Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Frontman 212r or a Peavey Bandit 65/75.

Had both and they were alright I guess.

Avoid Marshall MGs at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

oh i know, i had an mg myself, horrible things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

The older model Marshall Valvestate are really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

^^^
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Restrung my Annie and gave it little clean up while the strings were off. It was well worth it - the ebony feels great. I even took off the bridge, albeit marking its position with masking tape, and managed to finish everything without wrecking the intonation. I'm very pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

HELLO! ;)

Definitely going to get myself one of these some day. Been ogling this for months...

z3-q-pb-full-e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Just ordered the components for a Skreddy Lunar Module..Deluxe
    Looking forward to building this one.

Anyone know where I can get a Boss PSA Power Supply in Dublin?

I presume you've tried the usual shops unsuccessfully? Other than that, I don't know.

I've got them (the "wall warts", right?) in Musicmaker and (what was) Musician Inc before.

X Music had them last time i was there.

• Advertisement

I presume you've tried the usual shops unsuccessfully? Other than that, I don't know.

I've got them (the "wall warts", right?) in Musicmaker and (what was) Musician Inc before.

I'm after that particular type as they are easy to fix when I break them unlike every other one I've got, they also last longer. I tried Musicmaker and Guitar Centre was asking on here to save me trying all the rest. They're also really quiet which is handy.

X-music will be my last resort just because it's out of town but cheers for that Wild Turkey.

zafo wrote: »
    I'm after that particular type as they are easy to fix when I break them unlike every other one I've got, they also last longer. I tried .

Yeah, spare fuses a must...

Spare fuses for a 9V power supply?

Spare fuses for a 9V power supply?

Yeah, I had my Boss PS go on me, and it turned out to be the fuse. Can't remember what the fuse was offhand, but I just picked up a couple in Decwells and keep one in my effects case now. If you look at it closely you should see the screw to take the thing apart. Maybe they don't make them so you can access the fuse anymore...

I know the screws, Boss seem to be the only brand that actually has screws rather than just plastic welded together which is the main reason I want another Boss one. Just never come across a blown fuse on one. I'm sure I have a few spares in my bag that'd probably be the right ones.

I know the screws, Boss seem to be the only brand that actually has screws rather than just plastic welded together which is the main reason I want another Boss one. Just never come across a blown fuse on one. I'm sure I have a few spares in my bag that'd probably be the right ones.

Only happened to me once, about 12 years ago, and I still don't know how it happened. Still, no harm in having spares just in case. Makes you look super-prepared in front of other bands at the very least!

Swapped out the 12ax7 in my VHT Special 6, which is a budget handwired champ clone, with a 12au7, and it's ten times better. It's brought the volume down quite a bit, but it stays cleaner and when cranked you get that lovely 'edge of breakup' sound. Perfect pedal base too. Thinking of swapping out the 6v6 for an el34 but I'm not sure.

The one recommendation I'd give anyone who has one or is thinking of buying one is ripping out those ****ty chinese tubes ASAP, I put in a tungsol 12ax7 and EHX 6v6 a week after I got it and the difference was immense.

Need to swap the tubes in my Bugera V22
    I'd do it myself but not sure about Biasing

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Swapped out the 12ax7 in my VHT Special 6, which is a budget handwired champ clone, with a 12au7, and it's ten times better.

Do want.

So cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Having lots of fun with my VHT Special 6 at the moment.

I kept it stock for about six months, but last month I got an upgrade kit from a bloke on e-Bay (I wasn't confident enough to go tinkering on it by myself). Fantastic detailed instructions, about 18 pages and 50 or so photos made it a real simple installation.

The mod I went for brings the amp closer to the Champ wiring. A few caps and the pots are upgraded, the Lo input is sacrificed to allow for bass, treble and volume pots (you don't have to lose the lo i/p but I never use it). There's also a NFB mod but I haven't installed that yet. I have installed a 6L6 type valve and re-biased for that. Also changed the 12ax7 valve. For the boost I installed a switch at the back, next to the foot pedal jack, although the boost is such a jump it's not something you would use mid-song.

I know I'm new to this, and this is my first tube amp, but really loving it at the moment. Great value too.
    I must throw some photos up on the picture thread.

• Advertisement

Nothing worse than getting the missed delivery slip and not having a clue what it was. To make matters worse, they only put the first initial of your first name on it, and of course my ma's name starts with S also. So now I don't have a clue if it's for me or not, and if it is, what the hell is it?

End rant. I should stop buying stuff online.

Maybe it's a mystery Mooer delivery, at least you can get your ma to go collect it even if it is for you.

Speaking of missing deliveries I went to pickup a new scratch plate and screws for my SG from the post office today, should have it back in working order in the next few days. Can't wait! Also sold a few bits I don't need so should have my Sound City working soon too. Now to find the money to re-tube my Peavey Mace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

:D

229450.jpg

:pac:

Samash selling Gibson Les Paul Traditionals for 900 euro at the moment, half the price of Thomann.

Can't collect in store though and I'm off to Florida next month. Just my bad luck.

Deliver to a rented post box perhaps? It is a tremendous deal though. Waltons also have some pretty sweet prices at the moment on Les Pauls and SGs.

Just ordered a mint Fender Blacktop Jaguar for 260 euro from Guitar Center, heading off to Orlando on the 13th so I'll be picking it up then. Early christmas present to myself I guess ;)

Got me a Timmy. For regular price too!

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Got me a Timmy. For regular price too!
    Hoping to be building one over the weekend
    Dont have the money anymore, so its the cheapest option for me,
    about €15 :D
    Finished a Zendrive a few days ago & its a great pedal .

Unfortunately, the idea of me fiddling around with electronics scares me into paying full whack on my pedals and amps, unless I get them second hand or on the cheap, of course.

• Advertisement

There's a guy selling clones of the Timmy on adverts, but at 100 quid they're not much cheaper than the real thing if you manage to get your hands on one.

Advertisement