Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What we need to rent in Sydney

Options
  • 05-07-2012 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

All things going to plan we should be moving to Sydney around the end of August. I've heard about how hard it is to find a place to rent and I'm just wondering if anyone on here can offer advice. We are home owners here and I'm wondering what other type of evidence we can bring with us to make us a more appealing tenant. I'm thinking of bringing mortgage statements and electricity bills.

We're thinking of living in Surry Hills. Do ye think this will be possible or will they're be too much demand for this area for two people with no Australian rental references.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

August is a great time to rent, the ball is in your court & for anything that is available they will be desperate to get tennants, if you can prove that you have a full time job - just show contract that should be sufficient.
    Summertime is the opposite there could be up to 100 people viewing a place so very competitive.
    You can get a decent 1 bed apt in Paddington for 450, circa 400 surrey hills, 550 coastal burbs or a decent 2 bed for 450 in western but the eastern burbs is the place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Check domain.com.au relestate.com.au or even gumtree.au

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Thanks very much Bogwarryor. Good to hear them bits of info

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We were in a similar situation moving to Melbourne. Not sure if the rental markets are the same but we had the following which helped us to get a property:
    -Cover letter explaining our situation -job situation, home owners in Ireland
    -References from landlord whose house we shared prior to buying our house (luckily it is a friend)
    -Work references
    -Personal reference-we had 2 references (non work) from friends who were already living here. The rental agency did contact them

The market was very competitive. It is easy for landlords to line up tenants who tick the boxes so by not having the information they need you are less desirable from their point of view. We have friends who were unlucky with a few applications and offered to pay a few months rent in advance which got them a place.

As I said this applies to Melbourne but may be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

cheers pugins,

will organise all of the above before we head over.

cheers guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement