Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is a heap of **** right now!!:(

• 05-07-2012 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I just got told today that I'm not going to college. My other two sisters are going and they can't afford to send me. Great yeah I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go this year but obviously that's not the case! Well ffs! I'm always the one to get ****ed over constantly and nobody gives a flying **** what happens to me.

I've told them how much this gets me down and how bad I'm coping with everything besides that but they really don't give a **** and have said so.
    I seriously don't know what to do? Do I take off to Australia or what?
    It seems my most reliable friend is a bottle of vodka and even he doesn't last!!

And yeah I'm home from drinking from being out in Galway for the Volvo but that didn't seen to lift my spirits. Well **** it all anyway!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

try saving money yourself for college instead of drinking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

How come your sisters get to go? Are they only starting college this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

What about working and saving for the capitation/administration fee yourself?

You can work during the college year to support yourself and work during the summer to get the fees together.

If it were a case similar to the UK where you're looking at £9,000 for a year, then I suppose the "can't afford it" line is acceptable. However, at the €2,500 we have it at here "my parents won't pay it" doesn't cut it. If you want to go, get the money together and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Don't worry, 1ZRed. Your eldest sister is meant to be the one who struggles her whole life to provide for her family. Your second eldest sister is going to end up president of Ireland. And you will just coast true life, end up rich and with lots of beautiful women. We thought you knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Move out and then apply for a grant so that you can go. Apply to the hear and fake an illness so that you can qualify for the dear too. You'll be rolling in the dosh and get to go to college :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Get a grant?

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Awww poor baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So you're drinking yourself asunder on a Wednesday night?

You sound like a student to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

What age are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Awww poor baby

Why has this bellend not been banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Awww poor baby

Dick. If you knew the sh/t I have to deal with myself with zero to fck support you wouldn't be surprised if you turned to a bottle for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Sounds like a case for SuperNanny

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So you're drinking yourself asunder on a Wednesday night?

You sound like a student to me!

I wish. Prob not going to happen at this rate either. I don't apply for a grant, never have. I'm 18

1ZRed wrote: »
    Dick. If you knew the sh/t I have to deal with myself with zero to fck support you wouldn't be surprised if you turned to a bottle for help.
    Life is just so tough at 18, under your parent's roof, with enough cash to go out drinking on a Wedneday night.

Tough life man, you should write a book about it. I bet it'd be a best seller.

I wish. Prob not going to happen at this rate either. I don't apply for a grant, never have. I'm 18

Apply anyway!

Also, you're only 18! You've plenty of time. I didn't start my degree til I was 22!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

If they can't afford it, then you should apply for a grant. If you're willing to go to college and are dependant on your parents who don't have the money then you should have no problem with the application!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

So your parents aren't wiping your arse, big deal, thousands of people put themselves through college with working and the help of grants.
    Count yourself very lucky if you even get a place in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fkt wrote: »
    Why has this bellend not been banned?

TBH you're more likely to get banned for calling another user a "bellend".

RHarrow wrote: »
    Life is just so tough at 18, under your parent's roof, with enough cash to go out drinking on a Wedneday night.

Tough life man, you should write a book about it. I bet it'd be a best seller.

Try being gay, disowned by most of your friends and your problems pretty much ignored by the rest. Yeah it's a care free easy life all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

D1stant wrote: »
    Sounds like a case for SuperNanny

Bad teeth, the menopause and an overwhelming sense of smugness isn't going to help.

Get a job. I myself may have to put someone else through college.

You'll find one somewhere and you'll get a decent wage. With no or little expenses you'll have enough money in no time but you have to actually go out and find one and work hard for it. It all depends on how much you want it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Great yeah I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go

Strange statement for at least two reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Am my parents couldn't afford to send me to college either.

I worked a 25-30 hour week during college, even throughout my final year (this year just gone) and 40-50 hours over the summer holidays. A little help from the Credit Union and the grant and I managed to survive and graduate with an excellent honours degree. I wanted to go to college so I worked my ass off to find a way to make it happen, as will my two sisters below me.

You took a year out, did you not work and save during that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Try being gay, disowned by most of your friends and your problems pretty much ignored by the rest. Yeah it's a care free easy life all right

Wow yeah. I mean hypotethically mixed with being a spoilt self obsessed brat would be tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What problems do the rest of you have that are so much worse than his?
    This, to me, seems like a huge problem. He only got the news today. Do you really expect him to be over it and planning things himself already?

O.P. Things will be grand tho. Wait a few years, save money and do it alone.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't start my degree til I was 22!

And that's why you're mole on the ass of society that will never amount to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Poor you. Mammy and Daddy can't afford to send you to college. Get over it. You're a grown up, take control of your own life. Theres more to life then going to college.

Who you like to fcuk is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Move out and then apply for a grant so that you can go. Apply to the hear and fake an illness so that you can qualify for the dear too. You'll be rolling in the dosh and get to go to college :L

Have to be 23 to be considered as being separate from your parents in terms of a grant afaik.

OP it's time to man up and realise that whatever other people do to help you after the age of 18 should be looked at as a bonus, you're the only one responsible for your life. Everyone gets kicked in the balls from time to time pick yourself up and get on with it. Try posting in the college forum to see what advice others can give, try for a part time job you mightn't get it at least try though also check out student finance.ie for info on the all the various allowances available.

If your parents can't afford to send you don't throw a hissy fit they probably feel bad enough about it already. They more than likely didn't want things to go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Did you seriously come to AH and expect people to be all sympathetic about you problems???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

As has been said already, apply for the grant, hell you never know.
    Look in to getting a part time job so you can save towards college.
    College is a great experience, you'll love whether it be this year or whenever.
    Two more things.
    Nothing wrong with being gay, and anyone who disowns you over this is a fcuk
    Lay off the booze, it will only make you more depressed.

• Advertisement

You don't sound mature enough to invest the money of a degree in tbh. You've a bad case of the poor mes"

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conor_Sammon

By the sounds of it you should be eligible for some sort of grant or financial support to help with third level education. Would advise you to do some research yourself, but these links should help you in the right direction!

http://www.accesscollege.ie/
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/

That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some part-time employment and start saving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Try being gay,

Yes, you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Drinking is not the answer, you are only 18yrs you have plenty of time for college, can you not do something else until next year, a course or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

What are so keen on studying? maybe the good people of AH can give you an education here online.

mackg wrote: »
    Have to be 23 to be considered as being separate from your parents in terms of a grant afaik.

On the 1st of January of the year you enter course.

For example, if I'm 22 now and will be 23 in August, starting a new course in September, I will not be eligible. If you enter then without eligibility for a grant, you will remain ineligible for the duration of the degree.

• Advertisement

You don't sound mature enough to invest the money of a degree in tbh. You've a bad case of the "poor mes"
    If friends have disowned you for you sexuality, they weren't friends, happens everyone. But thinkin vodka is your only mate makes you sound awful. And no, no matter how ****ed up your life is there is no excuse for blaming erratic drinking etc on this.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I love how the OP has buried himself.

Bet you feel even worse now than before you started the thread. Calling me a dick - laughable.

Best put the vodka away. There's a good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I love how the OP has buried himself.

Bet you feel even worse now than before you started the thread. Calling me a dick - laughable.

Best put the vodka away. There's a good lad.

Mod

Don't be a dick

There's a good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Three words spoilt little brat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

What problems do the rest of you have that are so much worse than his?
    This, to me, seems like a huge problem. He only got the news today. Do you really expect him to be over it and planning things himself already?

O.P. Things will be grand tho. Wait a few years, save money and do it alone.

Because the OP is complaining about nobody basically doing it for him! And he seems to be taking no pro-active steps himself. Seriously?
    I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go this year
    That's what I'm objecting to.

Look OP it sucks but it's life. You need to get a grip, it'll make things easier in the long run. Parents can't afford to put you through college? Get a job and do it yourself. Friends disowned you because you're gay? They clearly weren't worth having if something that small destroyed the friendship, get off the internet, stop drinking and make some friends worth having!

Anyways if you can't afford to go to college what makes you think you could afford to go to Australia??

• Advertisement

Has it occurred to anyone that the OP may in fact want advice rather than being insulted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I just got told today that I'm not going to college. My other two sisters are going and they can't afford to send me. Great yeah I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go this year but obviously that's not the case! Well ffs! I'm always the one to get ****ed over constantly and nobody gives a flying **** what happens to me.

I've told them how much this gets me down and how bad I'm coping with everything besides that but they really don't give a **** and have said so.
    It seems my most reliable friend is a bottle of vodka and even he doesn't last!!

And yeah I'm home from drinking from being out in Galway for the Volvo but that didn't seen to lift my spirits. Well **** it all anyway!!:mad:

Drinking is just pissing your money away IZRed, try saving it like you appear to expect your parents to do, to put you through College.
    Do I take off to Australia or what?

By all means, if you have the money.:confused:

For the life of me,I don't understand why, if you are serious, you posted this in AHs.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Sindri wrote: »
    Has it occurred to anyone that the OP may in fact want advice rather than being insulted?

true, but I think anyone can tell you AH is no place for advise?

And that's why you're mole on the ass of society that will never amount to anything.

It's not JUST that, trust me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

OP was looking for sympathy, not advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Become a rent boy. Easy money in that field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

nimrod86 wrote: »
    true, but I think anyone can tell you AH is no place for advise?

That's not always true, some people in AH can give good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

boo fkin hoo, get a job and pay your own way through college like the rest of us who dont **** silver spoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's 18 and after taking a heavy hit today with regards his future and going through a tough time socially and most people start laying into him. Bit embarrassing for AH.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement