Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Instruments forum's really dead these days, nothing like what it used to be.

Meanwhile, Fender brought out this bad boy, number one on my shopping list http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi-olympic-white/85156

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I almost bought a Martin two weeks back but ended up with a new car instead.
    Musically there's not a lot happening for me lately so I haven't been too excited about guitars.
    Every time I play I get bored, pretty uninspired right now. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Instruments forum's really dead these days, nothing like what it used to be.

Meanwhile, Fender brought out this bad boy, number one on my shopping list http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi-olympic-white/85156

Jaysus that's a bass guitar, not the electric 6 string.:eek:

Jaysus that's a bass guitar, not the electric 6 string.:eek:

Yep, or with a set up and some lighter strings, a long scale baritone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Music related but off topic, so I hope it qualifies...

I had a brilliant teacher about 20 years ago. He was also a huge support during a very difficult time in my life. I bought a beautiful classical guitar from him which he didnt really want to sell. I gradually wore him down, and agreed to give him first shout at the same price if I ever decided to sell it on. After we went out separate ways, we kept in touch. There'd be a phone call every month or so. Then every couple of months. Then a couple of times a year. Well, ye get the picture...

Anyway, last Friday he came to mind and I thought I'd give him a bell to catch up. I'd changed phones since our last chat and his number had vanished so, knowing I could get his details online, I googled him and, well, what came back was a couple of pages of death notices and obituaries. He'd died suddenly almost two years ago. My first reaction was that I should send him an email and let him know. Somebody had obviously made a daft mistake and it needed fixing....

When I'd recovered from the immediate shock I realised what I was reading and I have to say guys and girls. Don't put it off. Don't lose touch. Things happen.

I still have the guitar. I won't be selling it. Funny thing is, I still really don't feel I own it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Holy crap! That's definitely on my list now too -
    endacl wrote: »
    Music related but off topic, so I hope it qualifies...

I had a brilliant teacher about 20 years ago. He was also a huge support during a very difficult time in my life. I bought a beautiful classical guitar from him which he didnt really want to sell. I gradually wore him down, and agreed to give him first shout at the same price if I ever decided to sell it on. After we went out separate ways, we kept in touch. There'd be a phone call every month or so. Then every couple of months. Then a couple of times a year. Well, ye get the picture...

Anyway, last Friday he came to mind and I thought I'd give him a bell to catch up. I'd changed phones since our last chat and his number had vanished so, knowing I could get his details online, I googled him and, well, what came back was a couple of pages of death notices and obituaries. He'd died suddenly almost two years ago. My first reaction was that I should send him an email and let him know. Somebody had obviously made a daft mistake and it needed fixing....

When I'd recovered from the immediate shock I realised what I was reading and I have to say guys and girls. Don't put it off. Don't lose touch. Things happen.

I still have the guitar. I won't be selling it. Funny thing is, I still really don't feel I own it...

That's a saddening story, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Wise words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I´m getting that Heritage H157 that was on adverts. I don´t need it but then again I don´t need any of my guitars really. I´ve been really curious about Heritages though so it´ll be interesting to finally get my hands on one. Sold my Comanche last week so I won´t be heading any closer to financial ruin!

I still have a couple of G&Ls too so I´ll have an alternative brand thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been hit by GAS for the first time in far too long...want a PRS, something along the lines of a PRS SE Santana...oooooh baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Scratch that...after looking at videos...I think I've been turned off the idea :D

Maybe something P90, always a fan of single coils, but want something a bit different. Perhaps a P90 equipped guitar is what I need.

Scratch that...after looking at videos...I think I've been turned off the idea :D

Maybe something P90, always a fan of single coils, but want something a bit different. Perhaps a P90 equipped guitar is what I need.

Those PRS SE single cuts with P90s always looked nice. Apparently they're really nice too after a set up and fret dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

After years of not playing I'm going back, but going to give it a proper shot this time. Have restrung one of my guitars I've had lying around for a while to be a lefty. This weekend I'm collecting a 1991 American Standard Strat with Gold Lace Sensors after picking up a Vox AC4TV yesterday. I haven't spent this long looking at guitars online since I got my first one a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Would suggest the PRS SE with P90 too Alan. Pretty sure Owen still has one in Some Neck.

zafo wrote: »
    Would suggest the PRS SE with P90 too Alan. Pretty sure Owen still has one in Some Neck.

This one looks like a beaut for €400
    img_975_large.jpg?2078

There's another sunburst one with a single bridge p90 on the website too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Just got word that my new pups will be ready early next week very excited! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I really like the sound of that Squier Bass VI.... good price too! I've been tempted to get a bouzouki recently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Just ordered a Zhangbucker P90 for my Billie Joe junior
    never liked the Gibson h90 it came with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thanks for that post wild turkey! never heard of em , very interesting though! and very reasonable.
    let us know how that works out when you get it!
    Maybe record a before and after clip?
    i dont ask much do i :-)

Ill do my best !

Should take a few weeks to get here
    Getting the time to fit it is the hard bit at the minute
    but I'll definitely report back

Check out Rose pickups also
    Got a set of Rose Robusta fat 50s for my strat
    also a very nice set for about €60

So the Zangbucker P-90 arrived today, luckily I had an hour to spare this evening & Just finished fitting them
    A very hot pickup sounds mid scooped & compressed but cleans up very nicely with the volume control
    Very well built, looks much better built than its Gibson counterpart
    I have only had a few minutes testing it but really like it
    Ran it clean through a Bugera V22 & then through a Lovepedal purple plexi & Klon

After hours of stalking I finally found the postman! So shiny! :D
    Cant wait to get them in tonight

IMAG0378_zps7b30028e.jpg

• Advertisement

All didn't go according to plan (in other words i made a **** up with the wiring!)

Neck P90 is working as it should (and sounding sweet) however no sound from the humbucker.

I've looked over the wiring schematic and everything seems to be attached where it should so i'm slightly confused

Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

Lead free solder can cause problems when wiring up guitars
    Make sure theres lead in it

If its braided gibson type wiring , It can short by touching off parts so pull the wire clear of everything & see if it works

Check the pickup with a multimeter to make sure it's not the problem

Check manufacturers colour codes to make sure you have the right wires connected

Reflow your solder joints to make sure there's no cold joints

sometimes if your not great at soldering you can burn out pots, so check them with a multimeter

If its a whole new harness check the toggle switch to make sure nothing is shorting & connections are being made

Hope this helps !

Cheers wild turkey

Its braided cable on the P90 & 4 conductor insulated on the humbucker.

All wiring looks correct (they guy that wound the pups did the wiring diagram for me)

I was a bit out of practice so my first few joints could be the issue hopefully I just have a cold joint rather than a fecked pot.

The switch shorting will be the first thing I'll check though, It was a tight squeeze getting it into the cavity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Meeting a guy to hopefully pick me up a guitar from adverts tomorrow, cant wait - it's a little like Christmas eve!

Yeah my Simms Watt 100 pretty much just died on me earlier, hadn't used it for a few weeks, fired it up and for 20 minutes it was fine, I start messing around with my pedals and it just shut itself down pretty much. Checked all cables and everything was fine. Power tubes look okay, haven't checked the fuses yet. Typical though.

In the meantime, going to get one of those Gretsch Jim Dandy parlor guitars, deadly little yokes, 24" scale and they sound great for €150.

Musicians Friend has them for €117.99
    Hadn't heard of them before but I want one.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Musicians Friend has them for €117.99
    Hadn't heard of them before but I want one.

Do they ship to Ireland?

I suppose the Christmas presents can wait until another payday then....

Never ordered from them myself so I don't know? Worth a look though at that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Some items can be shipped to Ireland but they ship with UPS, which has its disadvantages regarding tax and 'handling fees'.

• Advertisement

They don't ship the Jim Dandy outside of the US.

It's only 40 quid cheaper before shipping anyways, and I'd be wary of having an acoustic shipped over. I'll probably pick it up this Friday from Musicmaker. If not then the week after for sure.

Advertisement