Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon set up

Options
  • 05-07-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Thinking of starting to spin for salmon on my river when in flood. Its not a big river so was woundering what weight rod and line and would i need braid for the last couple of feet. What would b the best bait and size. I fly fish mostly wit a bit if normal spinning for trout with mepps spinners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

9-10 ft 40grm or 50grm rod
    12 pound mono, good quality
    swivel, 3 ft of flurocarbon
    3-5 size Mepps, plain body or red and yellow. Silver,Copper and spotted blades
    black, red, yellow flying C. 12grm 15grm 20grm. copper, silver blade sizes 2 and 3
    toby 12grm 18grm silver and copper

Thats a set-up that wouldn't go wrong on any river in Ireland or in any condition

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

what would be the best rod and reel set up for price be?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

stylie wrote: »
    9-10 ft 40grm or 50grm rod
    12 pound mono, good quality
    swivel, 3 ft of flurocarbon
    3-5 size Mepps, plain body or red and yellow. Silver,Copper and spotted blades
    black, red, yellow flying C. 12grm 15grm 20grm. copper, silver blade sizes 2 and 3
    toby 12grm 18grm silver and copper

Thats a set-up that wouldn't go wrong on any river in Ireland or in any condition

all the above is good advice, but id would go for a 11' rod .
    although you want to spin in flood, when the salmon bug bites and
    the river drops, you will probably find yourself opening up to other
    methods. an 11' 40-60 grm rod will do you for worming/shrimping
    as well as spinning.
    probably a sin in some fishing circles, but i started of fly fishing for salmon, but soon ditched the fly rod for a bait rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

EastTyrone wrote: »
    what would be the best rod and reel set up for price be?

What my advice would be is to get out there, get fishing with what you have and if you have noting borrow something off a friend, don't go off buying and spending a fortune...

Fishing has gone to the dogs the last couple of years with people and there tackle it really gets on my nerves... Example for you i was spinning a couple of weeks ago and i spent the day trying every sort of spinner out, i hooked a salmon on the laune here in kerry with a beat up mepps 16 gram...

Another example my father told me years ago, there was two guys one night and they wanted to go flyfishing at night but had no flies. They got a brush and took 5 hairs from the end of the brush, tied them to a hook and caught a pile of sea trout...

Get your hand on any rod you can, then go a field and dig some worms and then go fishing a couple of times and if you like it go invest then..

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

danbrosnan wrote: »
    What my advice would be is to get out there, get fishing with what you have and if you have noting borrow something off a friend, don't go off buying and spending a fortune...

Fishing has gone to the dogs the last couple of years with people and there tackle it really gets on my nerves... Example for you i was spinning a couple of weeks ago and i spent the day trying every sort of spinner out, i hooked a salmon on the laune here in kerry with a beat up mepps 16 gram...

Another example my father told me years ago, there was two guys one night and they wanted to go flyfishing at night but had no flies. They got a brush and took 5 hairs from the end of the brush, tied them to a hook and caught a pile of sea trout...

Get your hand on any rod you can, then go a field and dig some worms and then go fishing a couple of times and if you like it go invest then..

I have an old beat up rod with a broken reel (i can only fish with it on the reverse setting as the other one keeps jamming lol) i have been thinking about getting a new rod annd get into salmon fishing but i woudnt fancy catching one on my rod due to the reel :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Shimano Exage is a very good reel that I have used and is about 60-70e. I have a stradic which more than twice the price but nowhere twice as good in fact its a reel with plenty of faults.
    The 2 salmon spinning (10ft 40gm,50gm) rods I use the most came in at under 100e, and there are some very nice rods for 60-70.
    Get a good spool of mono,license and a few flying C's and Mepps and your looking at roughly 200e.
    Thats not a lot of money in any climate when you consider you the potential amount of use they will get down the years. If salmon is not your thing that set up will work fine for light Pollack and Pike fishing, heavy Trout(trolling) and Bass.

Dont skimp too much on the line and reel as a Salmon will test any tackle. As the 3lb Grilse I caught last week could testify, he had a yard of line sticking out of his mouth with a ball of worms in his gut. The line was about 5-6lb breaking strain and a 3lb'r snapped it, but Im sure the wormer will say he was a big fella, 10lb+ at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kayak Guru

Size 4 black and silver or else black and copper.... Cant go wrong with falling water. 12ld line. No braid and snap swivel

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

get your self a shimano baitrunner reel and a fairly decent rod and if you like it invest in beter tackle

Advertisement