53°21'52.38"N 6° 3'58.19"W], again down a steep path. The Lion's Head [ 53°21'47.68"N 6° 3'40.48"W] is a bit further beyond the Nun's.

Sutton Dinghy Club also has a decent beach at high tide.

Tbh all the above are only worth it at high tide. Low tide is a waste of time imo.

I'm assuming public transport, you can work out driving using the above a Google Earth for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 niallfitz

Cheers - that's great... off I go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The Ramparts off Vico Road is the best in Dublin, why would you possibly want to go elsewhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

went for a swim in seapoint yesterday and got a funny fishy smell off the water, hope they're not dumping dead fish nearby??

its got no blue flag either i see

Advertisement