Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a cheapish tablet for games/comics

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

I'd like something under 500 (under 400 would be excellent) euros and could be picked in a store in Dublin.

Firstly, how would the internet (wi-fi) on a tablet be compared to a laptop? Are we talking about it being much slower or just a bit (assuming both the laptop and tablet are being used in the same area/distance from the modem/router)?

Battery life isn't a problem since I doubt I'll take it outside much.
    I want it to be able to zoom in (I think it's pinch-zoom?).
    I don't mind OS if I can use Google Play or is Apple
    Size isn't that important once it's not under 8 inches in height.
    I want to be able to buy a keyboard for it so I can use the keyboard to type.
    Game and app selection is important so I'd rather somethign that can play games for at least a year (in terms of not being outdated).

Memory won't matter if I can easily transfer files from my laptop to it (otherwise at least 16GB I think would be needed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

I'd like something under 500 (under 400 would be excellent) euros and could be picked in a store in Dublin.

Firstly, how would the internet (wi-fi) on a tablet be compared to a laptop? Are we talking about it being much slower or just a bit (assuming both the laptop and tablet are being used in the same area/distance from the modem/router)?

Battery life isn't a problem since I doubt I'll take it outside much.
    I want it to be able to zoom in (I think it's pinch-zoom?).
    I don't mind OS if I can use Google Play or is Apple
    Size isn't that important once it's not under 8 inches in height.
    I want to be able to buy a keyboard for it so I can use the keyboard to type.
    Game and app selection is important so I'd rather somethign that can play games for at least a year (in terms of not being outdated).

Memory won't matter if I can easily transfer files from my laptop to it (otherwise at least 16GB I think would be needed).

Wifi shouldn't really be slower on a tablet, but it would probably have a smaller range than the laptop.

Google's Nexus 7 tablet should be coming out in Ireland soon, but Google are yet to state the Irish price (they retail for only $200 in the States).
    It has pretty high end specs with a very low price point and I has everything you are looking for except it only has a 7" screen but for half the price, it could be worth it.

Otherwise I would say go for an iPad 2, they cost €399 new!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Snegg wrote: »
    Wifi shouldn't really be slower on a tablet, but it would probably have a smaller range than the laptop.

Google's Nexus 7 tablet should be coming out in Ireland soon, but Google are yet to state the Irish price (they retail for only $200 in the States).
    It has pretty high end specs with a very low price point and I has everything you are looking for except it only has a 7" screen but for half the price, it could be worth it.

Otherwise I would say go for an iPad 2, they cost €399 new!

On that note, on the apple site they have re-furbished iPad 2 16gbs for 319 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Nexus 7 16GB is confirmed as €250 by PC World. Great value.

Sony Tablet S is €360 and would tick all your boxes and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 incher. Fun so far. Cheers for the help but mods feel free to close it :)

Ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 incher. Fun so far. Cheers for the help but mods feel free to close it :)

How much was that?

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    How much was that?
    It was 360 in PCWorld. You get your plug and cable to charge it (cable is USB so I assume you can connect it to a computer to transfer stuff).

It was 360 in PCWorld. You get your plug and cable to charge it (cable is USB so I assume you can connect it to a computer to transfer stuff).

Ah right, not bad. Yeah that's what the USB is for, charges while plugged in :)

marko93 wrote: »
    Ah right, not bad. Yeah that's what the USB is for, charges while plugged in :)
    Nice one, thanks. Haven't had much of a play around with it but it seems fast enough. Not sure about videos or anything but miles better than the phone. And the router I use is about a good 12 feet away (in the living room beneath me) so yeah good enough value I think.

Nice one, thanks. Haven't had much of a play around with it but it seems fast enough. Not sure about videos or anything but miles better than the phone. And the router I use is about a good 12 feet away (in the living room beneath me) so yeah good enough value I think.

Grand ole tablet, like most android devices, I'd suggest rooting it to remove bloatware and free up some space.

Advertisement