Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cant get car insurance in this country , please help !

Options
  • 05-07-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all , im hoping someone may be able to help me.
    Im 35 full clean irish driving license trying to insure my subaru impreza turbo , car has been off the road since september 2009 due to lose of job , i had a full no claims bonus of 9years + but since i ve only been named on my wifes car since 2009 my previous ncb has lapsed .I ve called numerous insurers and they all say the same thing either we wont insure said car or your previous experience does nt count anymore. Does anyone know if northern ireland insurers will insure us down here or a decent broker that will cover me . Im at my wits end trying to find a solution .All help greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Since the insurance company are cheating you, have not a second thought about telling any lie necessary.
    You were driving a company vehicle in the intervening period, right?

Try insure.ie or whatever they are called now, being named on your wifes policy will probably get you some NCB back.
    I wish someone would take these gansters to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 swerv555

but what lies can i tell them if i say i have full ncb surely they will look for proof , i am into double figures today alone of companies i have contacted but still the same answer , what a country we live in !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you tried xsdirect? They should insure you but you will have a huge excess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You are a "househusband".

If it works for a woman,then it can work for a man.

Fire a call off to some of the brokers too.

Give John Power Insurance Services a call or else Wexford Insurers.

These should be able to look after you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Since the insurance company are cheating you, have not a second thought about telling any lie necessary.

Try insure.ie or whatever they are called now, being named on your wifes policy will probably get you some NCB back.

Not sure if serious? :confused:

If you are it's not good. OP isn't being cheated. NCB's hold for 2 years, and after that are gone.

Even if you don't like that it's still no excuse to falsify a proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

And what happens when they ask for a letter from the employer to confirm this - they will do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Can your wife insure the Subaru with her insurer (ask them for change of vehicle insured) and name you as a driver for it.

Then you get a new policy for her car in your name - that way your wife's NCB is allocated to the expensive car/policy and you then start a new NCB for what is presumably a normal car which everyone will quote for.

By the way, this is 100% allowed between spouses as all property is jointly owned and the insurable interest element is 100% covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Try brokers rather than insurers direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thebiglad wrote: »
    And what happens when they ask for a letter from the employer to confirm this - they will do so!
    Photoshop is your friend and put relative details as contact then. :pac:
    As someone mentioned these clowns should all be jailed for the amount they charge on insurance,and wtf how can all ncb disappear if i dont drive,same as bank would say you didnt use your account for last two years so all money are gone now :D,if it takes to lie,lie to the b****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

listermint wrote: »
    Have you tried xsdirect? They should insure you but you will have a huge excess.

You can buy back the excess to 1K, if you want to. There is a loading for imprezzas but you will get a quote from them. The most recent quote I got from them was super-competitive (about 50% cheaper than my current insurer), so if you are willing to take the risk of the excess, then its at least worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any more posts suggesting the OP lie, or do anything illegal will be banned for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not sure if serious? :confused:

If you are it's not good. OP isn't being cheated. NCB's hold for 2 years, and after that are gone.

Even if you don't like that it's still no excuse to falsify a proposal.

...it shouldn't be gone if he has a record of being insured on another car, since, really, as he has been insured (albeit as a named driver), so it's not like he vanished off the planet or anything.

My wife is back on the road now on her 'bike, and we had to go back to scratch on her bike NCB - 16yrs of hers expired, too...... :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...it shouldn't be gone if he has a record of being insured on another car, since, really, as he has been insured (albeit as a named driver), so it's not like he vanished off the planet or anything.

My wife is back on the road now on her 'bike, and we had to go back to scratch on her bike NCB - 16yrs of hers expired, too...... :mad:

I think it's because the policy itself has lapsed two years, the OP being a named driver would be on another policy and once a policy lapses 2 years it's no longer usable.

It's a bit of a ridiculous rule though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

galwaytt wrote: »

NCB relates to the insured's policy doesn't it?

If he was covered by somone else's policy (as a named driver) losing the NCB after 2 years is fair enough imho.

If it was that valauble it would have been worth buying a wreck, keeping it off the road, and insuring that.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

The problem really isnt the driving experience. Most insurers will give a price for drivers with named driving experience. The problem is the car - subaru impreza turbo!! Alot of insurers just dont quote for it, or if they do, will heavily load it as its seen as a bad risk.

Just tried xcess direct with a €3000 excess they still want €1515 thats absolute madness , seems like i ll have to put the car in storage at this rate .

swerv555 wrote: »
    Just tried xcess direct with a €3000 excess they still want €1515 thats absolute madness , seems like i ll have to put the car in storage at this rate .

Get onto a good Broker. It'll still be expensive btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Try First Ireland. Insurance here is a joke tbh. Lots of companies will not insure these cars now regardless of age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i had insurance for my skyline through "arachas" broker, try them.

Also, might worth get something smaller at first, like vw polo, or focus, with small engine, drive it for while, then try get insurance for your subaru, insurer should transfer insurance to next car, might will ask some more extra money, but i think they cant refuse.

You've got to pay for your fun. A Subaru Impreza turbo of any sort will cost maybe €1000 p.a. based on overall risk, claims experience, and potential for theft.

Without an NCB add say 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Given your situation, that is a reasonable quote.

If he was covered by somone else's policy (as a named driver) losing the NCB after 2 years is fair enough imho.

If it was that valauble it would have been worth buying a wreck, keeping it off the road, and insuring that.

How when unemployed for 2 and a half years was i supposed to do that , i ve only got a job last november and finally got back on my feet .

How when unemployed for 2 and a half years was i supposed to do that , i ve only got a job last november and finally got back on my feet .

Don't feed the poltroons.

For the record, I was advising how to contravene company policy, not break any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For the record, I was advising how to contravene company policy, not break any law.

You told him to lie. What happens when he has to make a large claim and they tell him to swing for it becaus he lied and his policy is invalid?

You told him to lie. What happens when he has to make a large claim and they tell him to swing for it becaus he lied and his policy is invalid?

It has nothing to do with legality, it is only a makey uppey company policy. Do you really think they could prove that he has lost his driving safety record?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hi all , im hoping someone may be able to help me.
    Im 35 full clean irish driving license trying to insure my subaru impreza turbo , car has been off the road since september 2009 due to lose of job , i had a full no claims bonus of 9years + but since i ve only been named on my wifes car since 2009 my previous ncb has lapsed .I ve called numerous insurers and they all say the same thing either we wont insure said car or your previous experience does nt count anymore. Does anyone know if northern ireland insurers will insure us down here or a decent broker that will cover me . Im at my wits end trying to find a solution .All help greatly appreciated .

If you where a named driver on your wife's car, that can count towards your NCB.
    You could get a letter confirming that you where a named driver and had no accidents and other insurers will accept that and give you NCB.
    No need to pull anything dodgy here.
    You might have to reconsider the Scooby, insurance poison in your situation, get something a bit more pedestrian at first, you can always buy one later.
    When I got let go from my last job I hadn't had a car insured in my name for nearly 8-9 years, got a letter from the companies insurance and they confirmed I was driving a company vehicle for x amount of years without a claim and I got near full NCB.
    It needn't be a nightmare.

Fair enough. Your NCB has expired and a high performance/group car and no NCB combo will be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It has nothing to do with legality, it is only a makey uppey company policy. Do you really think they could prove that he has lost his driving safety record?

Ummm, yes? Do you think Insurers just accept everything they're told and not check up what's being said? Are you really that naive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Henry is only trying to help you OP. Fact is that your vehicle is high risk and your lack of proof of up to date driving experience on top of your car is your problem. It's unfortunate but also the way Risk Management works.

Advertisement