Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to deal with not-so-friendly neighbour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not just murder him and hang his lifeless body from the overpass, thats how the mexicans handle these things.

*apologies to the mexicans for a generalisation

I see no value in any kind of confrontation. Certainly not to impress your GF as one user suggested. I have studied a few kinds of martial arts traditions and some forms of meditation and the like. The one message running through them all is that conflict avoidance is the best self defence. Those studying Karate for example will often tell you that you learn to fight so you never have to.

Further it sounds like this druggie barely remembers anything from day to day. You cant "teach him a lesson" because whether you kick his ass today, or him yours, he will likely forget by this time next week anyway and will have learned nothing.

Posturing and masculine displys of dominance and territory are for the other animals, not people. Be ready to defend yourself if required but other than that be the bigger man here and let it slide.

All that said there may be some usefullness is opening a dialouge with the other neighbours to see if they know more about this person and his behaviour. There is also use in making them aware of what has happened to you so they can be vigilant. It may also be worth approaching the police. They do not have to call around to him and you can specifically request that they do not. Just make it clear to them you want it on record that there is a problem here. Should it ever escalate and they get called out they will have your report on file to refer to later to go "Oh yes, this guy highlighted this before".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Let it go for now and try to avoid him if you can.
    If it happens again though you'll have to stand up for yourself and knock the bollox out of him.
    If you continue to let him pick on you, you'll be an easy target and it'll only get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So are ye gonna batter him or wha'?

Also, report to the gardee, in fear for your safety etc, be sure to mention the assault with the can. The coppers are'nt gonna do anything but you've primed them for any nastiness that follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Oscorp wrote: »
    About a month ago I was getting the last bus home from town and I comitted the cardinal sin of sitting up top. A couple got on shortly after me and sat two or three rows behind me. They were p!ssed drunk and continued to drink cans on the bus. The bloke, with several missing teeth and that typical Dublin junkie look, was doing his best to wind me up and/or intimidate me in an attempt to amuse his girlfriend. Most of it was harmless incomprehensible BS (what with his toothless drunken slurring) so it didn't bother me.

Then when it came to my stop I got off, and so did they. As I was walking the short distance to my house the bloke made two or three feint runs at me as if he was going to attack me, presuambly to make me flinch. I didn't react whatsoever and he then said "ah sure I'm only messing with ya bud" and then wishing me a good night before turning into a house on my road. I had never seen the bloke before and there's only 16 houses on my road so I guess he must be a newly moved in neighbour.

I hadn't seen him since, 'till tonight when he for no reason threw an almost full can of Budweiser at me and my girlfirend as we were walking by his garden and then saying "I'll bounce that off your f*cking head." Luckily he missed my head by a few inches. He made to run over to us, face red and veins pulsing, but his girlfriend/wife had to restrain him. We didn't say anything and walked on.

I'm fairly certain he doesn't actually know I live on the same road, and I'm not sure he recognised me at all from that time on the bus. He really has been utterly hammered the two times I've encountered him, he's probably forgotten all about tonight too.

It does bother me though, that I have a neighbour who has no qualms about throwing a largely full beer can at a young couple walking down the street in broad day light and then trying to do worse, all while unprovoked.

I was thinking of knocking in tomorrow morning to ask him what is problem is, or has he mistaken me for someone he mislikes, but I can't imagine he would respond too well to that. Anyway, that could just serve to remind him of me or alert him to the fact I'm his neighbour. Calling the Guards wouldn't be of much use and if they did knock in to have a word with him a brick would probably come through my window. He does rent the place but I can't see how I'd contact the owner.

Would I be best just to continue to ignore him and walk on by at any future instances?

TL;DR: Best solution to dealing with scummy neighbour?

find out who his landlord is then phone the landlord and say that they guy is selling heroin from the house... watch landlord evict him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

whatever you do don't call to his house, idiots like that can't be reasoned with - and it will just fuel the situation more.

Ignore + avoid him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we have an extremely rude and dangerous neighbour in terenure, we just put her on ignore. does her head in because she is very very nosy, and not knowing what we are up to drives her mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Same in Ballyfermot ^^^^^

If you walk around and look like someone who won't do anything back you can get cans, bottles and abuse thrown your way

Soon enough they'll know you to see you. They don't know your name or anything about you but they know you're a target

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hide some crack cocaine in his garden and call the cops saying you saw him burying something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Report each time he threatens you to the Gardai. Tell them he was drunk, abusive and threatening you with violence, get your girlfriend to give a statement too. If you need to give him a hiding in the future you will have some evidence that it was in self defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I'm in D5, Coolock. This sort has always been here!

where? im from d5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Those studying Karate for example will often tell you that you learn to fight so you never have to.

I think that was that Mr. Miyagi chap.
    Nice bloke in fairness, but hard as nails i hear!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You dont need scumbags at your door day and night ' like its been said before give this scumbag enough rope , its a sure thing they will get their deserts soon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

Walk up to him and say 'Alreeeeyyy buddddd. Storrrryyyyyyyyy?' Offer to share a spliff and before you know it, you'll be shooting up with him in his empty kitchen whilst his skang turns tricks upstairs. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

As others have said, call the Gards. It's the job to sort this stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Ask him did he see TV3s Lawless Ireland, and that he reminds you of the people who feature in it. That will surly make him think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Make him an offer he cant refuse....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

He's an alcohil junkie, he's weak.

You need to knock the $hite out of him once "after being provoked" 1 more time by him

Then he will never ever bother you again

simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Get an 80s ghetto blaster and head down to his place in the middle of the night. Pump up that volume and get your message across with classics like "How can we be lovers when we can't be friends" (showing love is the only answer), "We're all part of Jackie's Army" (indicating we're all in this together), "What's another year" (stressing this trivial feud is a waste of time) and "Like a Bridge over Troubled Water" (highlighting you're preapred to be that bridge). Release a Chinese lantern on completion of the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

dude,you come across as a well brought up guy.my advice would be to give him a wide berth.you,ll always meet arsehol3s either on the street or the interweb.
    never carry a weapon even for 'self defense' as its likely you,ll be the one who gets it used on them.
    but theres only so much a man can take and if you find your cornered,your survival skills will kick in,trust me,
    'nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Do not listen to people who said call the Garda. That will escalate the situation so much more.

All the guards will do is knock in his door and warn him. Straight away that scumbag will knock straight up to your house and all sorts could happen. He'll never stop then.

Best to ignore it but if it does get bad you're going to have to face it. Also, do not let him walk all over you if you do he'll never stop. Just be wise and careful and remember that if he's drunk he could get pretty aggressive but if he's overly drunk a hard kick to the side of his knee and watch that piece of crap drop then it's up to you how much you want to hurt him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Get a box and put it standin at 90degrees with a stick holdin it up and tie on a string to the stick
    Put a can of bud under it and when he comes out and sees the can he will immediately run under it that's when you pull the string and then drill the box shut
    And go to o'connell bridge and let him loose with his own kind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Stand outside his house in your boxers and swing a tennis racket around, put the fear into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

we have an extremely rude and dangerous neighbour in terenure, we just put her on ignore. does her head in because she is very very nosy, and not knowing what we are up to drives her mad

How is nosey being dangerous ?

Unless it's a very very pointy nose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Dress up in some kind of uniform and pretend to call your mates in Germany :D

Seriously, sometimes ignoring might be a good solution, some of them are just looking for attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Do not listen to people who said call the Garda. That will escalate the situation so much more.

All the guards will do is knock in his door and warn him. Straight away that scumbag will knock straight up to your house and all sorts could happen. He'll never stop then.

Best to ignore it but if it does get bad you're going to have to face it. Also, do not let him walk all over you if you do he'll never stop. Just be wise and careful and remember that if he's drunk he could get pretty aggressive but if he's overly drunk a hard kick to the side of his knee and watch that piece of crap drop then it's up to you how much you want to hurt him!

Couldn't agree more, deffo don't call the Gardaí, they'll ask you for a lift.

*Note - you could actually hire a garda uniform and walk down your street wearing the uniform,
    make sure he's in the front garden drinking his cans. Lean on his wall and give him a nod, make sure it's daylight and he see's your face.

LOL - deffo won't go near ya again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Brick his windows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

preddy wrote: »
    Brick his windows!

He might be a Linux user.

Carry a claw hammer, next time he looks at you, bounce it off his F****** head

;);):p

(joke)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

mikemac1 wrote: »

If you walk around and look like someone who won't do anything back you can get cans, bottles and abuse thrown your way

Soon enough they'll know you to see you. They don't know your name or anything about you but they know you're a target

Yeah same in my area too. It is important to learn to carry yourself.

I generally try to look like I am on my way to kill someone when I am walking through the area. Works a treat. Try to master the, 'I have just eaten my dog and now I am going to find some kittens for desert' look.

If you look "nice", "soft" or "posh" in any way then these scum think your a target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm really not a tough person but if he had thrown that can at my girlfriend and I, I know I would have ended up in an argument of some sort. Not advocating that you would do that but I know that I'd struggle to not react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Alright - Im from Northern Ireland - I know exactly how to sort out the scumbeg.. ;)

DO NOT touch him - Seriously he probably carries a weapon to protect his stash/has much bigger and more dangerous likely ex convicts as friends, You dont wanna start a street war with an aggressive junkie.

What you do is psych him the f*ck out.

Brick his house at night, steal his weelie bins, cut his clothes line, post things in his letterbox telling him he's being watched. Get Pizzas and Taxis sent to his house.

He'll become a paranoid recluse guarding his house from the inside.

Solved :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

About a month ago I was getting the last bus home from town and I comitted the cardinal sin of sitting up top. A couple got on shortly after me and sat two or three rows behind me. They were p!ssed drunk and continued to drink cans on the bus. The bloke, with several missing teeth and that typical Dublin junkie look, was doing his best to wind me up and/or intimidate me in an attempt to amuse his girlfriend. Most of it was harmless incomprehensible BS (what with his toothless drunken slurring) so it didn't bother me.

Then when it came to my stop I got off, and so did they. As I was walking the short distance to my house the bloke made two or three feint runs at me as if he was going to attack me, presuambly to make me flinch. I didn't react whatsoever and he then said "ah sure I'm only messing with ya bud" and then wishing me a good night before turning into a house on my road. I had never seen the bloke before and there's only 16 houses on my road so I guess he must be a newly moved in neighbour.

I hadn't seen him since, 'till tonight when he for no reason threw an almost full can of Budweiser at me and my girlfirend as we were walking by his garden and then saying "I'll bounce that off your f*cking head." Luckily he missed my head by a few inches. He made to run over to us, face red and veins pulsing, but his girlfriend/wife had to restrain him. We didn't say anything and walked on.

I'm fairly certain he doesn't actually know I live on the same road, and I'm not sure he recognised me at all from that time on the bus. He really has been utterly hammered the two times I've encountered him, he's probably forgotten all about tonight too.

It does bother me though, that I have a neighbour who has no qualms about throwing a largely full beer can at a young couple walking down the street in broad day light and then trying to do worse, all while unprovoked.

I was thinking of knocking in tomorrow morning to ask him what is problem is, or has he mistaken me for someone he mislikes, but I can't imagine he would respond too well to that. Anyway, that could just serve to remind him of me or alert him to the fact I'm his neighbour. Calling the Guards wouldn't be of much use and if they did knock in to have a word with him a brick would probably come through my window. He does rent the place but I can't see how I'd contact the owner.

Would I be best just to continue to ignore him and walk on by at any future instances?

LMAOF to this part:) throw him a couple of slaps if ya feel up to it, otherwise take a scuttery ****e in his garden when he's not there. Throw it at the house if your feeling braver;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Pretend to be gay and make sexual advances towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The thing is, walking home from the bus when he was making those feint runs at me, I didn't flinch at all and laughed. Not at him and not in a mocking way, but just to show I wasn't taking it serious and show my bemusement and the thing is he got cheery said he was only messing and wished me a good night!
    He copped that he could not intimidate you. When you cannot intimidate someone, it's usually because they know they can take you on. And you generally don't want to get on their bad side.

Thus why he got cheery and wished you a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Trust me, I'd be better off riding the horse by the look of her

That's why he's always drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I once saw a tracksuit type hurl a full can of beer at my bus on our beloved charming O'Connell St

It's the waste of beer and money that gets me, at least drink it up first and then chuck the can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ignore ignore ignore. Keep your distance walk at the other side of the road etc.
    I'd guess if he knew you were living beside him though he would change. Sounds like he is all mouth though.

Send him down a couple of bottles of whiskey and he might drink them and choke on his vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

Just stay out of his way.
    He will get evicted sooner or later.If not he'll end up in jail for something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

rogieop wrote: »
    you let a knacker throw a half full can at your head then threaten you, all in front of your girlfriend and did nothing about it?

Dont worry he wont be your neighbour for long. your missus now knows you are an absolute coward, she wont be with you for much longer and yyou wont be able to afford the house on your own, you will end up on your own in some one bed apt, with nothing to do only turn to drink, eventually the drink wont be enough and you will hit the drugs. hard. From there its all just one big rollercoster untill eventually you one day, will be sitting atop a dublin bus abusing random coulpes and throwing cans of beer at them.

Disagree, if you have a chance to walk away from a fight then take it. if you have no chance to walk away then fight. My gf would want me to protect her but would not be amused if I got into a fight with some kind of scumbag. u could catch manner of diseases.

Bambi wrote: »
    So are ye gonna batter him or wha'?

Also, report to the gardee, in fear for your safety etc, be sure to mention the assault with the can. The coppers are'nt gonna do anything but you've primed them for any nastiness that follows.

report him to the guards and he will vandalise the house. the OP does not have to see him every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Get a bullseye tatooed on your forehead and give him a fiver for ever time he hits it, also, start letting him ride your girlfriend and sh1t in your front room. Might as well get the full set. That or grow a pair and fight him. You may well lose, but at least we will respect you for having a go, He might as well. I also have a strong desire to throw cans of beer at you, you sound a bit wet op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Pottler wrote: »
    Get a bullseye tatooed on your forehead and give him a fiver for ever time he hits it, also, start letting him ride your girlfriend and sh1t in your front room. Might as well get the full set. That or grow a pair and fight him. You may well lose, but at least we will respect you for having a go, He might as well. I also have a strong desire to throw cans of beer at you, you sound a bit wet op.

You seem to lost there Pottler. Allow me to help:

Mixed Martial Arts forum
    >
    <
    Manhood compensation forum
    Keyboard warrior forum
    >
    <
    My da's bigger than your da forum

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Yes, because I yearn for your respect, as well as that of some scummer, over that of my girlfriend, who would seriously freak at me if I were to endanger us both by picking a fight with a drunken lout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Not being smart but your first mistake is treating these people as if they're reasonable human beings.

Just tell him to f*ck off and he will or you'll have to stand your ground. Unfortunately this is how these people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He might as well. I also have a strong desire to throw cans of beer at you, you sound a bit wet op.

So you are a bully then. You feel you can attack someone who you consider a bit wet. Or that they even deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Alright - Im from Northern Ireland - I know exactly how to sort out the scumbeg.. ;)

DO NOT touch him - Seriously he probably carries a weapon to protect his stash/has much bigger and more dangerous likely ex convicts as friends, You dont wanna start a street war with an aggressive junkie.

What you do is psych him the f*ck out.

Brick his house at night, steal his weelie bins, cut his clothes line, post things in his letterbox telling him he's being watched. Get Pizzas and Taxis sent to his house.

He'll become a paranoid recluse guarding his house from the inside.

Solved :cool:

You impress and scare me at the same time...

dude,you come across as a well brought up guy.my advice would be to give him a wide berth.you,ll always meet arsehol3s either on the street or the interweb.
    never carry a weapon even for 'self defense' as its likely you,ll be the one who gets it used on them.
    but theres only so much a man can take and if you find your cornered,your survival skills will kick in,trust me,
    'nuff said.

I rang the guards when the locals were having a street brawl. the first thing they asked was 'any knives?". he who is carrying the knife is the dangerous party. one them tried it on with me. his mate restrained him and told me to move one. I told him I was not moving on and that I had every right to be there and they were not going to tell me what to do. unwise. if you are going to get a hiding or stabbed make sure its for something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

mikemac1 wrote: »

I live in Ballyfermot and this is not my experience at all - my area is very friendly and safe. It's comments like this that give Ballyfermot a bad reputation it doesn't deserve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement