Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Gobberment isn't showing up to Work, + Public vs Private Sick Days

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I know a few places where it happened,and one place ya they did get fired,they took more than 3 days(which is all they were allowed) then got sacked after they took the 4th one..does happen no kidding ya..

hondasam wrote: »
    If the private sector were paid sick days they would abuse them too.

eh no i don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I know a few places where it happened,and one place ya they did get fired,they took more than 3 days(which is all they were allowed) then got sacked after they took the 4th one..does happen no kidding ya..

Rubbish it would be unfair dismissal. I have worked long enough to know workers rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

bluewolf wrote: »
    eh no i don't

You are one person, I know several who do.
    I'm a public service worker and I don't abuse the sick days, never have but I know several who do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

hondasam wrote: »
    Rubbish it would be unfair dismissal. I have worked long enough to know workers rights.

I was actually in a place,where they fired a worker after 4 days of sickness,they gave them first a written warning,then a verbal warning,said they were taking absentee days and didnt look sick,there was no doc note produced so they went for it and fired them on the spot on the second day of the warnings they were producing,they went into a meeting on the last day and voila fired..not even kidding!

for unfair dismissal they would have to be there for 3 months minimum,in some places they would have to be on a second contract in order for that to kick in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I'd expect the public sector to have more sick days than the private for some valid reasons:

1. Due to prevalence of flexi-time, term-time, job-sharing contracts and family-friendly lack of overtime, they hire far more women who are primary care-givers than the private sector. Those ladies will not only need leave when they're sick, they'll also need it when their children are.

2. The gender balance being heavily female would also lead to more casual absence (i.e. PMT) in a culture where this is tolerated (as it is in many departments - see all the anecdotes about sick leave being treated as annual leave). It also means more pregnant women in the workforce which means more legitimate sick leave.

3. The public sector has a far better record for hiring those with disabilities that might require more sick leave due to hospital appointments / complications to do with their conditions.

4. The Public Sector is far more heavily unionised than the Private Sector this means that the tiny percentage of workers who absolutely take the piss on sick leave are far harder to fire than their non-unionised private sector equivalents.

5. The private sector includes many self-employed people or people who own a share of the company they're working for. This is a disincentive to them taking sick leave for a bad cold / minor virus that many of the rest of us would call in sick for.

6. Those same employers are far less likely to be tolerant of sick leave than a public sector manager who won't be losing money over it.

7. Absence figures are easily skewed where you have any member of staff out on long-term sick leave. Many private sector companies have it in their contracts that an individual's job is only held for a given period of time when they're on long-term sick leave. The public sector tend to treat workers far better in this regard and will often hold someone's job (whilst paying them) for over a year of long-term illness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Simple, the first day of sick leave should not be paid.... or paid retrospectivily if the persons is certified off for more than 5 days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I work in the private sector. It's a fairly regular occurrence that I'd still come into work when I'm sick. A lot of my colleagues would be the same. Kind of part of the culture here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Birroc wrote: »
    Are you proud of that? I doubt you're the norm.
    Facts show that private sector sick days half that of public sector.

I don't derive my pride from my 9-5, no!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

See how public sector "sick days" F**KED up my bike test here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056656560&page=2

[EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] they are

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Government officials, minisiters, td's / politicians avergaing 12 sick days pa
    Public Sector, HSE, public transport etc averaging 7 sick days pa
    Private Sector workers ( holding the country up ) - 3 sick days pa

According to IBEC and based on their fairly vague methodology the average number of sick days taken by private sector employees per annum is not 3 but actually 5.98. Obviously the public sector who are all PAYE workers are far easier to quantify accurately but even this is a far more realistic total for the private sector.

Also the public sector figures are skewed by the Disability Act 2005 which obliges all Government agencies to employ at least 3% staff with disabilities. This is something the private sector doesn't have to adhere to. As this Act requires people with"a substantial restriction in the capacity to hold a job" be employed this has a huge affect on sick leave figures.

It never ceases to amaze me that this private sector versus public sector bollóx is still is trotted out when the Government needs some misdirection for one of their magic tricks.
    Stiffler2 wrote: »
    See how public sector "sick days" F**KED up my bike test here

There's just under 300000 public sector workers. Even with their old-fashioned work procedures I doubt they all could have been involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm on the public sector and I need a doc cert after ONE day sick, I don't see why other departments are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm on the public sector and I need a doc cert after ONE day sick, I don't see why other departments are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

CJC999 wrote: »
    CJC999 wrote: »

Should get that alzheimers looked at next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

I don't know what the Irish obsession with doctors certs are regarding sick leave is, all sick leave is treated the same, certified or uncertified. When it comes to disciplinery action its absent days regardless of certifications. It would be best if the practice of requiring certifications after three days was abandoned. Imo it fuels extra days taken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement