Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Spanish students

• 05-07-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

It's that time of year again. They descend on every large regional town.

They're really loud and annoying, and stand outside shops asking you to get them fags in really broken English (they're usually 15 or so).

But then again, they're good for the economy as they seem to be loaded (my sister worked with them).

So Boardsies, has you town been clustered with Spaniards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The ocean race is on in Galway so it's crowded with everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

We get harmless students for the summer, they got all our, and Britain's, drunken louts. Its a fair trade really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

We get harmless students for the summer, they got all our, and Britain's, drunken louts. Its a fair trade really

Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah.
    ****ers in groups of 40 standing on the pavement screaming loudly at each other while everyone else has to walk on the road to get passed.

Is there anything worse than sitting on a bus home after a long hard day, reading your book then suddenly they all ascend upstairs to join you. I had to get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Also, Xabi Alonso was one of those students, and even played GAA! Now look where he is!

We should open up soccer schools where these Spaniards can earn an extra few quid by coaching our junior players!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Also, Xabi Alonso was one of those students, and even played GAA! Now look where he is!

We should open up soccer schools where these Spaniards can earn an extra few quid by coaching our junior players!!! ;)

Most likely he's still asleep still surrounded by coke and hookers..that's where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Slattsy wrote: »

Is there anything worse than sitting on a bus home after a long hard day, reading your book then suddenly they all ascend upstairs to join you. I had to get off.

-AIDS
    -Anal warts
    -The plague
    -Gone off milk

I could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Ha, ha, revenge! Now I can enjoy my summer here in Spain knowing that the little nuisances I used to teach are over there. Sorry folks!

p.s. those students you mentioned aren't mine as I gave my lot a crash course in the last week on how to ask for cigarettes, drugs, etc. Also, the lot going to Cork got some tips on fiends, biors, etc. The lot going to 'town' got schooled up on junkies and how to greet people with 'story'. I couldn't do much for the few going to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    they seem to be loaded

I doubt it, any Spaniard I've known has earned less than their Irish counterpart and is WAAYYY more careful with money. This is generally true of all continentals I find, so, I think Irish people might be a bit careless with money generally which is cool...

My problem with the Spaniards is that I resent people with nice tans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

My problem with their students is that they take over the footpath like it was put there for their sole purpose

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »

-AIDS
    -Anal warts
    -The plague
    -Gone off milk

I could go on.

All the above are avoidable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

They're harmless enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i hate the basterds
    my god i hate them so much

everyday now i get a bus home from work
    theirs always at least 40-60 of them that get on the bus
    and they take over the whole bus
    yesterday it happened again
    they just shout talk, they cant talk normal

happened yesterday and i snapped , shouting racists comments at them telling them to shut the fu*k up
    was never so annoyed in me life

also it takes alot to push my buttons
    id normaly wouldnt say anything
    but 13 days straight of them on the bush shouting in their tick accents and pushing and hitting me "accidently" couldnt take it anymore

it will happen again today when im on the way home
    then the ones on the footpath
    i just push them out of the way
    they dont do anything about it
    sick of them
    fu*k the recession il take it anyday over these bleeding donkeys

I heard they multiply when they get wet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

All the above are avoidable though.

So's getting a different bus...or biking it, or driving. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Senior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Any group is annoying, at least you know these wont be around that long. Unlike the groups of little Irish arseholes which grow into big Irish arsehole and still inhabit the same window ledge outside the local supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They're really loud and annoying, and stand outside shops asking you to get them fags in really broken English (they're usually 15 or so).

But then again, they're good for the economy as they seem to be loaded (my sister worked with them).

Maybe, it's just that their language and dialect appears to be 'loud'?

I made this experience quite a few times, meeting people from a country, whose language I don't understand, and it appears fast, loud, strange to me.

Anyway, maybe those guys are still celebrating the EURO 2012? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I bet some GAA coach said "you wont amount to anything playing that" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Xabi Alonso played GAA with some club in Meath if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

they seem to be loaded

I doubt it, any Spaniard I've known has earned less than their Irish counterpart and is WAAYYY more careful with money. This is generally true of all continentals I find, so, I think Irish people might be a bit careless with money generally which is cool...

I'd say put it down to they don't eat more so than their wise with their money.

**NEWS FLASH**
    macky D's & Pizza Hut to announce profits in the third quarter due to their Irish Franchises expecting the Spaniard student Armada landing on their shores shortly.. :-P

Stayed in Kells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My thought on Spanish students is that i couldnt even begin to imagine if we transported all of our young teenagers to Spain every year. For teenagers as a whole they behave impeccably. I think they tend to come from weathier families so we dont get the riff raff.

Liverpool Champions League Winner Antonio Núnez was also a student over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

If you inserted blacks, travellers etc instead of Spanish teenagers into this, some people here would be banned for racism & rightly so.

Spanish kids come here to study English, the same way we send our kids to the Gaelteacht, I hope those of you with kids making some of these comments have their kids treated with a better attitude than you have towards these kids.

comeraghs wrote: »
    If you inserted blacks, travellers etc instead of Spanish teenagers into this, some people here would be banned for racism & rightly so.

Spanish kids come here to study English, the same way we send our kids to the Gaelteacht, I hope those of you with kids making some of these comments have their kids treated with a better attitude than you have towards these kids.

Meaning if that were racism you'd be racist.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

saiint wrote: »
    i hate the basterds

happened yesterday and i snapped , shouting racists comments at them telling them to shut the fu*k up

but 13 days straight of them on the bush shouting in their tick accents and pushing and hitting me "accidently" couldnt take it anymore

sick of them
    Saint by name, but not....

:D

They're harmless, annoying but harmless. the footpath thing is just there gathering habits, a firm walk through is enough to dispel them.

wonder how the Irish teens feel, with all that tan etc they have. wonder how many muggings they (Spanish) receive?

btw as for the chatter - ever being on a bus full of Irish 13-15 yr olds on hols?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

To be fair to them they have been landing on our shores since 1588 & contributed to the survival of the peripheral bmw & particularly ring of Kerry's gene pool so I do think we owe them a few céad míle fáilte arís agus arís..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

i hate the basterds

sick of them

That's like a poem written by a mental outsider artist. I particularly like the second verse with its repitition of the word bus and the comic final line "they just shout talk, they cant talk normal."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Oh No, they're here ?

Closes curtains, windows.
    Puts in ear plugs

ahhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

they are in training....for the european dole queue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Saint by name, but not....

:D

They're harmless, annoying but harmless. the footpath thing is just there gathering habits, a firm walk through is enough to dispel them.

Is it?
    There was a gaggle of them at the Central Bus station in Cork the other day... sitting in the bus lane.
    Bus wanted to drive through, not one of them even looked up!
    Only once an enraged Bus Eireann employee came running out shouting at them did they start to discuss what could possibly be occurring, asking each other what that fellow was shouting about. Still weren't moving, though.
    Only once the fellow in the uniform pulled one of them up by his backpack did they slowly start to shift. And I'm pretty sure I've seen glaciers moving faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

La gente esta muy loca.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

So basically just like the local 15 year olds then.

tdv123 wrote: »
    So basically just like the local 15 year olds then.

Only if they wear hoodies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

The Spanish Students; A great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement

The Spanish Students; A great bunch of lads.

Spanish Students; Un gran grupo de muchachos

Edit: May not re-translate quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i think slavic languages are louder than the spaniards. the spanish students are grand, leave them alone! i'd prefer them any day over the others thats for sure.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Spanish Students; Un gran grupo de muchachos

Los estudiantes espanoles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

the Japanese, very very cute with the few quid and always last to pay the bills if you're sharing with them. it's like they 'forgot all about it' a cute 'forget'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In town, really loud, annoying, standing outside shops asking for fags, underage.

Are you sure you're just not in Dublin 1 dealing with the local skangers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yeah.
    ****ers in groups of 40 standing on the pavement screaming loudly at each other while everyone else has to walk on the road to get passed.

Which one took your fancy?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Explains the gingerish coloured beard he sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

IrishAm wrote: »
    Explains the gingerish coloured beard he sports.

It's truely a magnificent beard :cool:

How much do you get for hosting one and are any of them 18?

They are annoying but in fairness, groups of ignorant teenagers standing in your way, talking loudly and smacking chewing gum are nothing compared to the groups of Irish and British young people who go to Spain.

i hate the basterds

They are only kids, man. Leave them be. Invest in an iPod and ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Actually, Spanish teenagers are lovely. Loud and congregate in large groups (as do the adults) but they're a civilised and polite bunch generally, believe it or not...at least compared to how myself and my friends were back then (although we weren't the worst). I've taught a fair few teens over here and in a Summer Camp last year and although the camp was a nightmare, they were essentially lovely, well-rounded kids. I think I only had one really cheeky young wan who I couldn't warm to out of 25. And these kids would have been super-dooper rich. But I've taught kids from every social background and always surprised at how comfortable they are with adults and the opposite sex and how polite they are.

And it always surprises me how you never see one absolutely hammered stumbling about. In fairness to them, they're fairly well behaved compared to how we might be in the same position?

Could you imagine if groups of Irish teens swarmed the streets of Spain every year? There'd be carnage!!

It's a pity they're English is so crap that they seem more ignorant than they actually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gara wrote: »
    My problem with their students is that they take over the footpath like it was put there for their sole purpose

then you simply say 'excuse me I want to get by'.
    how would a group of thirty Irish teenagers behave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I can't believe so many people seem to have only recently discovered that teenagers can seem annoying.

But what's so different about Spanish teenagers? They seem louder, but that's the nature of the language. It's the same with Italians. Italian kids sound like they're shouting because it's hard to speak Italian and not sound loud. It's not their fault.

They congregate in large groups. Of course they do. They come here in large groups, often not knowing everyone in the group, and not having much English. Of course they're going to stick together.

They're the same as our teenagers, except that they don't get drunk and generally aren't aggressive.

I don't really see how they merit all the anger they get. like this:
    i hate the basterds

sick of them

Seriously? That was a ridiculous reaction. Your "problem" was basically "there were young Spanish people on the bus." They didn't do anything to you, acted like normal teenagers, yet you shouted racist abuse at them and then took the time to write a poem about your experiences.

I'd love to see the post about you on Boards.es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think another factor is that in Spanish cities they have big plazas where they can mill around at leisure or have a coke and an ice cream outside on a cafe terrace and not get in anyone's way.

Cities in the British Isles aren't really designed for meandering or milling around in, Westmoreland Street or Dame St can be borderline unbearable at given times of the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement