Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney Suburbs

Options
  • 05-07-2012 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Moving to Sydney with my job next month but haven't an iota where to live.

I like to surf and be active.

Will be working in city & aint got no car.

Dont like to commute too long to work.

Anybody any idea where is nice to live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

dave3004 wrote: »
    Moving to Sydney with my job next month but haven't an iota where to live.

I like to surf and be active.

Will be working in city & aint got no car.

Dont like to commute too long to work.

Anybody any idea where is nice to live?

Bondi, Coogee, Clovelly, Bronte all by the sea an around 20 min bus journey to the CBD.
    Rent isn't cheap but there nice suburbs to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Thanks Jonnie.

Dunno about Bondi. Dunno if I can hack THAT many irish people.

Do all these places have surf?

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks Jonnie.
    Thanks for info.

No only Bondi would have surf out of that list. Bronte is only a few stops away on the bus, you might consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

They're all pretty nice places, especially in summer. Bus journey is probably more like 45 minutes in commuter traffic though. Bondi is the only one of those that has a train connection, but it's Bondi Junction so if you live at the beach you'll need to get a bus to the train station anyway, so it might just be easier to get a bus the whole way depending on where you're working.

Manly is really nice too, but it's a longer commute, harder to get to/from the city.

As an aside, I personally think the whole 'Bondi is full of Irish' thing a bit overblown. I think I imagined the same before I came to Sydney tbf.

However, despite so many Irish people being in Australia, the reality is that we're still a tiny minority. Yes, a lot of the Irish in Sydney are in Bondi but even at that, Irish people probably comprise only a few % of the population there. If you're not spending your time in the Irish pubs in Bondi junction, you won't be smothered in Irishness.

From my experiences, for most Aussies it's better known for being a general ex-pat suburb rather than being purely associated with Irish people. I've met Aussies, Argentinians,French, Kiwis, English, Swedes, South Africans who live there - my boss even lives there. I guess lots of people like to live by the beach and Bondi probably has some of the best public transport links to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bondi has the best for surf out of those, but there are other good surfing beaches around. Bondi junction is also better connected to the city via the train, which takes 10 minutes. A bus from the same area takes longer, maybe 45mins.

The whole Irish in Bondi is completely exaggerated tbh. When you are working 9-5, mon-fri, to and from work etc, you interact with very few people in general. There's only one "irish" pub in bondi junction, anf another thats generally popular, which draws in people from all the surrounding suburbs - its up to you to go there or not. TBH I'd be surprised if there was more irish living in bondi junction itself when compared to the surrounding.
    6ix wrote: »
    From my experiences, for most Aussies it's better known for being a general ex-pat suburb rather than being purely associated with Irish people. I've met Aussies, Argentinians,French, Kiwis, English, Swedes, South Africans who live there - my boss even lives there. I guess lots of people like to live by the beach and Bondi probably has some of the best public transport links to the city.

100% this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dont forget Maroubra. In my opinion the best beach in East Sydney.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroubra,_New_South_Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

A lot of the surfers I know through work live in Manly and get the ferry into work. Takes them 45 mins or so to circular key. Its in zone 1 of the my-multi transport system so costs no more than commuting from the bondi / coogee area.

Totally agree with Mellor and 6ix regarding the amount of Irish in Bondi as I'm in rosebay area (5-10 mins away). I've personally run into / spotted more Irish on the street in Coogee than anywhere else. Coogee reminds me of 'D4' for some reason and I tend to avoid it

jank wrote: »

Without a car the bus transport is a bit light on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A lot of the surfers I know through work live in Manly and get the ferry into work. Takes them 45 mins or so to circular key. Its in zone 1 of the my-multi transport system so costs no more than commuting from the bondi / coogee area.

Totally agree with Mellor and 6ix regarding the amount of Irish in Bondi as I'm in rosebay area (5-10 mins away). I've personally run into / spotted more Irish on the street in Coogee than anywhere else. Coogee reminds me of 'D4' for some reason and I tend to avoid it

Without a car the bus transport is a bit light on the ground.

Plenty of buses to and from the CBD, or you could always bike it, its only 10km in and out, weather is usually good!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

hussey wrote: »
    No only Bondi would have surf out of that list. Bronte is only a few stops away on the bus, you might consider that.

Hell no. Bronte is probably better for experienced boardriders. But the others are not surfing beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I live in Bellevue, near Bondi. I work in the city. It's about a 15 minute walk/5 minute skate to the train station in the morning and then 9 mins on train to Martin Place, where I work.

10-15 minute walk to Bondi beach. For surf it's a decent area as you have Bondi, Tamarama and Bronte beaches all pretty close by.

If you don't mind a little bit of a longer commute to work then Manly is an awesome place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

jank wrote: »

I second this, Maroubra is a great beach. There is only ever a handful of people on it too. Not exactly a stone throw from the CBD, though is an easy enough commute.

I have no idea why Maroubra isn't as popular as Coogee or Bondi, maybe because it doesn't have any boozers or many restaurants along the beach. I heard that some areas of Maroubra can be a bit dodgy, though I never had any hassle.

I've been looking at moving out there myself and the rent is definitely cheaper than the other beaches. Its pretty much walking distance to Coogee too. I reckon if you are working south CBD area, the commute will be grand.

Takes them 45 mins or so to circular key. Its in zone 1 of the my-multi transport system so costs no more than commuting from the bondi / coogee area.

If you are withing walking distance to a train station you only need to buy a 7day rail pass and not a MyMulti. I think the costs are $26 vrs $41.

I'd rather a handy walk to/from the train 5 days a week over any other convenience really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mellor wrote: »
    If you are withing walking distance to a train station you only need to buy a 7day rail pass and not a MyMulti. I think the costs are $26 vrs $41.

I'd rather a handy walk to/from the train 5 days a week over any other convenience really.

This seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Guys, firstly thanks so much for your help on this.

I've a list of the suburbs and have crossed a few off the list already.

I will be working in Chifley Tower in Chifley Square. Not sure what that means for the commute but it looks like I would be pretty near Surrey Hills and not too far from Bondi judging by google maps.

I think Bondi seems to be the place to go.

I will probably buy a bike and cycle to work too as not a fan of traffic / public transport.

Just found out I am going for Nov/Dec time so might be tough finding a place to live then as summer is upon us then. My life is up in the air but it is excitign times nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Actually Bondi's rep doesn't fit anymore, the suburb seems to go from rich to poor every 20/30 years or so. These days its rich & full of a young snobby young beautiful Sydneysider class - no Irish :)
    The Irish tend to live in 'Bondi Junction' which does actually fit the stereotype, very convenient but not an attractive place to live.
    Coggee also fits the full of Irish bill, its on the beach but close to some pretty rough neighbourhoods & people.
    Clovelly -uphill from Coggee toward Bondi along the coast, its wealthier quieter easier to live & a short stroll to Cooggee.
    You can't beat the beach & vibe in Bondi though, just be prepared to pay for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Oh & 'Bondi Junction' is a seperate suburb to 'Bondi'!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

I live on bondi beach & work in the city centre and wouldn't change it for the world. I came to Australia to live near the beach and work in the city. I get into the CBD in 30-40 mins in the morning by public transport and in summer I'm back on the beach for a dip before 6pm in the evening.

I very rarely meet Irish in the bars & cafes around Bondi beach, there's a great mix of tourists & ex-pats from all over the world. And a very chilled-out vibe to boot :D

This seems wrong.
    Why?
    Bogwarryor wrote: »
    The Irish tend to live in 'Bondi Junction' which does actually fit the stereotype, very convenient but not an attractive place to live.
    It depends what area you are talking about exactly, there's so much variation from the centre of one suburb to the next. In the centre of bondi junction its mostly modern apartments, that are quite nice. Very much urban living, high rise, 2 mins to train, supermarket, shopping centre etc.
    As you travel out towards the various beaches and surrounding suburbs, you get the cheaper old houses dotted among low rise units. Until you get to the newer units on the water or the centre of Surry hills etc.

I've lived walking distance to the beach before and it was very handy at the weekends during the summer. It was such a pain during the week, that extra time spent commuting is such a waste. I train/workout up to 2 hours in the evenings. Saving 40 mins or on transport a day is huge to me. To others it might not be an issue. The best place to live really depends a lot on your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Guys, firstly thanks so much for your help on this.

I've a list of the suburbs and have crossed a few off the list already.

I will be working in Chifley Tower in Chifley Square. Not sure what that means for the commute but it looks like I would be pretty near Surrey Hills and not too far from Bondi judging by google maps.

I think Bondi seems to be the place to go.

I will probably buy a bike and cycle to work too as not a fan of traffic / public transport.

Just found out I am going for Nov/Dec time so might be tough finding a place to live then as summer is upon us then. My life is up in the air but it is excitign times nonetheless

On bus, pretty much any bus going to circular from BJ (333/380/389/379) and drop you right beside where you are going. Trains take you to Martin place and 2 minute walk from there. Bus is about 25 minutes max train 15 mins. On bike ...hell no ... bus /cars/ motor bikes running you down. It is a good run (as in easy) from coogee/bondi (and bondi junction) to elizabeth st where you want to go. Nov/Dec ..yeah..not a good time around the beaches to get a place. If you have (and it seems to be) a job to go to use them to book you a place. Believe me it is better some one on the ground ringing around rather than an Irish voice asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

try surry hills your right between the city and the beach that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

randwick is also another to give consideration to, anywhere in the eastern subs will be ok, but youll pay well, the further down bondi rd you go the higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Bogwarryor wrote: »
    Actually Bondi's rep doesn't fit anymore, the suburb seems to go from rich to poor every 20/30 years or so. These days its rich & full of a young snobby young beautiful Sydneysider class - no Irish :)
    Coggee also fits the full of Irish bill, its on the beach but close to some pretty rough neighbourhoods & people.
    Clovelly -uphill from Coggee toward Bondi along the coast, its wealthier quieter easier to live & a short stroll to Cooggee.
    You can't beat the beach & vibe in Bondi though, just be prepared to pay for it....

sorry but your totally off the mark there, every street off bondi rd has plenty of irish in those units, not until you go towards dover heights do the sydneysiders start. no young snobby aussies on wellington street;)

Advertisement