Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello LIT

Options
  • 05-07-2012 6:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm really pleased that I'll be heading to LIT to study QS for 4 years, just confirmed it on the CAO this morning!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Quantity Surveying? that's a good course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Yeah it's quantity surveying, I've talked to a lot of people about this course and have heard only good things said about it. Really looking forward to moving to Limerick, can't wait to start the course. The best part is it's a step in the direction that I really want my life to move to.

Just can't wait for it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Congrats.I also got accepted to 2nd year of that course.Now I'm looking at getting accommodation sorted.I am going back as a mature student.Completed year 1 in another IT a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Best of luck to you both are you going to attend the orientation in September?
    Contact Edel Barrett edel.barrett@lit.ie if you intend to attend....

Congrats.I also got accepted to 2nd year of that course.Now I'm looking at getting accommodation sorted.I am going back as a mature student.Completed year 1 in another IT a few years ago.

Well done IrishLad. Need to get accommodation sorted myself. Was looking at daft and there doesn't seem to be a whole pile available at the moment around the college.
    stock> wrote: »
    Best of luck to you both are you going to attend the orientation in September?
    Contact Edel Barrett edel.barrett@lit.ie if you intend to attend....

Hey Stock, is that the mature student orientation?

You might be able to answer this for me. I received an e-mail from Sligo about a summer school, mostly brushing up writing and maths skills, do LIT have something like that?

• Advertisement

Jesus I'm hoping so, need it to get a job somewhere........

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

When I returned to LIT as a mature student I did it and found it useful..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Well done IrishLad. Need to get accommodation sorted myself. Was looking at daft and there doesn't seem to be a whole pile available at the moment around the college.

Hey Stock, is that the mature student orientation?

You might be able to answer this for me. I received an e-mail from Sligo about a summer school, mostly brushing up writing and maths skills, do LIT have something like that?
    Going by the past 2 years their will be plenty of room in either of the main student villages. see the stickies at the top of the forum for info on them but if you are looking for private accomodation contact the college as a list of landlords for the local estates is available(from early august iirc)

LIT have learning resource unit that can help with writing/maths skills. its based up the hill in buildings right beside thomond park and beside the students union

ormond lad wrote: »
    Going by the past 2 years their will be plenty of room in either of the main student villages. see the stickies at the top of the forum for info on them but if you are looking for private accomodation contact the college as a list of landlords for the local estates is available(from early august iirc)

LIT have learning resource unit that can help with writing/maths skills. its based up the hill in buildings right beside thomond park and beside the students union

I was looking at the student villages and they look quite nice. I think I want to live in town though, was never really a person for living in the suburbs. I'll have to see about money first before I can make a decision. I was looking at daft and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of accommodation available around the college.

Will be hitting the resource centre as soon as I arrive. I just need to brush up on my maths skills. I studied a PLC course the academic year just gone but I didn't feel that the maths were right for what I need.

stock> wrote: »
    When I returned to LIT as a mature student I did it and found it useful..............

That's a good enough recommendation for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was looking at the student villages and they look quite nice. I think I want to live in town though, was never really a person for living in the suburbs. I'll have to see about money first before I can make a decision. I was looking at daft and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of accommodation available around the college.

Will be hitting the resource centre as soon as I arrive. I just need to brush up on my maths skills. I studied a PLC course the academic year just gone but I didn't feel that the maths were right for what I need.

Loads of LIT students stay in Rices Corner

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=20954

It's on the bridge so you can walk into the City and you can walk the other way to the college.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Loads of LIT students stay in Rices Corner

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=20954

It's on the bridge so you can walk into the City and you can walk the other way to the college.

Hey, I'm heading down on Friday to have a look at Thomond Village and Cratloe Wood. I tried ringing the people at Rice's Corner but they never answered, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Was going to give Thomond and Cratloe a miss but the accommodation at Thomond looks nice and is close to what I was hoping to pay....sure will se what happens. Ah sure Limerick is small enough so it can't be that far in to town.

Does anyone have opinions on Thomond Village, Cratloe Wood and Rice's Corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hey, I'm heading down on Friday to have a look at Thomond Village and Cratloe Wood. I tried ringing the people at Rice's Corner but they never answered, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Was going to give Thomond and Cratloe a miss but the accommodation at Thomond looks nice and is close to what I was hoping to pay....sure will se what happens. Ah sure Limerick is small enough so it can't be that far in to town.

Does anyone have opinions on Thomond Village, Cratloe Wood and Rice's Corner?
    Limerick is small enough. its a max 15-20 mins walk from city centre to Cratloe/Thomond.

I stayed in Cratloe the year before last. It was grand. Accomodation was fine and i was lucky enough to only have 1 other person in my place and he was only around 3 maybe 4 nights a week so having people stay over was easy enough
    Thomond is prob nicer if you are looking at Thomond/Cratloe. Cant comment on rice's corner that much as I was only in there once or twice

Thomond has a better shuttle bus service than Cratloe. Thomond is a bit further than Cratloe.
    I've never been in the Thomond but lived in Cratloe for 2 years.

I spent my third year in this house.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=682464

The landlord is nice and the house is neat. It's only a 5 minute walk from the college and a 3 min walk to the shop.

I went down on Friday and had a look at Cratloe and Thomond. Have to say the drive in to Thomond is like driving in to a camp from the far side of the iron curtain. The concrete wall seperating the students from the Moyross residents is something else, and I'm not sure who is being protected from who. ;)

The staff are really nice though and the accommodation is pretty good. They also have some good things like the shuttle bus and common rooms, the outside though just looks terrible.

At Cratloe it's the opposite, the outside is managed really well and the inside isn't so great but not bad all the same. I know it's student accommodation but for the money they're charging I was expecting something a bit better.

I'm certain I'll be heading for Thomond, the double room ensuite seals the deal for me, I do like my creature comforts! I''ll stick with student accommodation this year as I think it will be easier to meet people, so I'm happy enough.

Thanks all for the help.

I went down on Friday and had a look at Cratloe and Thomond. Have to say the drive in to Thomond is like driving in to a camp from the far side of the iron curtain. The concrete wall seperating the students from the Moyross residents is something else, and I'm not sure who is being protected from who. ;)

The staff are really nice though and the accommodation is pretty good. They also have some good things like the shuttle bus and common rooms, the outside though just looks terrible.

At Cratloe it's the opposite, the outside is managed really well and the inside isn't so great but not bad all the same. I know it's student accommodation but for the money they're charging I was expecting something a bit better.

I'm certain I'll be heading for Thomond, the double room ensuite seals the deal for me, I do like my creature comforts! I''ll stick with student accommodation this year as I think it will be easier to meet people, so I'm happy enough.

Thanks all for the help.

Well worth the extra few quid in my opinion.
    Best of luck with it!

Cratloe have (or at least had) a bus service too. I hope Vinny is still driving it!

Well worth the extra few quid in my opinion.
    Best of luck with it!

Cratloe have (or at least had) a bus service too. I hope Vinny is still driving it!

Yes they still have it, forgot to mention it in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DollyD

I was looking at both too and thomand by far did it for me with the double bed and ensuite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Avoid Cratloe. I stayed there for 2 years 06-08 and the place was a kip. Cold, damp, draughty and dirty apartments, incompetent office staff, useless security and worst of all rats.

In 07-08 the sitting room heater broke down in November. It was reported that day but never fixed. When I recieved my security deposit back it stated that some money was refunded but as no actual amount was stated I highly doubt this is true.

My neighbours were noisy and often held overnight parties. I complained about them numerous times to both security and the office but to no avail.

Cratloe are very slow in the uptake of complaints alright. Our T.V was broken for a while before it was replaced.

• Advertisement

Cratloe are very slow in the uptake of complaints alright. Our T.V was broken for a while before it was replaced.

go beyond slow to downright useless.

any complaint to them gets ignored but as soon as any payment to them is a day late they're all over you.

throw in a maintenance man who looks like a more menacing version of johnny adair and the place becomes a joke shop.

Hopefully I made the right choice with thomand!! :)

DollyD wrote: »

it probably is better. but I doubt it'll be 'much' better.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Avoid Cratloe. I stayed there for 2 years 06-08 and the place was a kip. Cold, damp, draughty and dirty apartments, incompetent office staff, useless security and worst of all rats.

In 07-08 the sitting room heater broke down in November. It was reported that day but never fixed. When I recieved my security deposit back it stated that some money was refunded but as no actual amount was stated I highly doubt this is true.

My neighbours were noisy and often held overnight parties. I complained about them numerous times to both security and the office but to no avail.

When I was down in Limerick I visited Cratloe Woods and definitely got the impression that I was being in the way of them doing nothing. I wasn't impressed at all. I have to say up in Thomond they were very accommodating, really nice people. I didn't end up taking it though I took a house-share instead.

Hey Dolly, what are you going to study in LIT?

Hey Dolly, what are you going to study in LIT?

Goin doing pharmaceutical and forensic analysis can't wait!! how about you?

Goin doing pharmaceutical and forensic analysis can't wait!! how about you?

Jesus that sounds difficult! I'm going to study quantity surveying and like yourself I can't wait for it. I'm so happy to be going to do something that I enjoy.

Did you make the application to Thomond Student Village yet?

Ha ya sounds more complicated than it really is I'd say it's wat Iv wanted to do for ages so applied as a mature student and got it couldn't be happier
    Ya paid my deposit the other day can't wait to move in the weeks are just dragging

Ha ya sounds more complicated than it really is I'd say it's wat Iv wanted to do for ages so applied as a mature student and got it couldn't be happier
    Ya paid my deposit the other day can't wait to move in the weeks are just dragging

Ah Jesus tell me about it.....I'm just sitting around at the moment waiting to be able to apply myself. I think the boredom is really starting to get to me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement