Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Loss using Cardio + Weightlifting - But i need Advice

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

To start, i should say this is my first time posting in this area of boards, so hello all!

In a nut shell: Over the last 2 years i have managed to loose 6 stone through a combination of Dieting and Excersize: I was 23 Stone when i started and thankfully i am now 16st 10lb...
    Over that time my cigarette habit increased quite a bit (40 a day), so this summer i decided to quit. Obviously my appetite increased so i decided to offset this by exercising more. Also at 6ft 4 weighing 16st 10lb , I STILL need to loose another 2 stone i reckon...

I have been doing a combination:

Cardio: Treadmill, Rowing, Cross Training

Weightlifing Upper: Biceps, Triceps, Pects, Deltoids

Weightlifing Lower: Quadriceps, Hamstrings and calfs

I workout cardio wise everyday as i find going to the Gym takes my mind off smoking and i would prefer to keep this up.. but there is a problem :(

its taking too long for me to recover from each weight lifting session... i was led to believe from reading and speaking with more experienced guys, that i should be able to go for the same muscle twice a week, but its looking more like a week for me... For example on saturday i did a good session: Upper Body, Pects Biceps/Triceps/Deltoids... 5 days later and there not recovered yet... For the record i have lifted weights in the past (close to ten years ago) so i know not to go nuts and lift weights that are too heavy for me. 3X 10 reps is what i have been doing... and im eating a decent high protein meal everyday.. usually chicken or beef...

Do i need to take a Protein supplement or perhaps something along the lines of Creatine? is there anything anyone would recommend that i use to decrease recovery time, and allow me to get more done each week?

Im late twenties and the last time i did any weightlifting was in my teens...

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

How do you know your not recovered?

What's your routine specifically - exercises, sets, reps, etc.

If your losing weight then generally you don't want to do a lot of volume (I'd say 3x10 is fair bit of volume if your trying to lose weight).

Tiwce per week is about right but if your doing 5+ sets per bodypart it's probably too much. Or once per week just suits you better.

Could be lots of things but until you post exactly what your doing no one will know. You've posted body parts; that dosn't give much to go on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    How do you know your not recovered?

What's your routine specifically - exercises, sets, reps, etc.

If your losing weight then generally you don't want to do a lot of volume (I'd say 3x10 is fair bit of volume if your trying to lose weight).

Tiwce per week is about right but if your doing 5+ sets per bodypart it's probably too much. Or once per week just suits you better.

Could be lots of things but until you post exactly what your doing no one will know. You've posted body parts; that dosn't give much to go on really.

I understand what your saying but i am not up on much of the terminology so here goes! :o

Biceps: Free Weights/Dumbbells - Curls 180deg turning into the curl half way

Triceps: Free Weights/Dumbbells - overhead curling weight behind head

Deltoid/Pects: Bench-press - Lying flat for pects - arched at 30odd degrees for combination of deltoids and pects - also the pull down row (i think thats what its called:o)

Hamstring/Quadriceps: I use the Seated Machines for these lifts

Basically i was told by someone i 'believe' to be experienced to lift 3 sets of ten reps on whatever im trying to work. I appreciate any advice yee can offer on this..

i am looking for a way to get two weights sessions per muscle a week as opposed to one... and i am willing to take supplements if necessary (as long as they're not TOO pricey :o)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Congrats on losing weight, getting off the smokes and sticking with the exercise. Sounds like quite the lifestyle change, so well done. :)

Your main question here is about recovery it seems. You say you've been exercising more than you were - how much more? How many sessions would you do a week, how intense would they be and how many rest days do you afford yourself?

How's your sleep?

If you've been consistently losing weight it means that you've been consistently operating at a calorific deficit. Recovery is always harder in such a scenario, so the more weight you've been managing to lose naturally the longer your recovery should be from intense sessions.

Don't forget that if you've changed your weight regimine or upped intensity you could just be experiencing some DOMs for a period while your body adapts. And on the other end of the scale, if you've really been hitting it hard you could be overtraining to some extent.

There's no one path with regards to amount of sets and repititions within each set. Generally speaking, you would do lower repetitions with a heavier weight to increase strength, and higher repetitions with a moderate weight to increase mass.

As far as 'getting two weight sessions per muscle' is concerned I would argue that anyone would be better served by doing compound lifts. For example, in terms of the upper body work you are describing, I think you'd do just as well if your exercises were:

Bench
    Incline Bench
    Barbell or dumbell rows
    Pullups / Chinups (if you're gym has an assisted pullup machine that could get you started)

Two pushing motions, two pulling motions, four exercises total and a lot of ground covered.

For legs, I'd suggest ditching some of the machines and doing barbell squats and lunges instead. Squats in particular help to work an awful lot of muscles in the one exercise.

And then, if you want to repeat upper / lower body routines within a 7 day period you can maybe alternate volume and strength days (i.e. having a day where you do your 3 x 8 - 10 routine and a day where you try and lift heavier 3 x 5).

Maybe post a typical week in terms of food and exercise. Bit of work on your end, but it will garner superior responses. There is a temptation to think that you are one protein shake or supplement away from solving any issues, but it normally doesn't work like that. They tend to be a very, very small part of the equation ime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

liamtech wrote: »
    I understand what your saying but i am not up on much of the terminology so here goes! :o

Biceps: Free Weights/Dumbbells - Curls 180deg turning into the curl half way

Triceps: Free Weights/Dumbbells - overhead curling weight behind head

Deltoid/Pects: Bench-press - Lying flat for pects - arched at 30odd degrees for combination of deltoids and pects - also the pull down row (i think thats what its called:o)

Hamstring/Quadriceps: I use the Seated Machines for these lifts

Basically i was told by someone i 'believe' to be experienced to lift 3 sets of ten reps on whatever im trying to work. I appreciate any advice yee can offer on this..

i am looking for a way to get two weights sessions per muscle a week as opposed to one... and i am willing to take supplements if necessary (as long as they're not TOO pricey :o)

Is that everything you do in an upper session?
    curls 3x10
    Tri extensions 3x10
    Bench press 3x10
    Incline press 3x10
    Lat pulldown 3x10 ? you mean this

3x10 is fine but if your not recovering maybe try some lower volume like 2x5 not including warm ups. How often do you train? What days do you do what? Supplements may help but for something like protein you'll need to take out some other foods to make sure your still eating a calorie deficit.

How do you gauge recovery? Are still trying to increase the weight lifted every session? That's going to be hard while losing weight, especially with how much you have lost (congrats btw). Have you read this?

Things like squats are all well and good but only if you have someone capable of showing you what to do. There's no reason not to leg press instead of extensions though if your not already doing them.

Read the sticky I linked to first and then come back with any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭boxinginfo

liamtech wrote: »
    To start, i should say this is my first time posting in this area of boards, so hello all!

In a nut shell: Over the last 2 years i have managed to loose 6 stone through a combination of Dieting and Excersize: I was 23 Stone when i started and thankfully i am now 16st 10lb...
    Over that time my cigarette habit increased quite a bit (40 a day), so this summer i decided to quit. Obviously my appetite increased so i decided to offset this by exercising more. Also at 6ft 4 weighing 16st 10lb , I STILL need to loose another 2 stone i reckon...

I have been doing a combination:

Cardio: Treadmill, Rowing, Cross Training

Weightlifing Upper: Biceps, Triceps, Pects, Deltoids

Weightlifing Lower: Quadriceps, Hamstrings and calfs

I workout cardio wise everyday as i find going to the Gym takes my mind off smoking and i would prefer to keep this up.. but there is a problem :(

its taking too long for me to recover from each weight lifting session... i was led to believe from reading and speaking with more experienced guys, that i should be able to go for the same muscle twice a week, but its looking more like a week for me... For example on saturday i did a good session: Upper Body, Pects Biceps/Triceps/Deltoids... 5 days later and there not recovered yet... For the record i have lifted weights in the past (close to ten years ago) so i know not to go nuts and lift weights that are too heavy for me. 3X 10 reps is what i have been doing... and im eating a decent high protein meal everyday.. usually chicken or beef...

Do i need to take a Protein supplement or perhaps something along the lines of Creatine? is there anything anyone would recommend that i use to decrease recovery time, and allow me to get more done each week?

Im late twenties and the last time i did any weightlifting was in my teens...

LOOSE THE WEIGHT FIRST......

better off increasing cardio by 40 mins and dropping the weights .

when youre at youre ideal weight go 8-14 pounds under this.

start doing only weights trainning then, seem as you havent done it before you should tone alot faster, but even with the same diet expect to gain weight (muscle) while loosing B.M.I. -fat percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

boxinginfo wrote: »
    LOOSE THE WEIGHT FIRST......

better off increasing cardio by 40 mins and dropping the weights .

when youre at youre ideal weight go 8-14 pounds under this.

start doing only weights trainning then, seem as you havent done it before you should tone alot faster, but even with the same diet expect to gain weight (muscle) while loosing B.M.I. -fat percentage.

It's entirely possible to lose weight from not doing any cardio and just lifting weights/eating clean, I should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Frogdog wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to lose weight from not doing any cardio and just lifting weights/eating clean, I should know.

Thats entirely possible,but you loose more weight if you combine the two in one excersise.
    workout weight first and then do cardio.
    I was 115 kg 2 years ago,and are now 100kg,and 6`2",i started the 5x5 program and did 30min on the bike or running following each workout.
    Offcourse on a diet,and no alcohol.;)

Advertisement