Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

http://youtu.be/u6DrxfrbbF8

This one ?

Good watch alright fairly straightforward
    Cant imagine playing 7-34 strings though, He must have a very sensitive touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Yeah must be super light, I found the "every guitar must sound the same" part interesting.

Apart fro the guitars sounding the same which is probably a high tech eq, its a pretty simple setup.

I really want one of those Gretch billy-bo's !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can't imagine using 7s, they'd be razor thin surely? I've a heavy touch too, I can't go lighter than 10's or else I find myself breaking strings near the bridge too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'm amazed they don't fret out at that size. He really must have an amazing tech to be able to pull that off consistently.

• Advertisement

So about 6 or 7 months ago I bought a three pack of D'Addario 10s from Musicmaker, and two of the sets unravelled at the bridge. I thought nothing of it and just replaced the strings with the usual Ernie Balls. So I was on thegearpage and I saw a thread about D'Addarios problems and I posted in it about what happened.

About a month later I got an email from a D'Addario rep asking about what happened etc and would I be willing to try them again, that he'd replace the faulty sets. So I gave him my address and string size, thinking I might just get a pack if I was lucky.

Came home today to find 7 sets of 10s, including one of the nickel sets. Great customer service.

That should keep you going for a while.
    I had that problem as well but now I solder the ends so they cant unwind.

Last time I ordered from Thomann I ordered 15 sets of Martin Darco hybrid strings for about €2.50 a set
    Good as any other strings I've used
    Then I read they were D'addario rebranded

So like the genius that I am, I figured I'd move all my guitars down to the shed while they were still on the rack, to save my self three trips. And of course, my Jaguar slipped and fell out. It's not really noticeable as it's on the lower bout where the input jack is but I was horrified by the thump it made. At least it's mine for a while now, there goes the resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

That´s a real pity, man. I recently got a guitar stand but I´m terrified that they´ll somehow fall out. The reason I bought though was because I was far too lazy to keep opening all the cases every time I wanted to play. So far the risk/laziness ratio has worked in my favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had been thinking of migrating from 5-string active basses back down to 4-string passives after only using 5-strings for about 7 years. This was mainly due to being stuck with a friend's 4-string for a few days and really enjoying it. Also, the reliability of my Yamaha RBX has made me weary of actives for quite some time.

Was driving past XMusic and decided to play a few of what they had. Fell in love with the cheap as chips Fender Jazz Modern Player and ended up buying it on the same day for €529. Will probably be hungry as I approach monthly payday, but I don't regret it for a second.

• Advertisement

Thinking about just ordering some bulk Mogami cable and wiring up some pancake jacks.

I've been using George L's and lately I've been getting nothing but trouble from them.

Never trusted those George Ls or any cable that isn't soldered and I've been thinking I too need to make some nice patch leads for myself even just to have all black cabling on my board. Just need to figure on the last pedal or two on there first.

Got a Ghost Effects Harbinger on it's way to me for some Germanium fuzz goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Slowly coming to the realisation that my favourite guitar is a 300 euro squire strat...can't put the thing down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Slowly coming to the realisation that my favourite guitar is a 300 euro squire strat...can't put the thing down...

I had something like this two days ago, I was making a video for my amps for sale ad and said I better show some single coil goodness.
    Queue me picking up my cheap, broken Japanese body with CS Fat 50's for the first time in months and not putting it down for about two hours.

It also has the adverse affects of making me not want to sell my amp, they just match so well. :(

All that money on the red one and the little purple baby just feels right. AND the intonation is perfect, something that has never been right on the red one.
    8476833388_d080341473_c.jpg
    IMG_3106 by CianRyan, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Has anyone ever bought an instrument from the US? A site like ebay for example. They work out quite good value even with the expensive postage.

Is it recommended?

Has anyone ever bought an instrument from the US? A site like ebay for example. They work out quite good value even with the expensive postage.

Is it recommended?

Mate of mine got a great deal on a Tele from ebay USA, he managed not to get caught out at customs.
    Sent as a gift or something along those likes I think.

It's dodgy though and can cost you a whooole lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Is it recommended?
    I'm after buying a bass from an american company, it's selling for 480 on Thomann, I got it for 450, including case, strap, and postage.
    Just google the model of what you want, and send emails to every company selling them asking if they ship to Ireland. Most don't, but you might get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sent as a gift or something along those likes I think.

It's dodgy though and can cost you a whooole lot more.

Doesn't work. The value of a guitar far exceeds the maximum gift value.

I've bought all but one of my guitars from the States and it does work out cheaper but only if you know how and where to buy.

In general though, if trying to buy a guitar from an established brand with a large networks of dealers, like Fender and Gibson, sellers in the States can't ship worldwide - that's part of their contract, as otherwise they'd poach sales from the manufacturer's European dealers.

If you want to buy a guitar without warranty - effectively making it second hand or 'new - other' - then some will sell overseas. Not that it makes a difference - even if you manage to buy a 'new' Fender from the States the warranty won't be valid, as it says in the text.

Thanks lads, it's not near the price of a guitar handily. It's a mesh drum pad for an electronic kit. 100 dollars or thereabouts second hand.

I too would worry about extra custom charges and especially since the seller is so far away, are you protected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Great vid this, but for Telecasters. Blindfold test Squire v Custom Shop etc.

• Advertisement

Im in agreement with Alan on this one,best €300 I spent also.

My American strat is currently having a few upgrades to keep up with it

I don't know why fender don't put decent set of strings on them in the factory as anyone I've played in a shop doesn't feel right with the dodgy strings flopping all over the place
    But put a set of 10's on it & it outplays half the shop

Ordered 5 metres of Sommer High Spirit and 20 of those Tayda pancake jacks. Came to roughly 25 euro for the lot, I'd a decent Thomann order anyways, I'll be glad to see the back of the George Ls for certain.

I hate selling any of my music gear online, it doesn't matter what you have in the ad or how many times a week you tell other people you don't want any part exchange and that you're simply after cash, some knob will inevitably come along and say, "anytin in my ads?"
    ****ING NO, YOU GOB****E!

I hate selling any of my music gear online, it doesn't matter what you have in the ad or how many times a week you tell other people you don't want any part exchange and that you're simply after cash, some knob will inevitably come along and say, "anytin in my ads?"
    ****ING NO, YOU GOB****E!

You're mainly referring to adverts right?

Example:

*Tries to Sell Gibson Les Paul*

"Trade for my PS3?"

"No, cash only"

"Aww, it's a really good PS3!"

You're mainly referring to adverts right?

Example:

*Tries to Sell Gibson Les Paul*

"Trade for my PS3?"

"No, cash only"

"Aww, it's a really good PS3!"

Exactly, without posting my add I'll copy the comments.
    shto asked a question 14/02/2013 12:00 am (1 week ago):
    Silverface Champ plus the Les Paul in my ads?

CianRyan says 14/02/2013 12:16 am (1 week ago):
    Nice gear but not really my thing, good luck with the sale though, mate.
    Thanks for the interest.

Wired up asked a question 14/02/2013 10:17 pm (1 week ago):
    Hi would you have any intrest in a fender Hot Rod Deluxe as part trade.

CianRyan says 15/02/2013 12:14 am (1 week ago):
    @Wired up Trying to stay away from the big stuff to be honest, man.
    I'm more looking to buy a new car and live without an amp for a while.
    Cheers for the interest though. :)

steveo88man asked a question 15/02/2013 2:22 pm (1 week ago):
    strat in my adds and cash your way?

CianRyan says 15/02/2013 3:14 pm (1 week ago):
    @steveo88man I've already got the two in the video, anymore and I think my girlfriend would leave me.
    Thanks for the offer though, looks nice.

Hawkmoon asked a question 25/02/2013 9:07 pm (about a day ago):
    anything in ads

CianRyan says 25/02/2013 11:02 pm (about a day ago):
    @Hawkmoon Your USA Strat looks lovey but I've got enough of them and I'm after cash. Thanks for the interest though.

If I didn't want a trade for the past week, what makes them think I'll chance my mind now.
    Especially with this in the main text.
    I don't want any trades as I'm saving for a new car.

Why, why, why don't they read? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Why, why, why don't they read? :(

It can be a little annoying, but you have a very tasty item up in fairness, can't really blame fellas for trying...

Did I mention that I have a very nice ESP Ltd FM-1000??? :D

Haven't built anything in a while so just ordered the gear to build a Madbean Kingslayer
    Supposedly a souped up klon Centuar, Im courious to see how this one turns out

Many Klon clone builders were using the ( Sunking ) Klon Madbean pcb & passing them off as their own before he replaced it with the kingslayer

Also ordered the gear to build an Orange Squeezer compressor, an autowah, a Nick Greer Sucker Punch & an Analogman Sunface
    Should keep me busy for a while !

Cool, I have a Sunking board at the house that I must populate at some point.

groovie wrote: »
    It can be a little annoying, but you have a very tasty item up in fairness, can't really blame fellas for trying...

Did I mention that I have a very nice ESP Ltd FM-1000??? :D

No no no no! :D

Haven't had any offers in a few days, just waiting on the next Les Paul and all of their peddle offer to come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Looking to make up my own patch leads for my effects chain. Can anyone recommend a cable that's a good balance between decent quality and affordability?

Advertisement