Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

for that kind of money i would be getting one built for me to my liking exactly!

i'm sure it's excellent but jaysus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

As Zapp mentions there's a thread on talkbass going into detail on it. The general consensus is that you'd get two original ones for that price. Same with Aria's new Cliff Burton signature, whose retail is around 5K. I've an original and unfortunately (for me) they don't sell for that money.

If I did have that money to flash, I wouldn't mind one though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Dord, what's the lovely bass you posted on the Pic thread? :O
    Dord wrote: »
    SGl0LrW.jpg

roast wrote: »
    Dord, what's the lovely bass you posted on the Pic thread? :O

It's a custom shop Aria Pro II SB-1000CB from 2007. Made in Japan. :cool:

It got a bit of a polish, and I took some pictures (like the one posted) as it's going up for sale. :pac: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I'm not even a bassist and I want those 3 Arias in your pic man. Beautiful instruments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hmmm, I'm hankering for a P bass and then I think I'll have every sonic bass covered, what's good these days?

Aria? :pac:

Just kidding. Check out Schecter. The Model T is pretty damn nice.

dd63066c.jpg

What's the budget?

Budget is around £1000 or so. Don't like the early 50s style P Bass. It'd have to be a 57 or later. Gonna go round the music shops here in Glasgow tomorrow and try a few out see what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Looks like I'll be buying a Rickenbacker 660 today. Quite exciting. I just sold my Robbie Krieger SG and want to reinvest the money. Never owned a Ric, though this one has a neck much more like a Gibson so I don't expect it to be too different.

that christmas morning feeling eh ravelleman....:)

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    It's a custom shop Aria Pro II SB-1000CB from 2007. Made in Japan. :cool:

It got a bit of a polish, and I took some pictures (like the one posted) as it's going up for sale. :pac: :p

shame to be letting her on, lovely instrument.

if only i was flush i would be bidding on it for sure!

shame to be letting her on, lovely instrument.

if only i was flush i would be bidding on it for sure!

I've got 3 Arias, not even looking at the other basses I have. Since I restored the '84 SB, it's seeing more use. :cool:
    This one is a beauty though.

:(

I've too many choices. Played a few basses today and I don't know what to do. Loved the Fender American Standard Precision I played, then I tried a Lakland Skyline 44-02 and was blown away. Also really enjoyed the Lakland P I tried. This is hard! I also have my eye on a Stingray BFR on talkbass.

I had a look at Sandbergs but couldn't get my hands on.

I have something else lined up though, keep an eye on the pics thread and see!

EDIT: Check that shizz

Nice bass Zapp. Wasn't expecting that after the talk of a P though! :D

I finally got my jazz rebuild done tonight. It had an Audere preamp which I sold a few years ago. I didn't like it at all. So I stuck an early 60s style stacked knob setup in it. It sounds killer now! While I had the bass torn down I refinished the headstock... keeping my lovely logo. ;) :pac:

Pics in the pics thread...

It is a P! Or at least that's what I tell myself anyways.

The split coil in the neck does the P tone perfectly, that said the two pickups together sound bloody amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

As I was scrolling through adverts I came across an add for a Boss MT2 Metal Zone with bogner / diesel mods
    Having not heard of it before I did a little digging and found it was only a few cap and diode changes so decided it was worth a shot as I have very little time to build pedals at present and was contemplating getting a bogner red for my birthday
    Onto adverts again and snagged a used MT2 for 25 Euro and had all the components to complete the job
    I went with Brian Wampler's mods for this and all in all took about an hour to do

Compared to the original pedal which I thought was just about OK once you fine tuned it this is now a beast
    Very tweakable with as much or little distortion as you like the Eq is very responsive
    I can get nearly any distortion sound from all out scooped metal to nice plexi tones
    much fuller and clearer with great bass response and no muddiness
    Theres a few more mods I can do but will give it some time until I know what I have to tweak

And with what I saved by not buying the Bogner red I bought myself my first bass and bass amp, a Harley Benton hb75 jazz bass and a cheap bass amp to get me going
    Both get very good reviews on Thomann and should be with me next week

I can post the mods if anybody would like to try them for themselves.

I can post the mods if anybody would like to try them for themselves.

that would be very kind of you!

i plan on getting stuck in to an amp build soon, first time, getting a kit from these people
    http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php

should be interesting!

ever built one yourself?

The mods are as follows

C35. remove
    C25 remove
    C34. Replace with .047uf

The above removes nasally mids

D3 replace with red led
    D4. Replace with 1n4001(I used another red led as the wire on 1n4001 was too wide to fit through the PCB hole)

The above makes distortion much fuller , more dynamic

C36 replace with .1 UF which gives a much wider range on The eq

C= capacitor
    D= diode
    R= resistor

I was also planning to put a 2 way 3PDT switch at R41with a 22k and 470 ohm resistor on either side of the switch , this should give more distortion on The 470 side and more of a plexi vibe on The 22 side. This is my own add on and not wamplers

Ive looked at the ampmaker kits before and would love to build an 18w plexi but with building pedals I find I can get whatever tones I want and at low volumes as well, but building an amp is definitely on my to do list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone ever just get too used to running an electric setup through an OD pedal of some sort constantly? And essentially never turning it off? Was just mucking around with pedals and decided to plug straight into my Blues Deluxe...thoroughly enjoying the sweet cleans out of it! And my over driven sound is far from extreme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Picked up a few new toys recently. Squier Jim Root signature Telecaster and a 2000 Squier Stagemaster 7.

11028368_966032086741971_753176464953026557_o.jpg

Hi all,

Not been in here for a while as I feel that when I do frequent instrument forums I end up spending money.

But it's happened anyway. I have a Classic Stingray on order. Happened to be browsing Thomann the other day and saw a colour I've never seen before, Trans Blue, and instantly fell in love. Can't afford it right now so Thomann wasn't an option, so I rang up GAK and they said they can order one in for me and do it for me at the same price as Thomann. 16 weeks to wait!

16 weeks !

I ordered a Les Paul from Thomann last Monday , I know Ill have it tomorrow or Wednesday and its driving me Insane
    Theres no way in hell I could last 16 weeks

I've waited for a Stingray before and it was longer! BUt then I never really liked that Stingray, this better not happen again!

EDIT: And if that wasn't bad enough, I was browsing the Basschat classifieds and saw a USA SUB in the exact same colour as one I sold years ago (and always regretted) for a great price and also in the same city... So I bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Picked up an old Fender Mex strat that has been sitting idle for years in the last week and have been jamming on it. The pickups are fantastic, they're seymour duncan antiquity II which were very expansive when I bought them about 10 years ago!

However it's a guitar that 16 year old me worked on. I did the pickups, replaced the nut (for some unknown reason :rolleyes: ) and butchered it. So the electrics are pretty bad, the nut is attrocious, and what could be a great guitar is majorly flawed. I must look into getting a new nut and a re-wire/new pots. It'd be nice to have it back to playing as well as it sounds!

Advertisement