Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Much Sleep Do You Get

• 04-07-2012 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

I was having a conversation on this topic with a mate earlier this evening and was wondering what is the average amount of sleep people get on here.

There is seminally lots of information out there for the ideal amount of sleep to get, according to QI 7 hours is better than 8, in fact 8 or more hours can be harmful...

How Many Hours of Sleep at Night 213 votes

Less Than 4
    0% 0 votes
    4-5
    2% 6 votes
    5-6
    12% 26 votes
    6-7
    24% 53 votes
    7-8
    34% 74 votes
    More Than 8
    25% 54 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

6 hours is usually enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

6 hour's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

6 to 7 hours, 8 hours or more and I'm exhausted for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I love sleep, and can sleep for 12 hours straight. If I don't get enough sleep at night I can sleep for an hour or two during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I got 3 hours last night (or rather, this morning) and none the previous night. And I wasn't even on the internet (much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I could sleep from 10 - 12 hours if circumstances allow and once I am actually asleep.

But I am a bit of night owl and generally only get 4-5 hours sleep, particularly during the week. Somedays it does feel like it is taking its toll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I take it when I can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I usually get around 10-12 hours a night, once I have been awake for 12 hours I start to get grumpy and really tired, during the year in college I was often asleep for 8 and would still have to be woken by the alarm at 7:00. I can't function without my sleep, I loves it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Depends what time i get to sleep at and what time i get up;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It depends on the person, and their own sleep patterns.
    Everyone doesn't follow the same pattern to a tee, so therefore it is stupid to say how much is healthy/unhealthy for the general population.
    Ideally you sleep through all 4/5 of your sleep stages 4/5 times a night, go to sleep at dark and wake up with the light.
    It changes with age, and is effected by exercise, diet, general mental/physical/emotional activity etc etc...

I personally need pills to get me asleep - my circadian rhythm is off kilter with the sun.
    I usually get about 9 hours sleep, unless I am awakened by my kids or something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not enough. Only got home from work an hour age, 14 hour day, up again at 7. I need 8 hours sleep but only usually get 6. Work gets in the way of my sleep big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

before the first work shift i usually dont sleep for fear of missing the shift i work for an agency and you know what there like.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

6-7 hours a night. Once a week will try and get around 8 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I love sleep, my ideal amount would be 12 hours a night but that would be mean getting home from work and going straight to bed so i have to make do with about 7 a night. After a long session of partying i have been known to sleep for 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Really depends what I did that day. When marathon training, I made sure I slept for 7-8 hours but when not doing any physical training, I can get away with 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

4 to 5 hours during the week and ten 10 to 12 at the weekend.

I know you are supposed to get up at the same time every day to keep a regular sleep schedule but lie-ins are sooooo good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Where To wrote: »
    I take it when I can get it.

You realise this is sleep that is being discussed here? :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

This one time I slept for 27 hours, yeah beat that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

Always to bed after midnight and up again around 7.45am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I love sleep, and can sleep for 12 hours straight. If I don't get enough sleep at night I can sleep for an hour or two during the day.
    You are sleeping your life away. 6 hours is enough for me often had less than that. Do you spend most of your waking hours shopping :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If I get less than 10 hours I'll be in foul form for the day. I usually get 10-12, rarely less.

I once finished work at 2pm, was so tired, I went for a nap at 3pm. Finally woke at 9:30am the next day!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

None of you are getting laid, quite clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

This one time i slept for 28 hours:)

I'd be lucky to even get 6 hours most nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Jesus and I thought I was great with my record of 16, you weren't in a medical coma or anything were ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I was having a conversation on this topic with a mate earlier this evening and was wondering what is the average amount of sleep people get on here.

There is seminally lots of information out there for the ideal amount of sleep to get, according to QI 7 hours is better than 8, in fact 8 or more hours can be harmful...

not at all. each to their own. (I'm a 10hr min man meself) Staying in bed when you're refreshed, yes, not good. But if yuo're sleeping, you're sleeping.

love me sleep i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You are sleeping your life away. 6 hours is enough for me often had less than that. Do you spend most of your waking hours shopping :eek:
    No, procrastinating :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

I get around 7-8. I would feel bad for getting any more. Just wasting your day away in bed!

Course when tired, Certain Ideals can go swiftly out the window :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

6 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

About 6-7 every night.

Not enough, I'm shattered throughout the entire day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

10-12 when Im not in college. 8 hours when I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Anything from 4-10, usually nearer 4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

1210m5g wrote: »
    I love sleep, my ideal amount would be 12 hours a night but that would be mean getting home from work and going straight to bed so i have to make do with about 7 a night. After a long session of partying i have been known to sleep for 24 hours.

Really? Do you check the date as well as the time when you wake up?

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    If I get less than 10 hours I'll be in foul form for the day. I usually get 10-12, rarely less.

I once finished work at 2pm, was so tired, I went for a nap at 3pm. Finally woke at 9:30am the next day!

very interesting. i noticed all the 10+ sleepers all say 'i love my sleep' or 'would be in foul form without it' or both.

but it's very true. If i dont get me proper sleep (absolute min 8 hrs), i go, well, insane.

Holsten wrote: »
    About 6-7 every night.

Not enough, I'm shattered throughout the entire day.

no good. ye gotta fight for the right, em, to sleep.

• Advertisement

Farcheal wrote: »
    I get around 7-8. I would feel bad for getting any more. Just wasting your day away in bed!

Course when tired, Certain Ideals can go swiftly out the window :D

yes see, it's that aul nonsense mentality from the olden days which we have to shake off. SLEEP AS REQUIRED!!!! NO MORE, NO LESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Jesus and I thought I was great with my record of 16, you weren't in a medical coma or anything were ya?

Nah, just spazzed for a while then I done it.

1210m5g wrote: »
    This one time i slept for 28 hours

jesus and I thought I was great with my record of 27, you weren't in a medical coma or anything were ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Usually about 5 hours. I always say I will go to bed early but never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Before kids I rarely got more than 5 hours sleep during the week and would get a good 10 hours every Saturday and Sunday (after a session the night before).

Now, it's maybe 6/7 hours for six nights a week and 8/9 one night of the weekend.

Back in college I broke 30 hours twice, once after a 3 night bender that must've amounted to nearly 70 hours straight drinking, the other after spending a full weekend re-doing a group project when I got stuck with a group of morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You need about 8 1/2 hours. You can manage on less up to a max of about 30 hours lost, then you will sleep even if you try to stay awake.
    People who say they only sleep for 3 or 4 hours a night are bad at maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Usually go to sleep about 12 or 12.30 (I'm up late tonight cos I'm on holidays!!!! :P) but I'm a very light sleeper when sober so I'll end up waking up 5 or 6 times during the night and I'll be up by 9am at the latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It depends on the person, and their own sleep patterns.
    Everyone doesn't follow the same pattern to a tee, so therefore it is stupid to say how much is healthy/unhealthy for the general population.
    Ideally you sleep through all 4/5 of your sleep stages 4/5 times a night, go to sleep at dark and wake up with the light.
    It changes with age, and is effected by exercise, diet, general mental/physical/emotional activity etc etc...

I personally need pills to get me asleep - my circadian rhythm is off kilter with the sun.
    I usually get about 9 hours sleep, unless I am awakened by my kids or something or other.

What are the pills.
    gimmie gimmie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Probably sleep 8 or 9 hours through the night, then an hour or 2 nap afternoon/evening.

Me luv sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Barely nothing lately, highly thinking off going to the Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Nearly zero these past two nights.
    Can never sleep if i'm overly stressed or excited about something.
    Kinda sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

Got home from Oxegen one year at 3pm on the Monday, woke up at 4pm on the tuesday.

Good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

I usually go to bed after 6am and up again just after 8:30am. I'll have a snooze for an hour if I'm lucky sometime before lunchtime and again late in the evening if it's quite but that's about it.

I'm not working (I don't claim the dole either before anyone starts!) but when I was working I was going to bed around 4am and up at 7:30am or so.

My last job had me all over the world in dodgy places so I reckon my body clock got banjaxed so much it just gave up. Could never sleep on flights either.

Occasionally now, maybe the odd weekend, I'd sleep for a good 8 hour stretch if nobody disturbs me.

For me, a shower when I wake, alternating between hot and cold then a strong cup of coffee and I'm sorted.

Feck sleep anyway. If I were sleeping I'd miss all the cool South American football that does be on, like im watching right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What are the pills.
    gimmie gimmie

I take an old anti dep at night - it's no longer used as an anti dep since ssri's etc... appeared on the market, but it is still used for insomniacs due to its drowsy effects.

Before I was pregnant though, I was taking melatonin which was much better - you wake up refreshed with that stuff.

Both are only on prescription here, so ask your doctor.
    They're good because neither are addictive like benzos and such are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

I get about three hours a night, never needed more than that. When I'm on holidays though I would easily spend ten hours in the scratch snoring away. Always love the holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Staying up on the Internet at night instead of sleeping is fairly stupid. Your quality of life during the day plummets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement