Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would a private police force work in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

humbert wrote: »
    You seem to have deliberately misinterpreted my post so that you could go off on that rant. I simply described the reasons why, in my opinion, the gardai are as lazy and useless as they are. I.e., that they lack the incentives available in private industry.

You made a suggestion and I explained by using questions, the answers to which would force you to elaborate on just how your suggestion might work in practice, why it's nonsensical. How is that a deliberate misinterpretation? :confused:

If you'd care to elaborate on how we determine the success of gardaí go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

mikemac1 wrote: »
    But OP, if you are broken into you can get immediate response, technical staff, people picked up from the streets and detectives to interview them

All you need is connections and to be important

Alan Shatters house was burgled in March

yes that pisses me off no end, the burglar will probably get 5 years for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

prinz wrote: »
    You made a suggestion and I explained by using questions, the answers to which would force you to elaborate on just how your suggestion might work in practice, why it's nonsensical. How is that a deliberate misinterpretation? :confused:

If you'd care to elaborate on how we determine the success of gardaí go ahead.

No I didn't.

I seem to have given you too much credit when I suggested your misinterpretation was deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Goafer wrote: »
    Firstly mods, sorry if a thread on this exists already.
    Secondly, feel free to shift to another forum if you see fit.

The Garda Síochana are a state agency and as such are overpaid and under worked. The Gardaí, are for the most part incompetent. Mostly due to lack of resources and funding. If I phone the Gardaí, it can take up to an hour for some issues, which are often quite serious. Many Garda stations around the country are closing down and some towns don't have a Garda Station for several miles. If someone is in the process of breaking into my home while I am in it, I want immediate Garda response. Particularly if it is my elderly neighbour, grandmother, great-grandmother etc. who are in peril.

I am suggesting that a private police force be set up in Ireland which will be funded partly from state aid, donations and other enterprising activity. Money for this police force could be generated by fines or other entrepreneurial activity. This could be run as a for profit organisation and villagers and towns people could pay an annual fee of €100 a year per household to each new police station to fund it. I know I would pay it for peace of mind.

So would a private vigilante force work in Ireland?

I have phoned the guards on several occasions and they were there within two mins.
    most Irish people do not want to live in police state where cops are strict and everywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

realies wrote: »
    http://www.alarmcontrol24.ie/monitoring-3/
    Alarm Control 24 have its own private Radio Telemetry Network, licensed by COMREG and does not share bandwidth with any other radio telemetry providers.
    Our radio network is totally secure, penetrable proof against GSM Jammers and is proven to be the most reliable and effective tool against these jammers in terms of performance and cost.

Yes it won't be blocked by well built GSM blockers.

However, it could easily be targeted by other jammers.

With a GSM blocker people will know it's in use when phone / broadband are affected.

Advertisement