Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this structure in the Docks area?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

This structure appeared around the time of the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in 2009.

It can be seen from Nimmo's Pier, and is located on the Dun Aengus Dock, according to Google Maps.

Any idea what it is, how it got there and what its original purpose was?

EDIT: I can't get StreetView to give me a proper link. If you zoom in you can see the reddish-orange structure at the end of ?Dun Aengus Dock opposite Nimmo's Pier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are you referring to the slipway across the water? The bright orange structure is the sea wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I should say facility rather than structure.

Had a better look today, from the top of Perks's's's Big Wheel.

It's a boat/sailing club of some sort, complete with launch ramp.

I'm trying to recall how and when it came into being. I have a vague recollection it had something to do with the VOR stopover in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I'm trying to recall how and when it came into being. I have a vague recollection it had something to do with the VOR stopover in 2009.

Think that you are on about Bow Waves http://www.bowwaves.com/

Would recommend it to everyone who likes water sports, something to suit everyone. Never knew about it until recently, but delighted to give it a go.

They have a stand at the back of the Harbor Hotel down the docks as you turn the corner to go towards the i-radio stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I think you are referring to the Galway Ocean Watersport Club and you are correct, the new harbour slipway across from Nimmos Pier that was built for the Volvo Ocean Race in 2009.

Further details from 2010 here and from 2011 here.

It is the Galway Ocean Sports Centre as others have said.http://www.gbsc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=1%3Alatest&id=280%3Agalway-ocean-sports-club&Itemid=138
    Galway Ocean Sports Centre is intended as a centre in Galway City where water sports clubs and groups with an affinity with the sea can base themselves and share the common and dedicated facilities available.

So far more than 20 groups have registered an interest in using the centre as their base or as a location from which they can run activities.

The groups include several dive clubs, Galway Kayak Club, various Scout Groups, Windsurfers, Badoiri an Cladaigh, Galway Bay Sailing Club, NUIG & GMIT.

The facilities on offer include; dedicated club storage areas, shared classrooms, sail loft, shower facilities, meeting rooms - and lastly but not least access to the water.

The center became a reality after Cold Chon (Galway) Ltd. agreed to provide the Club with their 25,000 sq. ft. building, located in Galway Harbour Enterprise Park at a nominal rent, on land donated by Galway Harbour Company on a similar basis. Both John Killeen of Cold Chon and Brian Sheridan on Galway Harbour Board who have helped this come about, have been of great assistance to Galway Bay Sailing Club over a long period of time and have been very helpful in enabling GBSC to run some very successful events from Galway Harbour, including the SB3 Western Championships.

• Advertisement
Advertisement