Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most disturbing story I have read in a very long time

• 05-07-2012 2:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened that night, consentual or not, medicated blackouts or not, this sends shivers up my spine.

Jury finds man guilty of raping his 65-year old mother

A MAN who claimed his 65-year-old mother consented to having sex with him on Mother’s Day has been found guilty of raping her.
    The 45-year-old Dublin man had pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to raping the woman at her home between March 2 and 3, 2008.
    The jury of four men and eight women took just over four hours of deliberations across two days to return a verdict of guilty.
    Mr Justice Barry White said it was not often a jury had to encounter a trial as “distasteful and sordid” as this one and excused the jurors from further service for life.
    He remanded the man in continuing custody for sentencing on October 1 and ordered that he be registered as a sex offender.
    He also ordered that a victim impact report be made available to the court.
    During three days of evidence the court heard that the accused admitted having sex with his mother on the evening of Mother’s Day but claimed it was consensual and that one thing had “led to another”.
    The court heard the woman, who lives alone, was awaiting surgery. She was taking a number of medications, including a strong opiate painkiller, a sleeping tablet and a strong benzodiazapam.
    On Mother’s Day she had attended a local social event during the day during which she drank three “small bottles” of wine and ate a four course meal.
    The woman said she left the event at around 8pm and went home, took a sleeping tablet and went to bed with a book. She said she was still reading at about 11pm when her son rang the doorbell.
    She said he was very persistent and asked her to come downstairs to have a drink with her because it was still Mother's Day.
    She told Gerard Clarke SC, prosecuting, that her son found some vodka and poured drinks. They were talking and then he put on a Joe Dolan CD. She said her son asked her to dance and she did but then sat down again.
    The victim said she must have blacked out then because she doesn't know how she ended up on the floor with her son on top of her and having sex with her.
    She said: “When I realised what was happening I said leave me alone. I kept saying leave me alone”.
    She said afterwards she thought he was going to do it again.
    She said she wanted him to get out of the house and when he left she was unable to lift herself up off the floor because of her hip problems.
    Defence counsel Giollaíosa Ó Lideadha SC put it to the woman that the combination of alcohol, medication and a “very complicated history between you and (the accused)” caused confusion in her mind.
    Her son told the court that he had gone to her house that evening to borrow money but they had a drink together and she began dancing. He claimed she told him she loved him and began kissing him on the mouth.
    He claimed the kissing became more intense and serious and they were both touching each other. He claimed his mother continued to kiss him while he had sex with her on the floor of her living room.
    He said they both laughed when she couldn’t get up off the floor afterwards. He said he tried to help her up but she wanted to stay there and he had to leave
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/jury-finds-man-guilty-of-raping-his-65year-old-mother-3158939.html

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Whatever happened that night, consentual or not, medicated blackouts or not, this sends shivers up my spine.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/jury-finds-man-guilty-of-raping-his-65year-old-mother-3158939.html

Sums this entire story up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jury finds man guilty of raping his 65-year old mother

A MAN who claimed his 65-year-old mother consented to having sex with him on Mother’s Day has been found guilty of raping her.
    The 45-year-old Dublin man had pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal

Mr Justice Barry White said it was not often a jury had to encounter a trial as “distasteful and sordid” as this one and excused the jurors from further service for life.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

While it's not a very nice story it's not the most disturbing story I have ever read. There was obviously some history between mother and son.
    Sex with your mother or father is wrong consensual or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

That is a vile story absoloutely no excuse for it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

How bad does it make you feel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ziggy23 wrote: »
    absoloutely no excuse for it:eek:

Yeah owning a Joe Dolan CD is fu*ked on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How bad does it make you feel?

What a creepy thing to ask ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Yeah owning a Joe Dolan CD is fu*ked on so many levels.

Wonder which song it was??
    Oh me oh my you make me smile you're such a good lookin woman:pac::pac::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Wonder which song it was??
    Oh me oh my you make me smile you're such a good lookin woman:pac::pac::o

"There's no blow like a joe blow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dirty motherfucker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

What a creepy thing to ask ....
    Talk to Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

hondasam wrote: »
    While it's not a very nice story it's not the most disturbing story I have ever read. There was obviously some history between mother and son.
    Sex with your mother or father is wrong consensual or not.

Of course there was some history between mother and son unless she had had him adopted at birth but I get that's probably not what you're getting at but just wondering how you made that out from what was written in the article.

What I inferred from the article was that she was scared of him to start with. Also the bit about her preferring to stay on the floor was a bit suss. Seems to me like she didn't want him touching her again in case the contact encouraged him to rape her again. Taking a rape case against your own child must be a traumatic action and if they had some 'history' then why would she bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Of course there was some history between mother and son unless she had had him adopted at birth but I get that's probably not what you're getting at but just wondering how you made that out from what was written in the article.

What I inferred from the article was that she was scared of him to start with. Also the bit about her preferring to stay on the floor was a bit suss. Seems to me like she didn't want him touching her again in case the contact encouraged him to rape her again. Taking a rape case against your own child must be a traumatic action and if they had some 'history' then why would she bother?

Exactly, to include as part of your defence that she wanted to stay on the floor as she couldn't get up due to hip problems. She was obviously terrified, didn't want him to touch her again and wanted him to leave.

Sad story and unfortunately she now has to live with the publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Just yuk yuk yuk!

How messed up is that guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There could well be more to it. Or maybe not. It could have been innocent on the mother's side, and taken up completely wrong by a man who's possibly not quite well-adjusted, if his stories of her beating him with a belt as a child are to be believed.
    The man’s brother gave evidence that he had noticed the accused and their mother acting in an intimate way before at a social event.
    He told defense counsel: “They were looking into the eyes. There was a touching of hands. It didn’t seem right”.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/man-tells-jury-he-had-consensual-sex-with-his-mother-3155426.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

People like this so called 'son' should be used as organ donors for sick children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i may have heard this wrong on the radio but did his brother give evidence in his defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Just yuk yuk yuk!

How messed up is that guy!

Not as messed up as His Ma afterwards ... Mwah Mwah wink wink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sad story and unfortunately she now has to live with the publicity.

Thankfully in cases like this the names of the accused and victim are withheld in order to protect the victim. She still obviously has to live with it but at least the tabloids cant splash their details all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You gotta hate it when the mammy changes her mind about the ride.. feckin tease. On another level though, eeeuuurrrghhhhjasus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Bad Panda wrote: »
    People like this so called 'son' should be used as organ donors for sick children.

He's a sick organ donor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, did the Independent really need to into the full gory details?

I don't know why, but I laughed at the mention of the Joe Dolan CD. Joe Dolan, the white Barry White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Her word against his. If I was on the jury it would be a problem. Id have to say innocent, unless they have more details than us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Her word against his. If I was on the jury it would be a problem. Id have to say innocent, unless they have more details than us

Well I'd imagine they would have had more details than us.. being present for the trial and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Well I'd imagine they would have had more details than us.. being present for the trial and all.

This was the 2nd trial as a previous jury couldn't find a verdict so I reckon it was a weak case - as in her word against his.

sick ****er either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

gonna find my baby gonna hold her tight gonna grab some afternoon delight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

This was the 2nd trial as a previous jury couldn't find a verdict so I reckon it was a weak case - as in her word against his.

sick ****er either way.

thats right, its the same case i'm thinking of, the guys brother, the victims other son had testified that they were unusally close in an inappropriate kind of way or something along the lines...

either way you're right, he is a sick fcuker

Advertisement