Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with Socket 2011?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone on the northside / city center are of Dublin happens to have a Socket 2011 mobo that I could borrow / try out briefly!

I got a new rig and either my CPU or Asus Rampage IV Extreme is DOA. Got the Red CPU error light on board. Suspect that the mobo is DOA, but could easily rule out if someone could let me pop my CPU into their Mobo or loan me a spare CPU!!

Big ask, I know! But I am shuddering at the thought of the 3-4+ weeks of RMA crap!

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't help you with a lend since I'm in Limerick + don't really fancy having to go through what I had to do today again. I had the same deal, first it was cpu light, then dram, then boot device. each time I had to take everything apart and reseat it. I got a total body workout from lifting the full sinobi xl build (30kg?!) straight out infront of me while I weaved through couches and chairs till I got to the kitchen table where I could then attempt to fix things.

Ended up just using up all the motherboard standoffs I could find, especially the ones that didn't correspond to the ones on the board, then took ram out switched it around for good luck and made sure to press it as hard as i could until it did the little click from the side you wouldn't expect would need a click.

Still no beep, then suddenly all fans blazing it posted and no more heartbreak.

I apologise for the short story:
    tl;dr, ram needs to be pushed harder than I've ever needed to push ram, cpu should make a scary scratching noise as you close the clips. and the cat will always jump onto the table when you least expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi,

thanks for the tips and thoughts. Unfortunatley, all things I have tried already! Am pretty sure at this stage that either the mobo or the CPU is dead. I have the Asus Rampage IV Extreme and it has some good LED diagnostics. Before post, the red CPU led is indicating that there is a problem with the CPU. According to ASUS forums, this usually indicates RMA of mobo!

Pity we aren't geographically closer! I cant believe how few people seem to have 2011!

Cheers,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It will almost certainly be the Mobo - I had the same issue on a GENE III Maximus recently. CPU was fine the Mobo had gone to silicon heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Fook Me.....

THE EFFIN REPLACEMENT MOBO ARRIVED AND IS DOA TOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am fit to be tied.....goddam ASUS.....word to the wise, steer clear, they obviously havent figured out that you need to test products before you ship them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

jabaroon wrote: »
    Fook Me.....

THE EFFIN REPLACEMENT MOBO ARRIVED AND IS DOA TOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am fit to be tied.....goddam ASUS.....word to the wise, steer clear, they obviously havent figured out that you need to test products before you ship them!

:( 'tis a sad story.
    Hopefully my asrock board z77 extreme 4 won't be a dud. Aren't asrock a break away company from Asus?

• Advertisement
Advertisement