Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cant get car insurance in this country , please help !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

MugMugs wrote: »
    Ummm, yes? Do you think Insurers just accept everything they're told and not check up what's being said? Are you really that naive?

Check my thanks for the clue. I neither respect nor am willing to be a sheep. Figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Check my thanks for the clue. I neither respect nor am willing to be a sheep. Figure it out.

I don't do cryptic rubbish. If you have a point to make then make it.

If the OP lied and was caught two years down the line he gets his Insurance cancelled. Would you like to know the consequence of that? He's flagged. He has to declare that cancellation to every other insurance company he tries to insure with.

He's finding it tough to get cover at the moment? He'll find it a damm sight harder to get it with a cancellation under his belt.

It's also illegal. It could even be seen as fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

For the record, I was advising how to contravene company policy, not break any law.
    It has nothing to do with legality, it is only a makey uppey company policy. Do you really think they could prove that he has lost his driving safety record?

Banned. You were warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

get your wife and you under might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

go with the €1515 with XS, its cheap enough given the situation and that should go down by a few hundred each year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

scamalert wrote: »
    get your wife and you under might be cheaper.

Just change the position of one word and this sentence becomes something entirely different.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

swerv555 wrote: »
    Just tried xcess direct with a €3000 excess they still want €1515 thats absolute madness , seems like i ll have to put the car in storage at this rate .

That's not absolute madness, any old wreck would cost you €300 with a 50% NCB, so a Micra would cost you (without any NCB) €600. Of course an Impreza Turbo is going to be some multiple of a Micra's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you actually rung around to every broker you can find in the phone book OP?

I found XS Direct to be awful when I was looking for a quote on a 325ci, they quoted me 2000+ with a 3000 excess. Ended up fully comp with Aviva for 1100 with a normal excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I found XS Direct to be awful when I was looking for a quote on a 325ci, they quoted me 2000+ with a 3000 excess. Ended up fully comp with Aviva for 1100 with a normal excess.

XS target drivers with no experience. They dont rate on bonus, so if you have an NCB, you probably wont get a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Ring brokers, some non direct insurers will allow your bonus to be valid for up to 3 yrs without use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is selling the Scooby and buying something more insurable until your NCB is built up again, an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 swerv555

gor insurance with a.r.b for €1215 tpft im goin to take it , anything to get the car back on the road and my ncb built up again .
    Thank you all for your advice and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...it shouldn't be gone if he has a record of being insured on another car, since, really, as he has been insured (albeit as a named driver), so it's not like he vanished off the planet or anything.

My wife is back on the road now on her 'bike, and we had to go back to scratch on her bike NCB - 16yrs of hers expired, too...... :mad:

it would nearly be worth buying a Honda 50 and insuring it. i think my sister + borther in law are doing something along the lines of buying a cheap bike plus insurance to maintain their NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

listermint wrote: »
    Have you tried xsdirect? They should insure you but you will have a huge excess.
    Just got a quote there for the crack 27 male full lucence 1.4l car with 2 yrs ncb, €880 with excess of €3000 haha they can keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

swerv555 wrote: »
    gor insurance with a.r.b for €1215 tpft im goin to take it , anything to get the car back on the road and my ncb built up again .
    Thank you all for your advice and help.

Never heard of ARB, do they take high performance Japanese cars no bother? Might try them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

it would nearly be worth buying a Honda 50 and insuring it. i think my sister + borther in law are doing something along the lines of buying a cheap bike plus insurance to maintain their NCB.

I did similar while I was at university years ago. Went in with 1yrs NCB, came out with 4, on a FIAT 131 that was scrapped on the day I left for college.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Funny enough I rang ARB myself the other day, told me they don't do private policies ? Only company cars and all that. :confused:

Funny enough I rang ARB myself the other day, told me they don't do private policies ? Only company cars and all that. :confused:

Ended up begging a local brokers to help me out and this was the only company he managed to twist their arm .Believe me not impressed with the cost .For someone who has been driving 16 years with no accidents /penalty points or convictions to be penalised for letting my ncb run out , due to no fault of my own (laid off) and spending any penny i had keepin food on the table and paying bills.Someone needs to start a decent car insurance company in this country .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much was it?

How much was it?

read older posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not too bad considering and better than XS.

Not too bad considering and better than XS.

Thinking the exact same thing Havana , i was fighting a losing battle rang something like 40+ independent insurers and brokers over 3 days , no1 issue was lapse of ncb and no2 the infernal words "subaru impreza turbo " was beginning to think give up . Have to face up to the ridiculous rule that if ya cant insure a car under your own name for over 2 years in this country , no matter what previous driving history you have you have to become 17 again with L plates and all that craic ......
    Has to be an easier way around it , like a course you could possibly do to prove you are capable of driving said car and then insure or not.

I know personally i always wanted a scooby from a very early interest in the WRC , that or a Lancia integrale but by the time i could eventually insure one the scooby came first.
    I consider myself an enthusiast not a boy racer , i refused numerous offers to sell car when i was out of work ( and the mrs agreed ) that if i sold my pride and joy for an eighth of what its worth i d go mad and bring her with me !!!
    I think my rants over now , thanks for listening .....:confused:

Advertisement