Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The regional forums

Options
  • 05-07-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Something I just noticed about them, and their layouts.

For the most part, it seems to be that the region is the main forum, and the counties being the sub forums.

For example, the North Forum. There is the main forum discussing subjects in relation to the North generally, and then the seven sub forums, for discusions on Belfast City and the 6 counties. Or the Midlands, the main forum for discussing the Midlands, and then the sub forums for each county, So on and so on for each region.

The exception barr the east forum, which I assume is due to its size, and containing Dublin, seems to be the Northwest forum. Which has no main forum, but all subs, including a sub for the North West. I cant help but feel that this causes the North West sub forum to be missed by visitors and regulars, and I wonder why its not listed as a main forum like the other regions, and maybe receive more traffic or have more discussion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It is a bit out of step with the other forums alright. It looks like an oversight more than anything else though. I wonder if there would be any problems converting a sub-forum to a main forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's only 1 Regional CMod at the moment. It might be easier to get things cleared up once that's sorted out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The main regional forums have been dead [apart from spam] since the creation of the County specific forums, I doubt much will change this. It's natural that posters are interested in their own counties and not North West, North East etc..

If posters are happy posting in the specific county forums I don't see a major requirement or purpose for the general regional forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The main regional forums have been dead [apart from spam] since the creation of the County specific forums, I doubt much will change this. It's natural that posters are interested in their own counties and not North West, North East etc..

If posters are happy posting in the specific county forums I don't see a major requirement or purpose for the general regional forums.

But in the case of the NE, its on its own as a main forum, unlike the NW which is listed a sub.

As a counter arguement though, ocassionally posters might ask a question or have a discussion that due to the size of two of the counties in the NW forum, Sligo and Leitrim, their discussion can sometimes cover both, and the response can be hit or miss depending on which forum they use, if they go for the opiton of posting in both forums this runs the risk of being frowned apon, so having the opiton of posting in the NW forum rules this out. If it was on its own as a main forum it might be more noticable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My fault in a way in relation to the North West forum. About 4 or 5 years ago I was mod of the NW forum and by default the county forums (Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal). I wanted to be removed as mod of the Sligo forum but because of whatever way the permissions were set up it couldn't be done without removing me as mod of the other county forums and the NW regional forum.

From memory I think it was Vexorg and Ross/CuLt I was in contact with at the time and the only way to overcome the problem was to introduce a NW category that would contain a NW forum. This ensured that I remained mod of NW, Donegal and Leitrim but not Sligo

So when flicking through the region categories and looking at what falls under what you will see 2 North Wests which is really good value for money :)

As the old Bord Failte slogan used to say....."Up here it's different"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What I find amusing that in East, each Dublin County forum has two forums - the forum itself (which is empty)and the subforum (where all the posts are), both with the same title. Why is this?

What I find amusing that in East, each Dublin County forum has two forums - the forum itself (which is empty)and the subforum (where all the posts are), both with the same title. Why is this?
    Most likely for the same reason as I give above for the NW forum :)

muffler wrote: »
    Most likely for the same reason as I give above for the NW forum :)

But North West includes 3 counties and "North West", whereas Dublin County South has a subforum called Dublin County South, and nothing else :pac: (ditto for Dublin County West and Dublin County North)

But North West includes 3 counties and "North West", whereas Dublin County South has a subforum called Dublin County South, and nothing else :pac: (ditto for Dublin County West and Dublin County North)
    Its all to do with permissions for the mods (maybe ex-mods now). The NW forum has 3 counties under the umbrella and then a NW forum because it encompasses the NW region geographically whereas A "Dublin South" or "West" would only have one geographical area to encompass and hence one forum....if that makes sense.

Im not sure of the postcode areas around Dublin but if forums were created for Dublin 1, 2 and 3 for example then they would be lumped in under the Dublin South region forum

• Advertisement

Its all to do with permissions for the mods (maybe ex-mods now). The NW forum has 3 counties under the umbrella and then a NW forum because it encompasses the NW region geographically whereas A "Dublin South" or "West" would only have one geographical area to encompass and hence one forum....if that makes sense.

Im not sure of the postcode areas around Dublin but if forums were created for Dublin 1, 2 and 3 for example then they would be lumped in under the Dublin South region forum

Odd numbers are north, even numbers are south :P

Odd numbers are north, even numbers are south :P
    So you're saying we're odd up here? :p

So you're saying we're odd up here? :p

Yep, Armagh is Dublin 45 :P

Advertisement