Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On Ratios

• 05-07-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone else give much thought to ratios in their photography? (aspect ratios, not lighting ratios by the way!).

I normally try to keep all my pictures consistently 3:2, even when cropping, occasionally I'll go for something like 16:9 if I want to create a movie/tv like feel or I'll go for a square crop if it suits some detail. I rarely square crop landscapes though, even though I love that ratio in MF pictures.

I find I like 3:2 in landscape orientation, but when it comes to portraits of people, particularly torso & face I find the breadth a little restrictive, does anyone else find that? I suppose I can see why 'standard' headshots are 10x8.

For panoramas I tend to stick with whole number ratios like 2:1 or 3:1.

I have a bronica etrs which makes 4:3 negatives and I'm actually growing to really like that ratio. I don't use it in portrait orientation because I only have a waste level finder, but even for a headshot I find 4:3 a nice aspect in landscape.

What are peoples thoughts on 3:2? Do people free crop for composition without considering the aspect?

Out of curiosity what's the aspect on bog standard 35mm SLRs? Is it the same as fullframe dSLRs?

Does anyone have any interesting aspect ratios which they use to evoke a particular feeling that they'd like to share?

I suppose I'd like to see an interesting conversation that doesn't involve the law, gear or purely technical aspects (pardon the pun) of photography.

I'm interested in the aesthetics here, not the technics.

For reference and to get the ball rolling, here's a 3:2 torso of mine:
    p235870700-3.jpg

You can see if I'd gone any further in on the face I'd start to lose the sides of the body in this aspect.

Now here's a 2:1 and a 3:1 panorama for comparison
    p78332321-3.jpg

p982037199-3.jpg

And finally I don't think this would work as well in anything but a square crop
    p101070244-3.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the reasons i like shooting on the hasselblad is that it removes this issue; a case of less often being more.

the frame size on 35mm film is 36mm x 24mm, so 3:2.

i prefer 3:2 to 4:3. 4:3 seems like a bit of a compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd generally shoot given the constraints of whichever format I'm shooting with, I try never to crop afterwards, so either square or 3:2 (35mm or 6x9) .
    The one exception is that sometimes while shooting I'll be considering getting something printed up (or printing it up myself) on 8x10 so I'll take that into account.

Ratio rarely crosses my mind. If it's pre-purchased portrait package that includes certain prints/sizes then I'll try to keep that in mind (usually 8x10). I like the 3:2/8x12 ratio, though, because it's what my camera sees and I can work with that.

I'd love to get my hands on the fella that decided 8x10 was a standard photo size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I shoot a lot of stuff 11x14" commercially, but I like square format and I also use (pretentiously :)) the Golden Section.

Advertisement