Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet providers with dynamic IP address's

• 05-07-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am looking at moving to Ireland later this year, but before I do, I am trying to find out which internet providers have dynamic IPs, and also how reliable/fast they are. I am specifically interested in the Dublin area.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

uredzz wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at moving to Ireland later this year, but before I do, I am trying to find out which internet providers have dynamic IPs, and also how reliable/fast they are. I am specifically interested in the Dublin area.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers

Very vague question...

All providers here have dynamic IPs
    UPC is probably the fastest in general use and is generally fairly reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uredzz

Ha didnt mean to be vague. I just need to be able to shift IP with ease and have stable reliable connection for my job.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I just need to be able to shift IP with ease and have stable reliable connection for my job.

You won't be able to shift IP with ease. More often than not, you will get the same IP address. But, all ISPs use dynamic IPs, so your IP address can change, and it's not fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Paulw wrote: »
    You won't be able to shift IP with ease. More often than not, you will get the same IP address. But, all ISPs use dynamic IPs, so your IP address can change, and it's not fixed.

generally if you turn your modem off before the lease time and turn it on after you will get a different one.

if you turn it on/off within the lease time you will generally get the same one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I just need to be able to shift IP with ease and have stable reliable connection for my job.

Why would you need to do that?

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »

maybe he's expecting to be ddossed a lot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bealtine wrote: »

Sounds very suspect to me. Malicious activities would be one of the few reasons you'd want to do this.

RE: Being DDOS'd, you're not allowed to host on a residential line anyways(least last time I checked it was against everyones T&Cs).

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds very suspect to me. Malicious activities would be one of the few reasons you'd want to do this.

RE: Being DDOS'd, you're not allowed to host on a residential line anyways(least last time I checked it was against everyones T&Cs).

you can dos the line tho, so he can't do anything.

upsetting people on irc etc ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Nollog

All Irish ISP's I know of bar some fixed wireless providers use IP pools, it shouldn't be too hard to switch IP.
    By plugging out your modem a few times you should be able to get a new IP from the pool.
    It might take more than one go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uredzz

ha very suspicious! Guess it did sound a little dodgey!

Its for gambling purposes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ha very suspicious! Guess it did sound a little dodgey!

Its for gambling purposes!
    that's not dodgy at all :rolleyes:

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    that's not dodgy at all :rolleyes:

how is gambling dodgey?

I was referring to the fact he wants to be constantly changing IP addresses while gambling. if you cheat online, all they do is ban your IP. unless you do serious criminal acts and get caught, they don't call the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,689 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I was referring to the fact he wants to be constantly changing IP addresses while gambling. if you cheat online, all they do is ban your IP. unless you do serious criminal acts and get caught, they don't call the guards.

Or if hes playing poker some people in the same room as him may attempt to DDOS him offline to boost their chances of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AdamD wrote: »
    Or if hes playing poker some people in the same room as him may attempt to DDOS him offline to boost their chances of winning.

But him changing IP would boot him from the game anwyays, so that wouldnt be of much use.

how would they get his IP address in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd say its more likely he wants multiple IP addresses to allow him play multiple hands in a poker tournament. 9 seats at a poker table, he has two IP addresses allowing him to play in two of the seats simultaneously and massively increase his chances of winning money.

I'd say its more likely he wants multiple IP addresses to allow him play multiple hands in a poker tournament. 9 seats at a poker table, he has two IP addresses allowing him to play in two of the seats simultaneously and massively increase his chances of winning money.
    in other words, dodgy.

huh?!?!

how is he going to switch ip's and keep two user's logged in? he never asked for two, he wanted to be able to easily change.

why are we making all these stupid assumptions?

plus if you're going to play multiple hands in the same one you can simply just use a proxy server or tunnel one client over ssh etc there's tons of ways of cheating without going to all this trouble.

how would they get his IP address in the first place?
    There are programs, fairly easy to get which will do this. Provided hes in the same lobby as the person wanting his IP address.

I know plenty of gamers who need Dynamic IP addresses or routers which make it very difficult for them to be DDOSd because people will DDOS them when they're playing for money (or even really small unimportant matches, its actually happened to me before). As sad as it sounds its actually quite common. If it happens on games like COD it certainly must happen in poker rooms with far more money involved.

Though whether or not its the case here I don't know but its certainly a possibility.

• Advertisement

There are programs, fairly easy to get which will do this. Provided hes in the same lobby as the person wanting his IP address.

really? what's my IP address?

really? what's my IP address?

How would I tell from a forum...?

These programs tell you who you are sending and receiving packets from. So if you are in a skype chat/IRC chat/online game/poker game with somebody it will show you sending and receiving a lot of packets from that IP address thus giving you that persons IP.

How would I tell from a forum...?

These programs tell you who you are sending and receiving packets from. So if you are in a skype chat/IRC chat/online game/poker game with somebody it will show you sending and receiving a lot of packets from that IP address thus giving you that persons IP.
    would you not think that all IM's etc would be sent to a server and then shown, much like boards, masking each persons IP?

this isn't chat roulette, money is at stake.

would you not think that all IM's etc would be sent to a server and then shown, much like boards, masking each persons IP?

this isn't chat roulette, money is at stake.

I don't know how each of these websites work, all I'm saying is that its a possibility.

I don't know how each of these websites work, all I'm saying is that its a possibility.
    fair enough, neither do I. I do know of people who cheat online though, and they mask their IP address and MAC address. its quite serious business as you can imagine.

anyway, what do you think is more likely, curiosity about dynamic IP addresses cause he wants to cheat in poker, or fear of ddos attacks while playing said game?

Advertisement