Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legging it on a contract?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any boarders have any knowledge of this unsavory practice? I have heard from a few different sources that mobile phone contracts are in fact bull**** and they are more or less powerless if a customer decides to up and leave. I recently had my iphone stolen in a 48 hour window I was uninsured of 7 months as i was switching policy from the rip off one meteor conned me with. I asked the rip off company about this and coincidentally my policy was up the day just before my phone was stolen. So now im stuck paying iphone bill prices with a god damn ZTE racer iii. I would sooner have an ancient nokia cos the phone is so slow I can never bring myself to do anything on it. Even texting someone back is a chore. I have a ridiculously high phone bill for last month as well impending but I would be happy to square this up with them and then leg it if it's a viable option. Just wondering do any forum users have any knowledge of this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You will get chased for the debt, just like any broken contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

you signed a contract which is legally binding - of course they can chase you for it.
    Plus, you would have provided your name, address and possibly where you work so they probably wouldn't have any problem finding you if they wanted to pursue you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A few nasty letters and that's it. They won't chase you too hard. Costs them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

A few nasty letters and that's it. They won't chase you too hard. Costs them too much.

Will you pay the op's legal fees if it goes to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Surely they just sell on your debt to a debt collection agency ?
    And what about your credit rating ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I know of one person who ran up a bill with a mobile phone company, they took it to court so it isn't just a case that they forget about it and advising someone to just forget about it, is terrible advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its not really meteors fault you lost your phone. You signed a contract, as long as they honor their part of their deal (which is providing a service) then your entitled to pay for that as agreed.

As above, they will eventually just pass on what you owe to a dept collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, how long was the contract and how long is left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Walkman wrote: »
    Will you pay the op's legal fees if it goes to court?
    long_b wrote: »
    Surely they just sell on your debt to a debt collection agency ?
    And what about your credit rating ?
    Vahevala wrote: »
    I know of one person who ran up a bill with a mobile phone company, they took it to court so it isn't just a case that they forget about it and advising someone to just forget about it, is terrible advice...

Well I am still waiting for o2 and vodafone to take me to court. That was 2 years or so now. No sign of anything happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimmy Talons

thanks for the replys, not something i am set on doing but was curious as to what the reality was as a few different people had said it to me. i dont mind sticking with it and dont need the hassle should they kick off. its a 24 month contract with a daunting 16 months left. i guess ill just have to take the 600 euro shakedown when the 5 comes out. figure i'll wait at this stage if im taking that kind of a hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

You will be chased by debt collection agencies, it will affect your credit rating and a judgement may even be sought against you (worst case) in court. Vodafone have been known to bring customers to court over €100, and with Meteor/Eircom being in dire straights, they might be desperate and not care about their reputation. At the very least, you will have debt collection agencies hassling you.

I would try sorting it out with Meteor first. Perhaps they'd be willing to sell you another iPhone at a discounted rate or reduce your fees? I think it would be fair to give them the chance to do right by you first. If you explain to them it is your fault (in fairness it is your fault), they might do something for you. Honesty is the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cheapphones

There is of course always grounds to cancelling a contract.. The Network also has to supply you with a service.. That is one part of the contract that they never seem to mention when signals are poor etc etc.. There's always more than one way to look at a conflict in contracts..

Personally I would buy an android phone and just pop your sim into it and finish out the contract if the tariff is suiting you? Or at least negotiate a better tariff which suits your usage..

They'd rather get some money out of you rather than lose you as a customer completely..

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

That's true. They have to be able to provide you with a service. Very often, they conveniently forget about this. I remember a contact of mine got an iPhone 4 on o2, but they weren't able to provide him with a signal, so they let him out of the contract and switch back to Vodafone with no penalty. They even unlocked his phone for him. However, it's probably within their rights to demand that you return your device in such a case if they so wish.

Advertisement