Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Mine cost €99.

Most of the clones on adverts are almost the same price as the real thing. It boggles the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Quick demo of the Mooer Shimverb, I was just messing around with a chord progression on the jazzmaster. It's nothing fancy, just the J Mascis Jazzmaster>EHX Memory Boy>Mooer Shimverb>VHT Special 6 running through a Harley Benton v30 2x12.

http://soundcloud.com/iamtyrrell/shimverb-and-memory-boy

Still recommending the VHT Special, stetyrrell? A friend of mine is looking for a practice amp and I said he should consider getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Seen a pic on twitter of Dylan Carson unwrapping his new VHT Special 6. I'll be sticking with my Harley Benton Valve Jnr but I do really like those Special 6s. Have you tried bass into one at all?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Still recommending the VHT Special, stetyrrell? A friend of mine is looking for a practice amp and I said he should consider getting one.

Yeah I'm still 100% standing behind it as the best fender champ clone I've played. It desperately needs a tube swap from stock though, I have an EHX 6v6 in the at the moment and a 12au7 to bring down the volume for at home and clean headroom for pedals, it's amazing. 12ax7 gives it more gain and volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

anyone have any experience with this baby? http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_112rc.htm looks cool, anyway!

johnROSS wrote: »
    anyone have any experience with this baby? http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_112rc.htm looks cool, anyway!

I had one, they were alright, wasn't my kind of thing, found it to be very... grainy I suppose, and loose, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

stetyrrell wrote: »
    There's a guy selling clones of the Timmy on adverts, but at 100 quid they're not much cheaper than the real thing if you manage to get your hands on one.

That's Pyr0man isn't it? I have a pedal that he made for me, first class operator so he is.

I already have a Timmy (and a Tim), if not I would have gone for it. The Surf Green may be a reference to a limited edition Timmy that was made in the states, I think there was only 100 of them?

johnROSS wrote: »

I don't know about that but there's a Bugera V22 for sale in Limerick in Castleconnel, the ad is here. Worth checking out, Mick is very approachable.

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/new-bugera-v22-combo/2367864

groovie wrote: »
    That's Pyr0man isn't it? I have a pedal that he made for me, first class operator so he is.

I already have a Timmy (and a Tim), if not I would have gone for it. The Surf Green may be a reference to a limited edition Timmy that was made in the states, I think there was only 100 of them?

I don't for a minute doubt that his pedals are good but when I just got the real thing for €99, €100 for a clone is just too much.

Incidentally, my Timmy arrived today and it is absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

I've no doubt his pedals are great and all, but it's the same price as the real thing. The whole point of a clone tends to be that it's a cheaper, more available version of the real thing, not a copy that he's charging the same price for. The surf green was only a limited paint job issued by Paul Cochran, no changes to the actual pedal.

The pedal that he made for me was a TODD, which is a spec published on runoffgroove in the states.
    It's not a pedal in production as far as I can tell.

I suppose my first impression of clones is that they are for pedals no longer in production. Which isn't the case with the Timmy.

You did very well getting the Timmy for 99€, that's a great score.

Not sure about the surf green but the ones after that batch use a different taper for the treble pot.

Anybody know of some cheap but cheerful humbuckers to replace the neck pickup in a blacktop jaguar? Stock pickup's as muddy as a bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Gfs, Tonerider, Dragonfire, Rose pickups, Irongear, Wilde Bill
    Take your pick
    or a used dimarzio on adverts

Never liked the GFS set i got seemed really cheaply built.
    Rose are handwound in the states, got a fat 50 set for my strat & are very nice, cost about €65 for the set
    Toneriders in my other strat are gorgeous
    Wilde pickups ( Bill Lawrence ) are very reasonable also handwound as well
    got a replacement set for my tele for about €60

I know your after humbuckers but it should be a good basis to get you going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

2 Guitars to re-wire, one bass to re-wire, and set-ups on all of them. Gonna be a fun weekend. :pac:

The new Fender Pawn Shop Bass VIs look pretty awesome, 30" scale, the normal single coils in the neck and middle, and a jazzmaster style humbucker in the bridge. Jazzmaster tremolo also.

Got a message at 2 o'clock saying that my powerplant was out for delivery, so I clocked off early and legged it home. No delivery, and the AnPost website states it as being 'in the depot'. Got the number of the depot and they say it's not there so I can't even collect it. So it'll be Monday now until I get it. Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Is it just me or could this forum easily be called the guitar gear forum?

Not suggesting a name change :P, it just seems like it's 95% discussion about guitars and bass guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Not suggesting a name change :P, it just seems like it's 95% discussion about guitars and bass guitars.

Could almost have a guitar/bass forum itself, but then the instruments forum would be dead.

Anyone notice the price of US Strats on Thomann, €1349

Jaysus..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Could almost have a guitar/bass forum itself, but then the instruments forum would be dead.

Jaysus..........

Have a look at the musicmaker sale list and see if theres one on the list, could be lucky.

Some insane deals on the list has to be said. I'd say the q's will be big enough though.

The instruments forum as it is tends to be dead most of the time, splitting it up intp subcategories for different instruments would makenit a ghost town for the most part.

Jaysus..........

I agree. I don't think it would be a good idea. There's plenty of space for all types of instruments. I don't think classical instruments are being discouraged by all the guitarists - guitars and basses are just more popular it seems.

Any change spec change is always just cover for a significant price increase. I wonder if the new pickups are actually made in the Custom Shop. The pickups which are on the Classic Players guitars are not, although most people infer that they are from the name. Different price point and all but the question remains. Or maybe they bought a new pickup winder. Regardless, it seems arbitrary as they are just as mass produced as the previous pickups were.

Great little free online magazine with some good interviews & reviews.
    You can also get all the previous issues.

http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue15/page/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Great little free online magazine with some good interviews & reviews.
    You can also get all the previous issues.

http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue15/page/1

Warning: This is one of those annoying websites that plays sound when you click on it.

noby wrote: »
    Warning: This is one of those annoying websites that plays sound when you click on it.

If you went past the 1st page you'd realize its not !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'll have a proper look later. It's just websites that hit you with sound straight off is a particular bugbear of mine.

If you went past the 1st page you'd realize its not !

Eh it does play music when you click on it, can't really argue that point, but more importantly have a look at all those unplugged cabs on page 44.

I suppose a wall of unplugged Marshall's does make your presence felt a bit more, even if you are The Rev G.

• Advertisement

Have you seen his Rig rundown? His tech Elwood is great.

Advertisement