Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to deal with not-so-friendly neighbour?

• 05-07-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

About a month ago I was getting the last bus home from town and I comitted the cardinal sin of sitting up top. A couple got on shortly after me and sat two or three rows behind me. They were p!ssed drunk and continued to drink cans on the bus. The bloke, with several missing teeth and that typical Dublin junkie look, was doing his best to wind me up and/or intimidate me in an attempt to amuse his girlfriend. Most of it was harmless incomprehensible BS (what with his toothless drunken slurring) so it didn't bother me.

Then when it came to my stop I got off, and so did they. As I was walking the short distance to my house the bloke made two or three feint runs at me as if he was going to attack me, presuambly to make me flinch. I didn't react whatsoever and he then said "ah sure I'm only messing with ya bud" and then wishing me a good night before turning into a house on my road. I had never seen the bloke before and there's only 16 houses on my road so I guess he must be a newly moved in neighbour.

I hadn't seen him since, 'till tonight when he for no reason threw an almost full can of Budweiser at me and my girlfirend as we were walking by his garden and then saying "I'll bounce that off your f*cking head." Luckily he missed my head by a few inches. He made to run over to us, face red and veins pulsing, but his girlfriend/wife had to restrain him. We didn't say anything and walked on.

I'm fairly certain he doesn't actually know I live on the same road, and I'm not sure he recognised me at all from that time on the bus. He really has been utterly hammered the two times I've encountered him, he's probably forgotten all about tonight too.

It does bother me though, that I have a neighbour who has no qualms about throwing a largely full beer can at a young couple walking down the street in broad day light and then trying to do worse, all while unprovoked.

I was thinking of knocking in tomorrow morning to ask him what is problem is, or has he mistaken me for someone he mislikes, but I can't imagine he would respond too well to that. Anyway, that could just serve to remind him of me or alert him to the fact I'm his neighbour. Calling the Guards wouldn't be of much use and if they did knock in to have a word with him a brick would probably come through my window. He does rent the place but I can't see how I'd contact the owner.

Would I be best just to continue to ignore him and walk on by at any future instances?

TL;DR: Best solution to dealing with scummy neighbour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Just ignore him, he is a dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just stay away from my ****in property and we will be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Thats ****in' scary. +1 with hondasam It's hard to deal with drunkies just ignore the bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

Walk on by.

He'll pick the wrong person some day in the near future and will learn a very valuable lesson, but there's no sense in being that person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

In before the "move to the Dublin forum"...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Drill a glory hole in your garden fence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Romance him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Kidnap his horse and ride his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Nuke 'em from orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

kryogen wrote: »

Upstairs on the 27 bus is not your property!

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Kidnap his horse and ride his wife.

Trust me, I'd be better off riding the horse by the look of her

Seriously, if possible ignore him, if he is as much of a bum as you say he will surely be unable to pay rent/bills and will move one way or the other?

If you have any way of getting in touch with the landlord and raising the issues you should do that.

AH answer? I guess you should burn his house down and piss on the ashes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kryogen wrote: »
    Oscorp wrote: »
    Upstairs on the 27 bus is not your property!

Lol. Welcome to AHs OP.

Oh, and ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Getting a very varied sort in D4, thesedays, since the celtic tiger died. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I would say to contact the landlord if you had their details, but to be honest I'd say he'll be brought to the attention of the landlord sooner or later.

If that can had've hit my gf I would've reacted and that's what bothers me. Who knows what could've happened. I feel uncomfortable about ignoring it but I also see the futility, and possible danger, in reporting it or politely questioning him about it.

policarp wrote: »
    Getting a very varied sort in D4, thesedays, since the celtic tiger died. . .

I'm in D5, Coolock. This sort has always been here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

you let a knacker throw a half full can at your head then threaten you, all in front of your girlfriend and did nothing about it?

Dont worry he wont be your neighbour for long. your missus now knows you are an absolute coward, she wont be with you for much longer and yyou wont be able to afford the house on your own, you will end up on your own in some one bed apt, with nothing to do only turn to drink, eventually the drink wont be enough and you will hit the drugs. hard. From there its all just one big rollercoster untill eventually you one day, will be sitting atop a dublin bus abusing random coulpes and throwing cans of beer at them.

If that can had've hit my gf I would've reacted and that's what bothers me. Who knows what could've happened. I feel uncomfortable about ignoring it but I also see the futility, and possible danger, in reporting it or politely questioning him about it.

There is no polite way of dealing with these individuals, either meet it head on with aggression or try your best to ignore it and hope it goes away :)

rogieop wrote: »
    you let a knacker throw a half full can at your head then threaten you, all in front of your girlfriend and did nothing about it?

Dont worry he wont be your neighbour for long. your missus now knows you are an absolute coward, she wont be with you for much longer and yyou wont be able to afford the house on your own, you will end up on your own in some one bed apt, with nothing to do only turn to drink, eventually the drink wont be enough and you will hit the drugs. hard. From there its all just one big rollercoster untill eventually you one day, will be sitting atop a dublin bus abusing random coulpes and throwing cans of beer at them.

Well yeah, I'm not the most physically imposing guy and the knacker was in a manic state of anger, adrenaline seeping from his needle marks. I would've gotten flattened and he didn't have much teeth for me to knock out anyway! And why take the risk, I wouldn't put it past a bloke like that to use a weapon or do some serious damage..

I live with my parents by the way and am quite young so that one bed apt and alchohol sounds quite appealing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Stop winding him up and he won't react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Well yeah, I'm not the most physically imposing guy and the knacker was in a manic state of anger, adrenaline seeping from his needle marks. I would've gotten flattened and he didn't have much teeth for me to knock out anyway! And why take the risk, I wouldn't put it past a bloke like that to use a weapon or do some serious damage..

I live with my parents by the way and am quite young so that one bed apt and alchohol sounds quite appealing![/QUOTE
    Any brothers that would help beat the crap out of him OP. BTW, how old are you and the scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

I live with my parents by the way and am quite young so that one bed apt and alchohol sounds quite appealing!

i was indeed taking the mickey, you did the right thing on the bus. no question.

But seriously, you should have made a stand with the can situation. that could do damage.

I know where you're coming from re size etc but i have absolutely no respect for junkies, they dont have a punch in them either. if you let a junkie walk all over you how do you expect to get on in life?

If he does anything again put it up to him. and be confident, guarantee you he'll back off and shout stuff as he walks away. worst comes to worst you'll take a beating, so what, your not the first and wont be the last and at least then if you want you can go to the guards.

Once you've done this, whatever the outcome you will feel a lot better for it.

And dont ever forget "its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Stop winding him up and he won't react

OP, that applies to rogieoc too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Why don't you hitch your house onto the van and drive off to some other road.

i was indeed taking the mickey, you did the right thing on the bus. no question.

But seriously, you should have made a stand with the can situation. that could do damage.

I know where you're coming from re size etc but i have absolutely no respect for junkies, they dont have a punch in them either. if you let a junkie walk all over you how do you expect to get on in life?

If he does anything again put it up to him. and be confident, guarantee you he'll back off and shout stuff as he walks away. worst comes to worst you'll take a beating, so what, your not the first and wont be the last and at least then if you want you can go to the guards.

And dont ever forget "its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

He wasn't the scrawny, gaunt, vacant type of junkie though. He was quite big. And again, if I react in future, I'd be wary that he'd smash the windows of my parents house or something, just because I reacted. He's only 10 houses away.

I'm pretty confident he has no clue who I am and that I live on his street, and that he would've thrown that can at anyone walking by, such was his state. I think he may just have had an arguement with his missus, and was venting the way scummers do. She did look upset.

I'll just leave it be and see what unfolds.

Challenge him to a drug war

The rules, each man injects himself with heroin and the one who passes out first loses.

Of course you also have to be quite clever, trick him into thinking it is in his best interests to go first, then you pretend to inject

Repeat until he OD's and dies

Problem solved, and world made a little bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I hadn't seen him since, 'till tonight when he for no reason threw an almost full can of Budweiser at me and my girlfirend as we were walking by his garden and then saying "I'll bounce that off your f*cking head." Luckily he missed my head by a few inches. He made to run over to us, face red and veins pulsing, but his girlfriend/wife had to restrain him. We didn't say anything and walked on.

Not sure why, but reading this part cracked me up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I say "keep a low profile" OP
    These Scum have nowhere to go but down so they don't really care what they do.
    Sooner or later(and this is for sure) they will end up bad, just avoid them till then;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Pretend to be gay and make sexual advances towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

He wasn't the scrawny, gaunt, vacant type of junkie though. He was quite big. And again, if I react in future, I'd be wary that he'd smash the windows of my parents house or something, just because I reacted. He's only 10 houses away.

I'm pretty confident he has no clue who I am and that I live on his street, and that he would've thrown that can at anyone walking by, such was his state. I think he may just have had an arguement with his missus, and was venting the way scummers do. She did look upset.

I'll just leave it be and see what unfolds.

So the two time this altercation took place he didn't know it was you both times?

Wouldn't say it's much to worry about OP but if he's outside again and you're walking past and he gives abit of abuse it's probably best you walk past your house if you're heading that direction. You don't want idiots like that near your house especially with folks there but if you live in a cul de sc just chin him and say "I'm top dog of this road". Clowns like this their bark is always worse than their bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

MInd your own business and leave that man alone.

So the two time this altercation took place he didn't know it was you both times?

Wouldn't say it's much to worry about OP but if he's outside again and you're walking past and he gives abit of abuse it's probably best you walk past your house if you're heading that direction. You don't want idiots like that near your house especially with folks there but if you live in a cul de sc just chin him and say "I'm top dog of this road". Clowns like this their bark is always worse than their bite.

It's the only two times we've ever encountered each other. A month between the two instances and he actually threw the can at us when we were slightly past his garden. He wasn't looking at us when we walking by (as far as I'm aware, I wasn't looking either!), he appeared to have been pacing up and down his garden beforehand. Once he realised someone walked by he flung it, so I reckon he didn't recognise me and that he would've threw it at anyone

Good advice, I did make sure not to walk into the garden incase he was watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd say leave it for now, but if there's another incident, I'd definitely confront him. The thing is, when someone tries to intimidate you or whatever, the more they get away with, the worse they'll get. Next time you see him, if he passes a comment or whatever, I'd stop and say to him "this is the 3rd time now, what's the problem? I've never talked to you in my life, I'm your neighbour, what's the deal?". He'll more than likely go on a rant and when he does I'd just say here mate fu*k off, and walk away, if he shouts threats after you just say yeah yeah. I'd say stand up to him to an extent, without actually escolating it, but I would let the fuc*ker know I'm not scared of him and that any more sh*t could turn out badly for him.*

* N.B. only if you know you could take him if worst came to worst. ;) Obviously don't look for a fight, but if he went for you, don't antagonise him if in all likelyhood he'd hammer you. He's so wasted half the time anyway, that if he did attack you, putting him on his arse could sort it all out. Only in self defence ever though. You have a right to defend yourself.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'd say leave it for now, but if there's another incident, I'd definitely confront him. The thing is, when someone tries to intimidate you or whatever, the more they get away with, the worse they'll get. Next time you see him, if he passes a comment or whatever, I'd stop and say to him "this is the 3rd time now, what's the problem? I've never talked to you in my life, I'm your neighbour, what's the deal?". He'll more than likely go on a rant and when he does I'd just say here mate fu*k off, and walk away, if he shouts threats after you just say yeah yeah. I'd say stand up to him to an extent, without actually excolating it, but I would let the fuc*ker know I'm not scared of him and that any more sh*t could turn out badly for him.*

* N.B. only if you know you could take him if worst came to worst. ;) Obviously don't look for a fight, but if he went for you, don't antagonise him if in all likelyhood he'd hammer you. He's so wasted half the time anyway, that if he did attack you, putting him on his arse could sort it all out. Only in self defence ever though. You have a right to defend yourself.

I seriously doubt I could take him, unless he was strung out.

The thing is, walking home from the bus when he was making those feint runs at me, I didn't flinch at all and laughed. Not at him and not in a mocking way, but just to show I wasn't taking it serious and show my bemusement and the thing is he got cheery said he was only messing and wished me a good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

It's the only two times we've ever encountered each other. A month between the two instances and he actually threw the can at us when we were slightly past his garden. He wasn't looking at us when we walking by (as far as I'm aware, I wasn't looking either!), he appeared to have been pacing up and down his garden beforehand. Once he realised someone walked by he flung it, so I reckon he didn't recognise me and that he would've threw it at anyone

Good advice, I did make sure not to walk into the garden incase he was watching.

Just be extra careful if the misses is there too, especially if his gf is a bit of a skank. One look from your gf to his and all hell could break lose. Woman can be worse than men in situations like this. Pieces of crap like this tosser are getting away with far to much these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

In that case, just ignore, ignore, ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Awkward situation, op.
    You've got a right scumbag bollix for a neighbour.

On one hand, you should say something to him. Simply, "what the fu*k is your problem!" - Stand your ground. He sounds like a 'shaper' too. Probably nothing behind him.

Whilst on the other hand, who wants further agro. Because he is a scumbag. Its happened thousands of times where a scumbag gets rightfully told off by a neighbour... and only for said scumbag to try and make that persons life a living hell. Putting a brick through your sitting room window. smashing your car window...trying to rob your place. you name it someone has gone through it.

But you got to stand your ground. If you don't it'll get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I don't believe this story.

But if true, you should borrow your old man's 5 iron (I'm sure he has one), and swing by the miscreant's abode, politely requesting he desists from manually propelling semi-ingested cans of lager at your bonce.

He'll understand that.

I don't believe this story.

But if true, you should borrow your old man's 5 iron (I'm sure he has one), and swing by the miscreant's abode, politely requesting he desists from manually propelling semi-ingested cans of lager at your bonce.

He'll understand that.

Why not? If I was telling porkies for a laugh I'd like to think I could come up with something better than a big bold man throwing a can at me. It sounds so mundane I was almost not going to create the thread.

• Advertisement

Did you create an account just to ask in AH for advice on this (alleged) ne'er do well?

Haven't you sought counsel IRL?

Has no one else on your road remarked on this ruffian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I've more tended to frequent the pets section around here, and it's almost funny how much this resembles threads complaining about people's out of control dogs threatening boardsies or their dogs and kids as they pass!

And perhaps the ways of dealing with it aren't that different either. With the dogs I advise (short of getting the owners to restrain them, often not present, as in this case!), giving them a fright rather than actually threatening injury with injury, as in compressed air or a handful of fine gravel thrown.

So perhaps both you and gf could carry pepper spray, and be prepared to use if things escalate. After all, he is a yobbo and you are a civilised person, so I wouldn't be too bothered that spray is a thing for girls. It's not. Avoiding coming to blows is how a civilised person proceeds, as they don't think with their, eh, nether equipment. But don't particularly want to be left having their butt kicked either.

If he doesn't bother you again, you never need to pay him any attention either. But if he ever threatens with violence, you have a contingency plan. Just my 2 cent.

Did you create an account just to ask in AH for advice on this (alleged) ne'er do well?

Haven't you sought counsel IRL?

Has no one else on your road remarked on this ruffian?

Created the account three or four days ago, long time lurker.

Bar from my gf, no I haven't.

Not to me anyway, although what my elderly neighbours say to each other over cups of tea I don't know.

Pepper spray's a restricted weapon of sorts. Not legal.

If you gas him he can have you in court. Better off with the golf bat. And some tartan trews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Leave the scumbag to his own devices, give people like that enough rope and they will hang themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

If you gas him he can have you in court. Better off with the golf bat. And some tartan trews.

Pepper sprays considered a firearm in this country. Deap heat spray however is legal and burns like fook when sprayed in the eyes. Not that I am suggesting anything here.

Thanks for all your advice anyway. I'm just going to let it be. The chances of it being personal are quite low as I doubt he had the capacity to remember me from the bus, and besides, he ended that instance wishing me well. We were most likely just in the wrong place at the wrong time tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Fair enough so. Guess the rogue dog issue is a lot simpler. Can't believe people get up on their high horse about how dogs "have more rights than people" in this state so.

Shame it's not so simple to get this guy restricted from holding beer cans in public! One thing I would say, if op is forced to pass the scumbag in his front garden again, at least turn on video cam on his phone before approaching, and hold it down surreptitiously at hip level pointing at him. That way, if he tries anything, he will be documented doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Learn self defense. If (god forbid) something happens you can at least protect yourself. This guy seems like the kind of person who, no matter what you do will just want to start on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Take it from me there are only 2 ways of dealing with wankbags like this.

1. Ignore him and hope he goes away, he may or he may not. He's already caused you trouble twice though so i'm coming down on the may not side of the fence here

2. Play him at his own game - next time he gives you grief, kick the shít out of him, if he's as drunk as you reckon it shouldn't be too much of an effort.

Either way if he's out to torment you, he's going to torment you so you might as well get the satisfaction of giving him a few slaps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement