Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venice

• 05-07-2012 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Going to Vencie for a couple of days soon with my gf. Hvaing glanced about, recommendations are to check out the Doge's Palace, wander around aimlessly, and avoid St Mark's Square for food as it's overpriced. Anything other ideas or suggestions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

It's a lovely city. Save money by getting a day or longer pass for the water buses, get on and off where you like. Wander everywhere, you will get lost, part of the fun, lovely churches to visit, islands in the lagoon worth a trip - one is a famous graveyard. Don't eat (even icecream) in St. Mark's square, everything is a rip off. Plenty of good places to eat in back streets away from the tourist areas. Eat where the locals eat. Best thing to do before you go is to buy The Rough guide to Venice/Italy - all the info you need there. Bring a camera. Both of you - relax and enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Take the water bus (you can get a ticket for a few days travel and it's quite cheap) and visit Lido, it has a lovely public beach. And the island of Murano is very nice, we got to see a glass making demonstration. A lot of the charm is wandering around the maze, I mean streets ;-) and soaking up the atmosphere! Venice is one of my favorite places, Hope you have a great time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

+ 1 for the waterbus pass, if you're getting in with Ryanair, you can purchase it downstairs at the same spot where you get the bus ticket afair.
    + 1 for the islands, that can be done with your waterbus pass, going from the quay close to San Marco sq.

Do buy some seeds off the guys in the square to feed the pigeons, it's hilarious, and have your camera ready for pigeon shots !

Explore little streets as much as you can, it looks big on the map, but although there is a lot of walking, it's really easy and pleasurable to walk around (apart from the crowds).

Visit the fishmarket. As you go across Rialto bridge coming from the San Marco side of town, you go straight on.
    Also coming in the same way across the bridge, if you veer left (try and aim for the bigger "avenue" if you want more shops, you're heading towards San Paulo (where I stayed), and there's nice restaurants, way more affordable, and great shops for masks, etc...

Take the traghetto at least once, that crosses the canal perpendicular, and the locals stand in the gondola (I think I sat :o such a chicken), it's great fun. It's not part of your pass, so have change ready (2 euros or so I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Been there and back weeks now :) Really liked it. Got museum passes online that saved money on The Doge's palace and the Ferrer Museum - really liked both of those. Did go on a cruise of the islands alright, which was cool. We did indeed get lost in the streets haha. I thought the pigeons all over the people in St Mark's Square was digusting personally, but each to their own haha. Didn't go to the fish market, but that wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway since I'm vegetarian. Incidentally the food was the only disappointing thing about the place. Much better vegetarian food when we went to Dingle earlier this year, somewhat contrary to expectations and stereotypes!

Advertisement