Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Much Sleep Do You Get

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Mid week i'd go for 6 - 8 at the weekends it all depends what's going on... sometimes i'll get none :eek:

I make up for it with power snoozes the next day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

6/7 hours, Usually asleep by 12ish and wake up at 7ish, everyday which can be a pain :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I find that if i read a book for half an hour i get good quality sleep, and wake up refreshed. About 7 hours straight through does the trick.

Exercise is great for it as well.

I went through a stage of watching battlestar gallactica until 1AM...not a good plan. Using electronics (laptop / tv) right up until bed time ruined my sleep quality and ability to get to sleep quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i often go several days on weekends without a sleep and function quite well. but usually i need 6 hours on average to function normally mid week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

usually go to bed around midnight or half 11, then up around 7-7.30 fresh as a daisy

weird thing is when i'm back in college after my year out I'll be going to bed around 2-3am and crawling out of bed at 10 to 9 wishing I was dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Roughly tend to get more than 8 hours sleep. I need 8-10 hours sleep to be refreshed and functioning for the next day otherwise I be a bit grumpy or in a mood for the day not usually a morning person anyway. If I don't get the required amount of sleep I need I be tired the next day and not very alert.

I could get by on 7-8 hours sleep but might need a quick nap later in the day to keep me refreshed until bed time but I do try to maybe wait till bed time and go to bed early then. Though if I got only 5-6/7 hours sleep I'd need a nap in the middle of the day or later in the day. Whether it be 10-20 mins or 30 mins but the issue be is that I could fall into a deep sleep and sleep for an hour or two hours and be worse off and end up staying up late then.

I find I am not at my best when I only get 5-7 hours, I find I struggle during the day to keep awake. Depends how much sleep I really need on a given night, diet, and what I have done on the day.

I need to be tired almost exhausted before I sleep if there isn't a wink in me I won't sleep and could take me ages to get to sleep, if I am tired enough I fall asleep straight away. I do prefer to sleep the night without broken sleep I be fine but if it broken I don't sleep well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

does anyone here ever get sleep jolts or wake up in a panic (feeling like ya can't breathe)?

for me i get the jolts (feels like someone is hitting ya with a defribilator)... sometimes upto 20 times a night... its so damn frustrating cos it really screws up my sleep cycle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

How many of the long sleepers are cigarette smokers? When I smoke I sleep for days when I'm off them 6 hours or so will do. I'm seldom off them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I need about 5 or 6 solid hours. Women seem to be tired all the time and cold. So they need warm, and the heat on when you don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

7/8 hours usually. rarely go to bed before midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

about 5 or 6 hours a night maybe less

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I also find unfit and less active people sleep more and are tired all the time

5-6 is the most I have time for. There is simply too much to do in life to waste any more time sleeping than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Only 4-5 hours these days, feckin' getting bright so early! :(

Can't wait for the mornings to draw in a bit, I need at least 7 hours sleep to function well in work. S'pose I could just buy an eyemask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

6-7 hours during the week. 8-10 usually over the weekend. It's never enough!

I'm so jealous of everyone getting over eight hours during the week, I'd love that but between work and everything else I just can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

On average 4-5 hours.

Don't know how people need more than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I honestly can't remember the last time I even managed to get 7 hours sleep. For me, I average between 5 and 6. Too busy and too much of a night owl to get any more.

Its strange that I could be wrecked tired at around 7 or 8 at night but by 10 or 11 I'm wide awake again. After a couple of months it can take its toll and I end up having to literally stay in bed for a day. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

studiorat wrote: »
    How many of the long sleepers are cigarette smokers? When I smoke I sleep for days when I'm off them 6 hours or so will do. I'm seldom off them...
    I find the more I smoke, the harder it is to get to sleep actually. I'd still only have a few hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DuvetCover

I get about 7 hours during the week and maybe 9 or so at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I usually get around 10-12 hours a night, once I have been awake for 12 hours I start to get grumpy and really tired, during the year in college I was often asleep for 8 and would still have to be woken by the alarm at 7:00. I can't function without my sleep, I loves it :)

College.. bed at 8? 11 hours sleep? what? What happened to being up all night drinking and rocking up to lectures after a few hours powernap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Well since it's summer now and I'm finished school, I probably sleep about 10 or 11 hours most nights/days.. During school when I had to be up at 8.30am it'd normally be 4 or 5 hours, just 'cause I never really go to sleep before 3/4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

does anyone here ever get sleep jolts or wake up in a panic (feeling like ya can't breathe)?

for me i get the jolts (feels like someone is hitting ya with a defribilator)... sometimes upto 20 times a night... its so damn frustrating cos it really screws up my sleep cycle :(

Are you sure you haven't sleep apnea or something.

I get that too, but it's caused by a lack of REM sleep. Apparently, I have 'bursts of awake like brain activity' when I'm asleep. Or so I was told.

It means jack sh1t to me, I'm in a constant battle to stay awake.

Makes no difference whether I get 6 or 16 hours sleep. Failing on that, the sleep paralysis might get me. Either way I'm fecked:D

Hence being on boards at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't think that the case I think it normal enough to wake up with a fright. Often happens to me. Either I be like I am free falling, falling or flying that's how it might feel and then wake up realising that's all it was that I might have been dreaming or just almost falling out of the bed. Though find be overly relaxed could take time to adjust - pins and needles sensation sometimes.

Sleep apnoea is a different thing.

I can't sleep unless I am actually tired and it usually after midnight. Though if exhausted before midnight I be gone to bed usually. Though usually cannot stay awake past a certain time though that I have to head to bed. I Just sleep for as along as I need though!

I tried to avoid the alarm clock if I can so as to get a better nights sleep unless I need to get up for something specific I have an alarm set as I could easily sleep in or not hear it or could actually disrupt my sleep waiting for the alarm to go off.

So sleep is quiet important to me even though I am a night owl, I sleep for as long as I need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I work night shift, 7 on 7 off. When I am working I get about 3 to 4 hours sleep a day. But for 5 days every two weeks I could sleep for 14-15 hours, not continuous though. I would love to be able to sleep for hours at a time. I need a new job:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It varies - anything from 4 to 6 hours. I can function reasonably well on 3 hours though. Less than that and I start randomly dozing off during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It depends on the night. This week I've slept about 10-12 hours on each of Monday and Wednesday night, but between 0-2 the other nights, and it looks like tonight will be another of the short ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Gosh this thread is making me sleepy! Disregard my last post, for the last couple of nights I've been getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep, usually staying up late then sleeping half way through the day :D

Guess that's what summers for, especially with the weather we're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Once I pop my valium I'm out for at least 9 heavenly hours,more if I've had a few beers beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Usually 5 - 6. Lately though, it's been 3-5. My sleep pattern's messed up.

Advertisement