Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA and moving in together - can we afford it?

• 05-07-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

My partner and myself are considering moving in together but we don't know if we can afford it. In order to determin this I was hoping for your help. I need to know if he'll qualify for any JSB as he'd like to apply for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance and I think one is reliant on the other.

So the facts:
    I've a child from a previous relationship.
    I earn Gross 2,970 / Net 2,470 (sometimes less if I take parental leave).
    Currently receiving tax credits (OP1) which I'll give up
    No savings
    60 Euros which goes directly to the afterschool
    He is currently on JSB and nothing else

I've looked at all the forms and all and can't make head nor tail.
    Can some one please help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are you currently on Lone Parents?

Is that earnings weekly, monthly, yearly?

If he is on Jobseekers Benefit now, he will remain on that until his benefit expires. Then he can apply for JSA.

He could claim for you and your child too but it depends on whether that €2970 is weekly, monthly or yearly.

he's getting an other 4 weeks of JSB and then he'll have to apply for JSA / Back to Work Enterprise allowance.
    My earnings are per month (sorry for not mentioning that). I also receive EUR 60 per week from my sons dad. I doubt my partner would be able to claim for me as my sallary must be too high. I don't get any payments from Social Welfare except Child Benefits but I do get tax credits called OP1 from Revenue. I know I will have to give these up if he moves in.

Thanks for any help. I did a rough calculation and I think he would only be receiving about EUR 32 per week if we moved together.

I don't think he'll get anything on JSA if you move in together.

Based on €2970 gross per month I think he would have means assessed from your income at €375.
    The max family rate for couple and 1 child is 188+124.80+29.80 = €342.60

That leaves 342.60 - 375 = No payment.

There are some parts of your gross pay that are not counted in the means test but I don't know what they are.

Thank you for your help! Looks like we either have to wait with moving in together or I've to cut mine and my childs annual trip home to my family as I won't be able to save enough. At least we've options though :-)

Advertisement