Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda charges: Semi vs Private

Options
  • 05-07-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Due baby number 3 and am booked in to the Semi-private clinic in the Rotunda. The options for the semi-private have changed since my last child was born, you now can now be seen by a Registrar led team for 1200 euro or a Consultant led team for 1800 euro.

Does anyone know what the pricing is like in the private clinic and are their similar type options? Having had two babies there already I'm thinking it would be nice for my last one to have my own room for once. The lack of sleep over the two nights post birth were shattering. If I only had to deal with waking up when my own baby cried it might be more manageable.
    The only thing I would miss is the midwives during birth. They were amazing both times and I didn't enjoy my encounters with consultants or senior doctors.
    Does a fully private birth mean that midwives aren't as involved?
    I nearly wanted to take them all home with me afterwards, they are amazing women (and men!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From what I recall, the primary difference between private and semi-private is that in the private you get a consultant-led team and you get to choose your consultant. The rates per consultant can vary IIRC.

The midwives will be just as involved in the birth regardless of what route you take.

You also get a private room, but this isn't guaranteed. They did have an information pack on their website which contained all this information, but they've temporarily taken it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I'm currently with the SPC Rotunda too, so its fairly recent that I had pricing for the Private clinic. Seamus is right, each consultants rates vary for fully private and the starting price is 3.5k

I've already had an admission on this pregnancy in the first trimester and my experiences on the gynea & pre-natal wards were that its CRAZY busy, and the public post-natal wards are beyond struggling with capacity. On my 3 night stint there I was moved from a SP pre-natal ward to a public gynea ward because the SP pre-natal 4 bed room was being converted into an overflow post-natal (this was after they became desperate and moved two women post delivery into the ward with their newborns - no fun for me when admitted at 9wks with concerns for a miscarriage).

A friend of mine gave birth just a few weeks ago, and she was in a SP post-natal ward alone at first and then public patients were moved up due to sheer overflow.

I found it very hard being on the public ward post-natal on my other pregnancies and it fills me with dread just thinking of the noise and stress of it, but the midwives always do their best and they moved me as soon as they had a SP bed available. What worries me though is the lack of guarantees that there will be a private room available when the time comes. I mean you might pay out the 3.5k + and still end up in whatever the best bed they have for you is on the day :s That being said, I didn't even flinch at the SP 1.2k fee as the difference between the clinic visits and the madness in the main hospital is worth every cent, esp for my hypertension issues ;)

Advertisement