Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy & Holidays in Ireland

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

my wife will be about 6 months along come September and we are thinking of going away for a few days in Ireland. Just 2 adults, no kids, pets etc. Any suggestions on good destinations whilst pregnant? We're based in Dublin so anywhere outside of there would be good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I'd venture it depends on what herself fancies when she's pregnant. Somewhere with a nice pool if she enjoys swimming and wants the gentle exercise, and a place with a spa that caters with maternity treatments would be something that delights me personally :) That being said space and privacy might be a greater concern. It'll depend on herself really.

To try be a bit more useful, we're doing similar in Aug with a staycation though I'll be closer to 8mths and we'll have our two kids with us. We've opted for a self catering house on the grounds of a hotel so that we can have all the benefits of the facilities including not having to cook when we choose not to, but having the space and privacy of a house instead of a hotel room that we'll need to be vacating for housekeeping or listening to busy corridors and the TV in the next room when I'm up half the night and not sleeping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Hi

I'll also be 6 months pregnant in September and my partner and I are hoping to travel somewhere in Ireland for a break (also our first). Currently we're torn between west cork which I've visited since I was a child and where he has family and Belfast which is great for couples and like a city break but so accessible.

They're our two options and we're equally torn between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say somewhere quiet with no loud bars or nightclubs. I'd even go as far as to stipulate to the hotel when booking that you want the quietest room far far away from other children etc because your wife is pregnant and wants rest. We went on a 'relaxing' weekend away in a pretentious country house in Clare when I was 6 months pregnant and we were sandwiched in between a family's get together.

I didn't get a wink of sleep, their kids had me awake until midnight running up and down the corridor, they woke me up again at 6am and it was the most horrible, stressful weekend away ever. I was in tears coming home and I don't cry very easily not even while pregnant.

So a nice hotel, not too pretentious (ours didn't believe in tvs in the rooms but kids running amok was fine apparently!), a pool and spa treatments and the quietest room they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Piper101 wrote: »
    Hi

I'll also be 6 months pregnant in September and my partner and I are hoping to travel somewhere in Ireland for a break (also our first). Currently we're torn between west cork which I've visited since I was a child and where he has family and Belfast which is great for couples and like a city break but so accessible.

They're our two options and we're equally torn between them.
    I'd go for the city break in Belfast. It's a lovely city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We went to Union Hall in West Cork when I was around 6 months as well. Went whale/ dolphin watching in Baltimore, stayed in a fab B&B n Union Hall that I'd go back to in a heart beat, nice stroll, good food... Really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

liliq wrote: »
    We went to Union Hall in West Cork when I was around 6 months as well. Went whale/ dolphin watching in Baltimore, stayed in a fab B&B n Union Hall that I'd go back to in a heart beat, nice stroll, good food... Really enjoyed it!

This could be it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Galway city? The raddison has a lovely spa and is close to the edge of the city. Loads of restaurants (i know i prefer a nice meal out rather than a pub when pregnant). Salthill for lovely walks . connemara for touring, a day trip to aran islands, some nice baby shops for browsing as well as a few nice maternity shops (she'll just be getting her bump!). Cinema. As far as i know there is a race festival on in september too. The g hotel is lovely and has a spa but no pool as far as i know. You're a short drive to clare for the alliwee caves, cliffs of moher, doolin beach, lahinch (surfing for you! -they do lessons). Loads to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Unless you want to be at the Galway races you don't want to be in Galway at that time (I think it's late August) - you will also pay way over the odds for accommodation but it is a good base any other time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

The main galway races is the last week of july, first week in august. The september meet is alot smaller and only on for 3 days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

The main galway races is the last week of july, first week in august. The september meet is alot smaller and only on for 3 days I think.

Thanks Queen of Sheebs - I knew it clashed with one of my clinic visits last year...brain is a little mush these days :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement