Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clogherhead Round the Head Swim

• 05-07-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Its a nice 2.5km swim in Clogherhead, outside Drogheda. Did it myself two years ago (first place) and will be back this year to regain my title :D

Information:
    Clogherhead 2.5K Round the Head Swim is on Saturday 21st July at 11.00 from Lifeboat Station. Registration from 09.00, entry fee €20
    and

Clogherhead 1 K Green Buoy Swim is on Saturday 21st July at 13.30 from the Harbour. Registration from 12.00, entry fee €5.

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/clogherhead-round-the-head-swim-3141977.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Did this last year with a few people I know, great spot for a splash and Ray and the guys put on a serious bit of grub afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Its a nice swim to navigate, just swim along the coast, around the head, pass the pier and make a line for the slipway, marked with a bouy.

Looking forward to it. It will be my first OW event this year. Normally I do more but this year a lot of the swims I do, I just can't get too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

okane1 wrote: »
    Did it myself two years ago (first place) and will be back this year to regain my title

Well done, you dark horse! Can't do it unfortunately, Leinster swim on that day also, but if it's cancelled I'll be there....good luck with it Okane1.

Less than 2hrs to go!! It is a great day for a swim. Sun out, wind down and little to no swell.

Less than 2hrs to go!! It is a great day for a swim. Sun out, wind down and little to no swell.

Have a good one..

Couple of hours to go for the Eddie Heron race....good 2k+ race....water check, banana check,togs check, vaseline check...:D

• Advertisement

Good swim. First half was a bit rough with the swell breaking over your right shoulder. After you rounded the head, the current was with you.

I was just beaten, about 5secs.
    My excuses! Stopped three times to fix my hat!
    My time (unofficial) 31.39. Some 6mins faster than my previous swim.

Me in the background just as first place stands up :mad:

Picture001.jpg

And me. Yes I am cheating in a wetsuit, still got stung by a jelly!
    As you can see, my hat is in a mess. Bloody thing lost me the race :rolleyes:

Picture002.jpg

Ah hard luck Okane......FairPlay for nearly winning it twice....what handicap did they give you?

No handicaps, its a mass start.
    How did you get on today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

As usual Ray and the guys put on a great show and the apres swim BBQ was most welcome. Great to take part in these events. Brilliant attitude shown by Ray and some of the seasoned swimmers in Drogheda masters shepherding some of the beginners or weaker swimmers around the course.

The favourable wind helped proceedings this year with faster times but unfortunately buried my face into a jellyfish early on. I'm still far from a 100% after the break, but off the crutches 2 weeks, its coming back nicely and this swim set me up for Swinford this morning. Conditions were the polar opposite unfortunately.

Again, hats off to a well run local event, friendly atmosphere and bargain price !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 colinm5040

Ciaran Mc Ardle is the hot favourite this year to take the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Anyone know when this years race is? Did this last year and it was a great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Yeah, Anyone know when this is happening this year? I really want to take part this time.

Also, to anyone who has done this swim before, what's the current like going around the head?

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Yeah, Anyone know when this is happening this year? I really want to take part this time.

Also, to anyone who has done this swim before, what's the current like going around the head?

Last year it was nice weather and other than some chop from the right when rounding the first headland no real issues. It was a really nice race with a great atmosphere and a big feed at the end.

It's a couple of hours drive for me to do a 40min swim but I'll definitely be back if I can this year.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Last year it was nice weather and other than some chop from the right when rounding the first headland no real issues. It was a really nice race with a great atmosphere and a big feed at the end.

It's a couple of hours drive for me to do a 40min swim but I'll definitely be back if I can this year.

Cheers, I wanted to do it last year but I had an injury and God-willing, I'll be fully fit to take part by the time it's on this year.
    I've been trying to lower the amount of time it takes me to do 2.5km. Getting it in under an hour is my priority for the next few weeks.
    Where there many jellyfish the last time?

Don't be thinking of Jelly Fish. You may never see one.

mad m wrote: »
    Don't be thinking of Jelly Fish. You may never see one.

Thanks for your assurance mad m :)

I tell ye though, was swimming open water over here last year and the sea was thick with them, no joke and they were bigger then the Irish ones too.
    There was also a portuguese man o'war that killed someone down near malaga around september/october. You do have to watch but I think a lot of it with them is to do with current and what's in the water.

Where there many jellyfish the last time?

I swam it twice and haven't seen any. Mind you, it been stung both times I swam it!

This swim is almost my local event, only been 18km from it. I will email the organiser to see if they have a firm date for this year. Hopefully I will be around for it.

I swam it twice and haven't seen any. Mind you, it been stung both times I swam it!

This swim is almost my local event, only been 18km from it. I will email the organiser to see if they have a firm date for this year. Hopefully I will be around for it.

Thanks very much, man. Being from Drogheda, I'd dare say that it's my local event too(unless there's an event in the boyne that i don't know about:pac:)
    It would be perfect if it were on at the same weekend as last year because the lads and I are going to be going interrailing and I hope to be coming home a few days before. Would love to swim it:)

Thanks for your assurance mad m :)

I tell ye though, was swimming open water over here last year and the sea was thick with them, no joke and they were bigger then the Irish ones too.
    There was also a portuguese man o'war that killed someone down near malaga around september/october. You do have to watch but I think a lot of it with them is to do with current and what's in the water.

Swam Galway Salthill swim last year and it was like an underwater city as I was swimming...Loads of what looked like box jelly fish, have to say they looked much nicer than a lions maine.

It is my understanding this swim will take place on either the 13th or 20th of July. Once I get confirmation, I will pass on.

• Advertisement

The 13th would be great, the 20th clashes with the Warior Of The Sea.

Just got word the swim this year is on Saturday 13th July at 13.00

• Registered Users Posts: 14 colinm5040

Anyone know when this years race is? Did this last year and it was a great day out.

Next Saturday. 13th of july

Anyone else do this? I found it very tough I have to say, rough from start to finish with loads of jellyfish (but managed to avoid getting stung). Anyone got a link to the results / details of the winners time?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Poirot

Anyone else do this? I found it very tough I have to say, rough from start to finish with loads of jellyfish (but managed to avoid getting stung). Anyone got a link to the results / details of the winners time?

I agree - I found it quite challenging (it's a new experience to headbutt a jellyfish, luckily they weren't stingers) but one that I certainly will do again next year.
    I haven't seen any finish times posted yet.

Results are up on the Drogheda Tri Club Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

I can't find any more info about this event. Anyone know if it'll run in 2015?

Grizz wrote: »
    I can't find any more info about this event. Anyone know if it'll run in 2015?

It's down for July 18th.

Thanks Griffin
    That's the same day as the great Dublin swim. Hmm decisions decisions! I did the the great Dublin swim last year and it was worth doin again.
    Any recommendations ?

• Advertisement

Grizz wrote: »
    Thanks Griffin
    That's the same day as the great Dublin swim. Hmm decisions decisions! I did the the great Dublin swim last year and it was worth doin again.
    Any recommendations ?

They're completey different events. The Dublin swim is a large event in a big pond, ATH is a more challenging 2.5km sea swim with small numbers. I know which I'd prefer. ATH also seems to be a lot cheaper!!

You've convinced me !
    Clogherhead it is so. Always up for a new challenge

Advertisement