Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Spanish students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I would say generally Spanish young people are are a bit more sophisticated compared to ourselves especially with how they socilaise, dress and don't drink! The loudness would be a small price to pay. When I was in university there even the illegal mass knacker drinking events they had were pretty civilised affairs.

I would say generally Spanish young people are are a bit more sophisticated compared to ourselves especially with how they socilaise, dress and don't drink! The loudness would be a small price to pay. When I was in university there even the illegal mass knacker drinking events they had were pretty civilised affairs.

Exactly. When I lived in Spain, there were regularly almost 1000 students knacker drinking in the local car park and I hardly ever saw fights or violent behaviour. The worst thing they did was leave all their bottles and plastic bags behind. Imagine that in Ireland every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Am I the only one who has never been bothered by Spanish Students? Never been asked to buy fags or anything.
    Sure they stand and talk in groups on the street like any other teenage group does. The fact that they're Spanish does nothing to change how I view them, infact I welcome them more than anything.

RACISTS! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    It's a pity they're English is so crap that they seem more ignorant than they actually are.

Oh, the irony....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The Spanish are just annoying full stop weather there teenagers adults whatever. There all loud mouths. Ive been over there to live and visited enough times to see it first hand.

What always bugged me about Foreigners in general was that if i was to be a loud annoying prick in there country they would let you know quick enough.
    They do it they get away with it.

But they come over here and its not just Spanish its most and act however suits them and we cant and dont say ****.

And whatever anyone said about them being loaded ha theres a reason there scabby *****.

Sitting in pubs or cafes group them all crowed around a one pint or a cup of coffee either using the free wifi or tv or something similar.

I always said the same thing but id love to see what would happen if i waltzed into Spain or similar European country and tried all these things ha!! I know what would happen and it would be done very fecking quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Spanish are just annoying full stop weather there teenagers adults whatever. There all loud mouths. Ive been over there to live and visited enough times to see it first hand.

What always bugged me about Foreigners in general was that if i was to be a loud annoying prick in there country they would let you know quick enough.

But they come over here and its not just Spanish its most and act however suits them and we cant and dont say ****.

And whatever anyone said about them being loaded ha theres a reason there scabby *****.

Sitting in pubs or cafes group them all crowed around a one pint or a cup of coffee either using the free wifi or tv or something similar.

I always said the same thing but id love to see what would happen if i waltzed into Spain or similar European country and tried all these things ha!! I know what would happen and it would be done very fecking quick.

What a great, convenient post.

"All foreigners are terrible."

All the racists should copy this and just post it whenever they want to say something racist.

It covers everything!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to be able to live with them, as you say, they're good for the economy. But last year was the final straw.
    I was getting the bus towards Glasnevin plenty over the summer. This particular bus goes past DCU, where a ton of them were staying. The crowd staying there were the most obnoxious bunch of pricks ever. Not even the adults accompanying them bothered to keep them in check, despite many hints from passengers.
    At one stage one of the dickheads took out a guitar and started playing. On the bus. Others thought it would be fun to pound their hands off the roof of the bus. I nearly put one of them through the window.
    I'd love to know if the reputed anti social behaviour is discussed with them before they come over, like when they sign up for the trip.

I used to be able to live with them, as you say, they're good for the economy. But last year was the final straw.
    I was getting the bus towards Glasnevin plenty over the summer. This particular bus goes past DCU, where a ton of them were staying. The crowd staying there were the most obnoxious bunch of pricks ever. Not even the adults accompanying them bothered to keep them in check, despite many hints from passengers.
    At one stage one of the dickheads took out a guitar and started playing. On the bus. Others thought it would be fun to pound their hands off the roof of the bus. I nearly put one of them through the window.
    I'd love to know if the reputed anti social behaviour is discussed with them before they come over, like when they sign up for the trip.

As an experienced teacher of Spanish students, I can tell you it never comes up as none of our Spanish students have ever been involved in any noteworthy incidents of anti-social behaviour.

A small number of people do mumble about them being loud and having the nerve to take buses, but we don't tell them about that as no-one really cares about these people's complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dd972 wrote: »
    I think another factor is that in Spanish cities they have big plazas where they can mill around at leisure or have a coke and an ice cream outside on a cafe terrace and not get in anyone's way.

Cities in the British Isles aren't really designed for meandering or milling around in, Westmoreland Street or Dame St can be borderline unbearable at given times of the day.

i do not believe Dame street in Dublin is part of the British isles. we were Irish last time I checked, but I digress

• Advertisement

have you ever been on the nitelink?

I guess they crowd into the bus cos they are smart enough to know that the next Dublin bus due in 10 mins may take an hour to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My parents used to host a couple of students every year in the past. I always ended up making great friends with them. The language barrier would be an issue in the beginning, but most improved greatly over the 3 weeks.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i do not believe Dame street in Dublin is part of the British isles. we were Irish last time I checked, but I digress

Check a map.

Check a map.

Just did. we have Britain and then we have Ireland. The latter is independent of the former. maybe you are looking at pre 1922 map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

As long as there's a few fit ones to balance out the ugly ones I'm happy.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    As long as there's a few fit ones to balance out the ugly ones I'm happy.

I think you might prefer not to know the age range of the vast majority of Spanish students who come to Ireland in the summer. :pac:

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Just did. we have Britain and then we have Ireland. The latter is independent of the former. maybe you are looking at pre 1922 map?

No, pretty much any map will tell you that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

You might not want to be part of the British Isles, but you are.

I think you might prefer not to know the age range of the vast majority of Spanish students who come to Ireland in the summer. :pac:

Aah that's where you're wrong, I'm 16 ;)

*shakes fist futilely at young whippersnapper*

*takes some solace in the fact that most of the Spanish kids are still 14 or younger*

*takes some solace in the fact that most of the Spanish kids are still 14 or younger*

Well out here they're all 15-17, and tanned, and fit, and love us red haired tankish irish lads. Score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Well out here they're all 15-17, and tanned, and fit, and love us red haired tankish irish lads. Score.

Yeah...keep telling yourself that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

They should teach some of our lads to play football

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Yeah...keep telling yourself that.

Telling you now man! :D was out pre-drinking with the lads before we went to an 18th on tuesday night and we decided we'd go to the spot the spanish students usually congregate at and have a few tins and they were all over us. It was either the fact that we had alcohol and they didnt (that's definitely what it was) or the fact that we're just too god damn sexy for them to stay away from us. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Don't have any issues with them personally.. They actually seem very well mannered compared to some people in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

P4DDY2K11, have you been grooming spanish teens over the interwebs agian? How many times have I told you not to be grooming them teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Also, Xabi Alonso was one of those students, and even played GAA! Now look where he is!
    So was Torres...
    Flincher wrote: »
    Senior.
    He likes to be addressed as señor ;)

There was a news piece about those kids this evening. They are apparently going to be contributing up to 300 million euros to the exchequer! They're mostly middle-class kids too (I was told this last part by someone who liveed most of their life there).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I'm sure there are a few obnoxious tosspots, but in general i don't see the big problem with them. There was a good atmosphere in the city centre last Sunday, after that Euro victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Awh boo hoo hoo, poor unhappy Boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What a great, convenient post.

"All foreigners are terrible."

All the racists should copy this and just post it whenever they want to say something racist.

It covers everything!!

Ya cause I said ALL didn't I ?

You said you teach Spanish students or something like that so I assume you work for a place that brings them over here to learn English so on. If I'm wrong I'm wrong fair nuff but would make sense why u wouldn't bad mouth them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There was a news piece about those kids this evening. They are apparently going to be contributing up to 300 million euros to the exchequer! They're mostly middle-class kids too (I was told this last part by someone who liveed most of their life there).

I had no idea it was that much money. And a lot of it goes directly to small businesses and host families.

As others have said, I don't think they're any more annoying than any group of teenagers. I bet Irish kids would be far more obnoxious abroad than the Spanish kids are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Handsome Spanish gits! They're about half my age and are better dressed, more tanned, more suave and have nicer looking birds than I'll ever have :eek:

Man, I have an irrational jealousy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Eoin wrote: »
    I had no idea it was that much money. And a lot of it goes directly to small businesses and host families.

As others have said, I don't think they're any more annoying than any group of teenagers. I bet Irish kids would be far more obnoxious abroad than the Spanish kids are here.

for sure. and drunkerer.

the gathering like geese thing is pretty mad mind, but just like geese a bit of shooing does the job, even if it has to be done incessantly. and ignoring traffic, others, seems to be part of the deal.

Still, try shooing a bunch of 40 Irish or British teens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Kids are just kids, regardless of where they are from. They'll always hang out in groups and be loud and annoy some people whether or not they intend to.
    It's really no big deal. You just have to get on with it.
    There's far worse things in the city, for example the junkie I saw with needle marks all over her arm today on the way home drinking a can on the street at 16:30 and shouting her head off.

If they are actually really getting to anyone they need to start smoking some ganja and chill out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Maybe we should have an inquisition?

*Gets coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

When you start to hate the sound of happy teenagers on holiday it's time to shoot yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Handsome Spanish gits! They're about half my age and are better dressed, more tanned, more suave and have nicer looking birds than I'll ever have :eek:

Man, I have an irrational jealousy....

Not irrational at all, just gayness. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Maybe we should have an inquisition?
    *Gets coat

Nobody expects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Mobs of euroteens blocking the footpath in dublin city centre can be irritating. However, rather than getting all bitter about it, try crowdsurfing over them - its tremendous fun and they love it too, and you are on your way in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

The only mildly irritating thing is trying to get by a group of them on a path, managed to get through one of over 80 yesterday waving hands in the air shouting "no me gusta". Does anyone know the Spanish for gtf out of my way? From teaching them a few times I find they're really nice kids interested in the class, the sulky group of Maria's down the back being the only difficulty whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Used to work in a newsagents during the summer a couple of years ago. There'd be about 40 of them in the shop and you'd be lucky if 5 of them actually bought anything. They're just an irritating bunch of wánkers really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

DazMarz wrote: »
    Oh, the irony....

Typo mate. Grammar Nazi alert!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again. They descend on every large regional town.

Do they? I never saw them anywhere bar Dublin.

And even at that I never saw them in any northside suburbs- massive amount of them lodge around Stillorgan, Dundrum, Leopardstown, Dun Laoghaoire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Two meals a day, take them for a walk in the evenings and give them a good grooming once a week and that'll keep them happy.

Wait, are we talking about spaniels or spaniards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

OP, are you jealous that they are not fat and pasty white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

comeraghs wrote: »
    If you inserted blacks, travellers etc instead of Spanish teenagers into this, some people here would be banned for racism & rightly so.

Spanish kids come here to study English, the same way we send our kids to the Gaelteacht, I hope those of you with kids making some of these comments have their kids treated with a better attitude than you have towards these kids.

thats just silly, why would anyone send their kid to the gealteacht to learn spanish :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Icepick wrote: »
    OP, are you jealous that they are not fat and pasty white?

Actually, I find that a lot of Spaniards look fairly similar to Irish people. Just better at tanning, but they are as white as they come.

We're closely related to the Basque folk according to genealogists.

But no, the only thing I'm jealous of is their youth (and I'm only 20)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Actually, I find that a lot of Spaniards look fairly similar to Irish people. Just better at tanning, but they are as white as they come.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The dominant Melanin gene is more prominent in the Med. Many Spaniards and Italians especially are born with tanned skin and this doesn't tend to vary throughout life with or without sun exposure. Their race is still white but it shows the diversity within the white race, different tones and complexions etc.

Namlub wrote: »
    Really?

Two words: Fernando Torres.

Freckly, gangly and pale.

While obviously you get a lot more olive-skinned, brown-haired people in Spain, there's still a fairly strong proportion of people with a typically Irish look to them: lightish brown hair, pale to normal white skin and the odd freckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

They are little bastards

Feel a little sorry for some of them, probably think they're going to some quaint Irish village or town and then end up in Duleek or Drogheda hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conor_Sammon

There's always one slutty Spaniard.. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement