Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.C.s Obselete

Options
  • 04-07-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Anyone any info. on all P.C.s being obselete in the not so distant future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yes, it happens all the time. If you want evidence, just look at any PC a few years old and it can't cope with heavy workloads and it doesn't feature modern technologies.

It's a very general question though. You have to be more specific if you want a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I think he meant it more in a general sense - the rise of tablets, portable computing, etc.

Also, I call troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

She might also mean something like how the i7 made intel duo or whatever obsolete and new sockets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sounds like homework

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

funny-pictures-obsolete-still-works-for-me.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

^^ Also the only way to get your monies worth out of an Apple product :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There are too many people that like games like Total War and Flight Sims to kill it as a gaming platform - although I suspect the price of games will creep up as more and more publishers move to digital only distribution. There is also very good cross platform support for Xbox and PC games. Many people forget that the Xbox is called that becuase of the DirectX API it uses for games.

As a productivity tool its a third of the price of an Apple product - which is essentially just a PC with a fancy OS. So thats the lower end taken care of.

Finally the majority of people are trained on Windows enviroments so again the OS is probably safe. Apple OS is too expensive and Linux to fiddly to provide a decent challenge.

As for the format as a whole Laptops only offer mid range performance at a price that would get you an uber desktop - so again not a challenge there.

Having been a die hard fan of an obsolete platform (the Amiga) you know when a format is on the way out. It seemed to be going that way a few years back but then a lot of games publishers realised there was money to be made. I think we'll see a gentle slide into a TV / Console / PC over the next 20 years or so. Never underestimate people's resistance to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I mean new technology altogether.Maybe a different way of thinking or computing.It is just something I saw on the net.That all P.C.s will be obselete in the not so distant future.I thought someone here might be able to enlighten me.

PCs won't disappear, they'll change their form. With wireless and miniaturisation, we can carry them around with us. They're still PCs though.
    Some have been optimised for games; games consoles - still PCs.
    People use them in their living room now as media centres.

Yes, the desktop PC market has shrunk a little with laptops flying off the shelves a few years back and now tablets.

We now have cloud computing with storage and even computation all being done in a far away place so that we're only left with a shell of a computer... not quite a PC at this stage in the traditional sense. This will take off in the future - you can be damn well sure that companies will push it for control over your resources and dictate how and when you use theirs.

And people will say it's fantastic.

However, many people will want the power in their own hands and the computation/storage has to be done somewhere so the technology won't disappear.

Ultimately though, people want to sit down in their own space to use their desktop. When games have moved to holodecks, voice recognition is perfected and when we have no need for machines as big as today's laptops, with rollable or projected screens or LED walls, then I think the era of the desktop will be over (i.e., not for a while yet).

What will happen with all that info. in someone elses hands.Are the danger signals sticking their noses up.Who will rule the world.

• Advertisement

Most people don't care who's hands their info is in. Just look at facebook and google harvesting everything they can get from you and people go willingly. It's pretty hard today not to have some of your stuff passing into others' hands. Job applications and CVs passing around the internet etc.

Maybe you might get better answers in the conspiracy theories forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Desk top PC's aren't only use for gaming. Businesses and Universities will always need more power then they can ever get from a laptop and tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I mean new technology altogether.Maybe a different way of thinking or computing.It is just something I saw on the net.That all P.C.s will be obselete in the not so distant future.I thought someone here might be able to enlighten me.

I think you'd need to provide a link to what you read if you are to avoid just random replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think we're in the era of the 'home cloud' where your phone, tablet/laptop, desktop and maybe even your television are part of the same thing. It's already a cinch to sync information between them and it'll only get easier with OSes being rolled out across all these hardware platforms. They're all different arms of one big computer each with their strengths and weaknesses. The desktop definitely has a part to play in this but I do feel like the desktop is suffering from an identity crisis being under pressure to be as easily navigable as it's laptop, tablet and phone counterparts but the desktop, with the advantage in computing power and storage it generally has, should mean a greater capability to adapt to each users own needs and so I hope OS makers keep that in mind concerning desktops.

Still, they're much easier to navigate than 15 years ago. That user friendliness has come at the cost of a disconnect between the average user and the nitty gritty of what's happening inside the machine, something some old school speccys and DOS heads probably lament. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Monotype wrote: »
    Most people don't care who's hands their info is in. Just look at facebook and google harvesting everything they can get from you and people go willingly.
    [/url]

Which all just made the way people freaked out about their smartphones tracking their movements all the more hilarious IMO.:D

I can't say that I can foresee a day when the PC becomes obsolete, even with cloud based systems people will still want a fallback for when the cloud is inaccessible for whatever reason. Then look at the way corporations like to use outlook and their own mail server as opposed to relying upon a cloud based alternative such as the various free e-mail accounts, there will always be data that people, and even more-so companies, do not want to let out of their control.

^^ I think you underestimate the lack of knowledge in people. If a cloud system was successfully pushed out in force, many people wouldn't even realise that their data is in someone else's hands. Only when their internet connection is down or some massive disaster will wake them up. It obviously doesn't apply to everyone and I agree that many large companies will want to keep hold of information. I think people are getting lazier in this regard. Look at the three big Dublin universities who have handed over their email systems to google. Hmm... great move... google controls a vast bulk of third level IT resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

The cloud is just the current in Buzzword for something thats been around for years and years.

A cloud is simply a central server somewhere that you pay for storage on and access remotely.

If youve been using gmail since it came out then youve been using the cloud long before that term became common.

If you have a network hard drive at home that many devices can access , then you have your own cloud , which by the way , is far far cheaper per GB than the paid services available today.

Regarding the rise of tablets and smartphones , really , if thats all you need then you never really needed a PC in the first place.

It just happened that at one time if you wanted email and internet access then a PC was the only option , a bit like having a sledgehammer to crack nuts with.

However , just because tablets happen to be popular at the moment for trivial computing use , do not underestimate the muscle needed for many computing tasks , the vast majority of PC's are not sold to the home market , they are sold to business , and for serious work a tablet simply doesnt cut it.

Even at home a tablet falls way short for some tasks. I tried color correcting some wedding photos on an ipad lately , the device is hopelessly inadequate for the task , the famous retina display is sold to appeal to consumers , and is about as far away from being color accurate as you can possibly get.

At work , autocad and IC design software is the order of the day for me , no tablet can run that software , and the screen would be way to small even if it could.

Tablets are very much still toys , for playing with and for light trivial computing tasks , they are a long long way away from replacing a PC for serious work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

That's too far into the future to be extending a trend. At the rate that netbooks were being picked up in the years following launch, you could have said the same thing.

That said, tablets are looking interesting with very cheap ones of €50 emerging and perhaps with AMD's Trinity we should see some good graphics capabilities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bear in mind there's a very thin line dividing tablets from smartphones - cheaper tablets and even micro-desktops are so cheap (€25-100) because they're actually built on top of one of the newer and beefier mobile platforms (Raspberry Pi anyone?).

At this point in terms of hardware we're really seeing more market segregation due to more efficient tech - smartphones and tablets replacing low-end desktops and laptops for example. The cloud is, mercifully, a long way off, and even when it really takes hold its main use is as a corporate control mechanism similar to DRM. All it will do is divide all PC users into two camps - the haves and have nots. The have nots will still rely on local hardware to run pirated programs so it's unlikely that desktop PCs in their current form will ever disappear - the need will always remain too great, and where there's a demand there'll be a supplier.

• Advertisement

Excellent replys people.Keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Homework done yet?

Bit of a derailment but you might want to put something in regards the Apple bubble.

May god rest his soul but never was there a better thief than Steve Jobs. The Apple cult is really something to behold.

Homework done yet?
    Real giveaway that second post.

Bit of a derailment but you might want to put something in regards the Apple bubble.

May god rest his soul but never was there a better thief than Steve Jobs. The Apple cult is really something to behold.
    applelawyers.jpg?54b313

^^Thought this was very good. Look up Apples patent lawsuits if you don't get it.:pac:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/5/3139586/apple-patent-google-project-glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You' ve not provided a link. So who knows what you were reading. But if its that article someone else linked too, it doesn't say they'll be obsolete. To be honest its just some sensational tabloid phrases completely out of proportion to the statistics it quotes.
    Laptop shipments are expected to hit 393 million units by 2017, while NPD expects exponential tablet progress, 121 million shipments this year to 416 million by 2017.

One is obsolete when its still selling almost the same as the thing that's meant to have replaced it. Its just drivel.

They're getting a taste for being on the other side in China now though...:D

It's after getting that bad the UN is having to step in!

Microsoft and Apple are among firms that have called on others not to enforce sales bans on the basis of such standards-essential patents.

LOL!

Advertisement