Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2015

Options
  • 05-07-2012 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

The campaign to bring the final stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race back to Galway in 2015. Like the Facebook page to add your support: https://www.facebook.com/Galway2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I don't think we can get the final stoppover two events running, it will have to be something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

Could we get another leg?

In some ways it mightn't be a bad thing to not get it next time round. If it comes back in 6 years it'll be a novelty all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But what about the noise,the traffic,my parking space down the docks and that annoying pa woman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't think we can get the final stoppover two events running, it will have to be something else!

It has finished in Southampton and Portsmouth many times according to Wikipedia although to be fair, it has been changed a bit when Volvo became main sponsor.

It has also started in Alicante twice for the last 2 events so I'd say there is some hope. But I'd be happy even with a stopover... I don't see much difference in the event or crowds between 2009 and 2012 except maybe there was more buzz around the finish night. Even a stopover is great news for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Looks like Galway has a great chance of getting a stopover in the Volvo Ocean Race again in 2015

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

I was speaking to a lady while queueing for some food last night who is a friend of one of the skippers on the boats. She went to Alacante for the start and I was asking her how it compared to Galway. She said it was good but you didn't get the feeling in Spain that the whole town was behind you like here. I'd imagine that's a big draw for the organisers as well. In a lot of ports perhaps, the VOR is a thing, but in Galway it's THE thing. That has to look good for them too on their TV and other race coverage. They look good, Galway looks good, it's a win-win really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sc000by

But what about the noise,the traffic,my parking space down the docks and that annoying pa woman :)

The PA girl has definitely GOT to go!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

We might get the final stopover next time but we're going to have to spell it with only one 'p' in it :-P :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sc000by wrote: »
    The PA girl has definitely GOT to go!
    She is so gone already.

I want to see the Olympic Games in Galway. Why not? Do I phone P Conneely now or later? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Alicante have got the start for either 3 or 5 years, so it's starting there again next time, they obviously impressed the organisers.
    No reason why we can't get the finish for the same reason, might depend on an Irish boat taking part though.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Alicante have got the start for either 3 or 5 years, so it's starting there again next time, they obviously impressed the organisers.
    No reason why we can't get the finish for the same reason, might depend on an Irish boat taking part though.

We could start saving to sponsor a 'Boards' boat for 2015 - I have 50c on me right now! :)

sc000by wrote: »
    We could start saving to sponsor a 'Boards' boat for 2015 - I have 50c on me right now! :)

I got a euro. up to 1.50 already....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I got a euro. up to 1.50 already....:D

feck it I'll chip in a fiver

just another 4,499,993.50 left fro the price of a ready to go one for next time :D

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/6640_Volvo-Ocean-Race-introduces-new-boat-for-next-two-races.html

feck it I'll chip in a fiver

just another 4,499,993.50 left fro the price of a ready to go one for next time :D

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/6640_Volvo-Ocean-Race-introduces-new-boat-for-next-two-races.html

A fiver! Did you not attend the Celtic Tiger's funeral? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I did and iv saved a cent a day since to donate to a fun cuase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

These recent videos from the official Volvo Ocean Race website suggest that the organisers of the race are more than happy with Galway.

I think they will be back !

If we want them !!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The whole premise of "Alicante is hosting the next two openings" isn't the same as saying "Galway can have the next 2 finales". It just won't happen. The finale is such an important cultural, festive and prestigous undertaking that many cities around the world are going to apply for! And, as great as Galway has been, I don't see it beating them all a second time round. I think we can definitely get a stopover, but we won't get the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Go on sure, you've convinced me. I'll chip in a fiver for a Boards.ie boat. We have to do better than Sanya, right? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We could all pitch in and buy the Green Dragon, it's ****e compared to the current boards but sure feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A few proper ports in England (Southampton,Portsmouth) are desperate to get in on the act for the next race.Plus Lorient is guarenteed another leg stopover next time around.So what could be done is Galway gets the 2nd or 3rd last leg and the race finishes in England.I also know a few Swedish ports were very annoyed to not get a leg for this race hence a big reason why there was no Erickson boat this year.
    The organisers do like that the Port here is practically in the city centre and thus as someone already said it feels part of the city then.Unlike Miami were a very small crowd turned out and in Boston last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

But what about the noise,the traffic,my parking space down the docks..... :)

If we write to our masters in City Hall this week asking them to organise proper diversion signage and a traffic plan, then we might just get an answer after the 2015 event ends telling us how they can't afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Lads, this is goin on donedeal for €400 quid, might need a lick of paint but we'd manage that, this could become a reality yet!

Full-12624225.jpeg

Aiel wrote: »
    A few proper ports in England (Southampton,Portsmouth) are desperate to get in on the act for the next race.Plus Lorient is guarenteed another leg stopover next time around.So what could be done is Galway gets the 2nd or 3rd last leg and the race finishes in England.I also know a few Swedish ports were very annoyed to not get a leg for this race hence a big reason why there was no Erickson boat this year.
    The organisers do like that the Port here is practically in the city centre and thus as someone already said it feels part of the city then.Unlike Miami were a very small crowd turned out and in Boston last time.
    The organisers have described Galway as the perfect port for the Volvo Ocean Race, don't know how much better a proper port may be....

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

The organisers have described Galway as the perfect port for the Volvo Ocean Race, don't know how much better a proper port may be....

Well, of course they are going to say that, aren't they!!!!! Of course, other cities are going to pitch for it again next time round and I have no doubt, Galway will be in there with a good chance......but there are other and even better ports who will equally have as a good a chance. That is the reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

suitseir wrote: »
    Of course, other cities are going to pitch for it again next time round and I have no doubt, Galway will be in there with a good chance......but there are other and even better ports who will equally have as a good a chance. That is the reality!

I went to the trouble of checking out all the other so called 'proper' 'even better' ports which were used in this edition of the race. The race villages were often miles from the city centres and at the end of a long piers reached through grim industrial zones.

Usually the organisers of VOR have to accommodate less than 10 boats and NOWHERE has the centre of town within 300 meters and the likes of High Street/Quay street within 200 meters. And NOWHERE had the craic like we had during the last week.

As Damien Foxall said "The VOR was made for Galway and Galway was made for the VOR" and as Squonk said in an earlier post "In a lot of ports perhaps, the VOR is a thing, but in Galway it's THE thing."

So enough of running Galway down, we are 'even better' and more 'proper' than many ports for a fleet of this size and a race of this type, and the organisers know that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

clearly in 2009 the organisers were very happy with galway to give us the finale this year.

as most people in the know say, numbers were up this time, better gigs, planning etc.

this time around was better than 2009 so i cant imagine we wouldnt have a leg next year and i wont be surprised if its the final again.

not once did i hear good stuff about the legs in usa. miami this year and boston last time were a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I went to the trouble of checking out all the other so called 'proper' 'even better' ports which were used in this edition of the race. The race villages were often miles from the city centres and at the end of a long piers reached through grim industrial zones.

Usually the organisers of VOR have to accommodate less than 10 boats and NOWHERE has the centre of town within 300 meters and the likes of High Street/Quay street within 200 meters. And NOWHERE had the craic like we had during the last week.

As Damien Foxall said "The VOR was made for Galway and Galway was made for the VOR" and as Squonk said in an earlier post "In a lot of ports perhaps, the VOR is a thing, but in Galway it's THE thing."

So enough of running Galway down, we are 'even better' and more 'proper' than many ports for a fleet of this size and a race of this type, and the organisers know that too.

For the record i wasnt running Galway down,i should have said bigger ports,rather then "proper ports",my blood is maroon and white like everyone else here and i was so dam proud this week to hear all the compliments Galway has gotten.I did mention Miami and Boston as places alot less suited to the race then Galway is.
    Congrats to John Killeen who instead of saying "why" said "why not",we need more ppl like him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

http://pumavolvo70forsale.com/

1.6 million or nearest offer, il throw a fiver towards it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

next time around - all boats and rigging will be one design - i.e. each team will use the same equipment which eliminates the cheque book racing factor and significantly reduces the cost of entering a team...

this would make a competitive Irish Entry very achievable...

anyone we spoke to over the week (including one good friend who sailed on camper) agreed that Galway out shone every other stopover this time around... it was also the port that each competitior was looking forward to visit to party for a week.. most were even dissappointed that they only had a short stay here..

would be very suprised if we dont at least get another stopover and woudlnt be too suprised if it finished up here again... Volvo used Galway this time around to showcase how successful a stopover can be to future potential bidders...

if we take into account that Miami was a complete disaster and described by many as a a ghost town - we should be very proud of our city and especially proud of all the volunteers who made the event a massive success... The be gruddgers should be lined up and shipped out of the country before the next visit...

Hopefully the goverment will take note and offer the capital needed to secure another stop and take the pressure of Lets Do It Galway and allow them to make the next one even better..

Even more Proud than ever to say I am from Galway!!!
    D

• Advertisement

ColHol wrote: »
    Lads, this is goin on donedeal for €400 quid, might need a lick of paint but we'd manage that, this could become a reality yet!

Full-12624225.jpeg

I've a couple of 2 bee 4's in the shed will sort that out!

Advertisement