Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is a heap of **** right now!!:(

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if they havent got the money, they havent got the money. get off your arse and earn it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just yesterday his only concern was his "happy trail".

What a rollercoaster existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

hondasam wrote: »
    That's not always true, some people in AH can give good advice.

I think there was plenty of good advice given. :confused:

Now whether the OP wants to hear it or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Give the guy a break. Parents use far more of their resources on their first born and it filters down from there. It's sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lone Stone wrote: »
    boo fkin hoo, get a job and pay your own way through college like the rest of us who dont **** silver spoons.

Give the kid a break he is only 18yrs and has other issues he is dealing with.
    No need to act the big man in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

College isnt everything OP and the stress and pressure it puts people under sometimes it might not be the right time to go. You're young and dealing with some issues most people wont have to deal with - Maybe in a year or 2 you'll know what direction you want to take.

Though you are an adult and should stop blaming others - you make your own path in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Give the guy a break. Parents use far more of their resources on their first born and it filters down from there. It's sad but true.
    Me hole! I got nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

HazDanz wrote: »
    Bit embarrassing for AH.

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

grow a set of balls and cop onto yourself.

Poor me mammy won't wash my clothes for me anymore or give me my supper for free.

''I want free money, free food, free accommodation and I want a kings ransom on top of all that for the privilege you get of having me as your son.''

Toss off. your porr parents are probably up to their neck in debt the state this country is in. you should have got a job for the year, saved up a few quid and chipped into the cover the house bills as well. That would be if you had any self respect or decency as a human being. Instead your out on the lash on a Wednesday. A WEDNESDAY!!!! Don't come on here expecting to get your arse licked and your wounds healed, the pope doesn't even take a glass of wine on a wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

1. apply for a grant, see what happens.

2. get a job, save money and you can go next year. if you really want to go you will do this and sacrifice the drinking and going out.

3. take out a long term loan/ student loan to pay for it. (thats what my cousin had to do in the uk and its way more expensive over there)

i think option 2 is most realistic, but you have to have the motivation and determination to go to college.

maybe your parents just cant financially afford to send all of you to college, i dunno. but whats happened has happened. i dont mean to be harsh but stop complaining and do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

1ZRed wrote: »
    I just got told today that I'm not going to college. My other two sisters are going and they can't afford to send me. Great yeah I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go this year but obviously that's not the case! Well ffs! I'm always the one to get ****ed over constantly and nobody gives a flying **** what happens to me.

I've told them how much this gets me down and how bad I'm coping with everything besides that but they really don't give a **** and have said so.
    I seriously don't know what to do? Do I take off to Australia or what?
    It seems my most reliable friend is a bottle of vodka and even he doesn't last!!

And yeah I'm home from drinking from being out in Galway for the Volvo but that didn't seen to lift my spirits. Well **** it all anyway!!:mad:

Obviously it's not your ideal situation but from experience college is **** when you're 18, best off starting early 20s or so. Degree level anyway. You'll enjoy the experience much better.

Did you have a look at the springboard courses? They are free and if you get a little part time job then all will not be lost.

Also leave the vodka alone it's not going to solve anything. U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I have done all I could to get a job this year and have volunteered to even try but there just isn't anything. My parents have really thrown down on my for not doing anything and even though I feel like Im drowning nobody seems to hear. I'm sorry if I thought someone might help me here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Because the OP is complaining about nobody basically doing it for him! And he seems to be taking no pro-active steps himself. Seriously?
    That's what I'm objecting to.

Look OP it sucks but it's life. You need to get a grip, it'll make things easier in the long run. Parents can't afford to put you through college? Get a job and do it yourself. Friends disowned you because you're gay? They clearly weren't worth having if something that small destroyed the friendship, get off the internet, stop drinking and make some friends worth having!

Anyways if you can't afford to go to college what makes you think you could afford to go to Australia??

I'm not denying that he might be spoiled and he might even be in the wrong. But he just got the news today and hasn't taken it very well, the last thing he needs is to be put down in a public forum :L

And I'd love to know how many people here actually put themselves through college. I know my friends and I will be relying heavily on our parents for some financial support come September and I know there are thousands of people all over the country like that. Granted, most parents are happy to do this but it's neither here nor there. And I think that if I were in his parents position I wouldn't be able to choose between my children, it would be everyone or no one. They don't sound like nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I have done all I could to get a job this year and have volunteered to even try but there just isn't anything. My parents have really thrown down on my for not doing anything and even though I feel like Im drowning nobody seems to hear. I'm sorry if I thought someone might help me here

I think there was plenty of good advice given. :confused:

Now whether the OP wants to hear it or not...

what are you confused about exactly?
    nimrod86 wrote: »
    true, but I think anyone can tell you AH is no place for advise?

I replied to this poster that some people can give good advice in AH. I never said it was not given on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

OP sorry but you're 18 and should stand on your own two feet. Your parents won't be around forever so start your own life now. My younger siblings don't have our parents around to pay for college but that doesn't stop them from getting money together somehow to make something of themselves. The answer to a problem is never at the end of a bottle either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I gave you a website and told you to post in the college forum and someone else posted two other links.

Take my advice and try get a good night's sleep and look at some courses tomorrow, there must be something out there you can do.
    Parents are not always perfect they make mistakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

there is a job if you look hard enough. dont give up. when i was looking for one i went all around dublin going into every single restaurant, cafe, bar, hotel, shop, etc handing out cv's. i must of handed out 200, i eventually got one in a bar.

but the trick was dont just hand in a cv and walk off. ask for the manager, firm handshake, be polite and well dressed. give the best first impression possibe. well thats from my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

How much are the fees?

Is there any strawberry picking or something like that around your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I have done all I could, I feel like Im drowning nobody seems to hear. I'm sorry if I thought someone might help me here
    An Adele song seems appropriate right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sindri wrote: »
    How much are the fees?

Is there any strawberry picking or something like that around your area?

In Galway the strawberries wear waterwings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im sure your parents would help you out if they could OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

This experience will teach you more about the real world than any amount of time at college will - you're gonna learn that life is an absolute bítch and it will rarely pan out the way you thought it would, and how you cope and work around it is gonna be one heck of a learning experience.

No one said it's gonna be easy or a free ride, but enough blood, sweat and tears will get you to where you want to be.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

nimrod86 wrote: »
    true, but I think anyone can tell you AH is no place for advise?

It can be the best place for it, if you are seriously looking for help,AHs will help all we can.
    humbert wrote: »
    OP was looking for sympathy, not advice.
    Not really going the right way about it though.
    Dick. If you knew the sh/t I have to deal with myself with zero to fck support you wouldn't be surprised if you turned to a bottle for help.

Try to stand on your own two feet OP, obviously you cannot rely on your parents now so do it for yourself, take jobs if and when you can get them,do what you can to put yourself through College and you might start to feel better about yourself.

It could be if your parents see you trying to sort yourself out, they will try to help if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Whats sad about it? it makes perfect sense. Resources aren't finite.

Life is full of tough breaks. I have 5 older then me. I turned out ok.
    Mainly because I didn't depend on my parents to support me after I became an adult. Things you gain yourself are always more treasured.

This experience will teach you more about the real world than any amount of time at college will - you're gonna learn that life is an absolute bítch and it will rarely pan out the way you thought it would, and how you cope and work around it is gonna be one heck of a learning experience.

No one said it's gonna be easy or a free ride, but enough blood, sweat and tears will get you to where you want to be.

Good luck :)

All he has to do is know what he wants and work hard for it. And if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it. Look, believe me,... the more OP's we got making it in this world... the better off this world will be, especially for Galwegians. Go ahead, Yul Brenners. Go get your palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My parents couldn't afford to send me away, and I didn't qualify for any grants.

Went to college in my home town, was lucky enough to get a scholarship to pay part of my registration fees, took out a loan and worked as many hours as I could for the 4 years to pay the other fees and for books, transport and stuff.

Got a scholarship for my masters which still wouldn't be enough for fees and living expenses so I lived at home and worked a near minimum wage job I hated for over a year to save!

My parents helped me by not charging me rent for the 4 years of my undergrad and helping pay off my loans, which I will always be grateful for, and honestly I feel a little bad that they are still paying them. As soon as I finish my masters this year and find work I will take over the loan.

The OP here made me angry.

Whats sad about it? it makes perfect sense. Resources aren't finite.

Life is full of tough breaks. I have 5 older then me. I turned out ok.
    Mainly because I didn't depend on my parents to support me after I became an adult. Things you gain yourself are always more treasured.

Not all parents are the same, not all young adults are the same either micky.
    What might be simple to you or I could be scary to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

emzolita wrote: »
    Me hole! I got nothing

Sample of one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

ColeTrain wrote: »
    All he has to do is know what he wants and work hard for it. And if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it. Look, believe me,... the more OP's we got making it in this world... the better off this world will be, especially for Galwegians. Go ahead, Yul Brenners. Go get your palace.

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

I had sympathy for you before I looked through your past threads. Life's tough with that iPhone 4 of yours and waiting for the iPhone 5?
    Sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

OP, you said you haven't applied for the grant. Apply. I apply every year even though we're always 50 euro or so over the limit, because if you apply you can seek help elsewhere. I tried really hard to find any help I might be entitled to with college, even spoke to the Lord Mayor to see if she knew of any place that might help me.
    I haven't been able to get a proper job but I manage to get occasional work in market research doing survey work etc. and put that towards college.
    I also don't spend money on drink or anything else. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a night out or went to the cinema or did anything really, because my education is more important to me.

I'm not saying you don't have it hard, but you need to make the effort if you want to go. Ask for help, apply for the grant, some colleges give financial assistance, some businesses fund people in their local areas to go, places like SFI for instance awarded money & laptops & a mentor to women who achieved highly in LC maths & science subjects. Or colleges have like scholarship things for people who achieve highly.

Basically you need to ask for help if you want it, and to make an effort yourself. Thankfully I got some assistance thanks to a very helpful woman in my local area. I also hope in a few years I'll be able to extend that same help to people in similar circumstances, that can't afford college but are just over the limit for a grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I don't know what you mean by "volunteered to even try". OP like I said, deep breath, go to bed and maybe in the morning when you're in a more positive mindset you will be able to see things differently. People here are trying to help but in your current vodka induced mental state it will be of absolutely no use to you so subscribe to this thread so you remember it in the morning, brush your teeth and hit the sack for a few hours.
    I'm not denying that he might be spoiled and he might even be in the wrong. But he just got the news today and hasn't taken it very well, the last thing he needs is to be put down in a public forum :L

And I'd love to know how many people here actually put themselves through college. I know my friends and I will be relying heavily on our parents for some financial support come September and I know there are thousands of people all over the country like that. Granted, most parents are happy to do this but it's neither here nor there. And I think that if I were in his parents position I wouldn't be able to choose between my children, it would be everyone or no one. They don't sound like nice people.
    Maybe his parents didn't decide to choose between the kids as you put it, but maybe with the recession their financial situation has changed since the OPs siblings went to college? I mean a lot of people are in a situation now that they could never have envisioned 5 years ago.
    what are you confused about exactly?

I replied to this poster that some people can give good advice in AH. I never said it was not given on this thread.
    Confused as to why people are saying he shouldn't come here for advice, there has been great advice given from the kick up the arse sort to posting links to college finance websites and forums. Sure you're going to get your messers here but all in all I think people have been very fair to the OP!

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means! :D

That's cool, I gotta run..

Not all parents are the same, not all young adults are the same either micky.
    What might be simple to you or I could be scary to someone else.

It was far from simple and really scary at the time.

I just got told today that I'm not going to college. My other two sisters are going and they can't afford to send me. Great yeah I had to take a year out so they could save and I was promised to go this year but obviously that's not the case! Well ffs! I'm always the one to get ****ed over constantly and nobody gives a flying **** what happens to me.

I've told them how much this gets me down and how bad I'm coping with everything besides that but they really don't give a **** and have said so.
    I seriously don't know what to do? Do I take off to Australia or what?
    It seems my most reliable friend is a bottle of vodka and even he doesn't last!!

And yeah I'm home from drinking from being out in Galway for the Volvo but that didn't seen to lift my spirits. Well **** it all anyway!!:mad:

You'll be grand.

Shur you're only a young fella, You have so much to explore and live yet. Don't let the small details bog you down.

Contact any AH mod if you want to reopen this tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement