Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Spanish students

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Sitting in pubs or cafes group them all crowed around a one pint or a cup of coffee either using the free wifi or tv or something similar.

I like the idea of them using up the free TV. "Jaysus lads! We only have so much RTE to go around, don't wear it out!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

saiint wrote: »
    theirs always at least 40-60 of them that get on the bus
    and they take over the whole bus
    yesterday it happened again
    they just shout talk, they cant talk normal

You do realize that if you put 40-60 kids on a bus regardless of their nationality, they will make a hell of a noise !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I had to laugh at 20-30 deciding the entrance to River Island was a good place to set up for lunch. Henry st great place for a picnic.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

They're lovely respectful young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some people are talking some serious ****e here. They're loud because "that's the nature of their language"! No, they're loud because they shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is there anything worse than sitting on a bus home after a long hard day, reading your book then suddenly they all ascend upstairs to join you. I had to get off.

How about having 20 pissed up (Irish) 15-year-olds ascending upstairs on your bus, swinging their plastic bags of cheap cider and blaring sh1tty techno or dubstep (or whatever the fück the yoof listen now) from their sh1tty "moboiyal fo-anz" and screaming about how bleedin' deadly it is to be "off me head, wha'", as they head to the beach to ruin it with their scumbaggery, no doubt leaving the cans strewn all over the place for good measure.

Give me Spanish students on my bus over that any day of the week, twice on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Slattsy wrote: »
    I had to get off.

Do you honestly think knocking one out on a bus over some Spanish kids is taking the higher moral ground?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    We're closely related to the Basque folk according to genealogists.
    Nope we're not. It's a very old notion that dies hard, but it turns out to be untrue. Yes we both have a R1b gene, but theirs is a different one. Both are pretty recent in origin too. Neither us nor the Basques are "old" lines on average. The Basques may actually be younger(in that gene anyway), even though their language is very ancient(unrelated to any other indo European language so likely preceding them).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Some people are talking some serious ****e here. They're loud because "that's the nature of their language"! No, they're loud because they shout.

I think they seem louder than they are because we don't understand the language, or, at least, that it's always going to be in a language that's secondary to our main one. Then add the fact that they're teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do you think it's a remarkable coincidence then that so many Italian and Spanish people (regardless of age) come across as loud and exciteable?
    That so many Arabic speakers and Russians come across as gruff and overly-direct?

Languages are about more than just different vocabularies: they're also all about different ways of speaking, including tone and volume. I see this every day.

In general, lots of other languages lack the (at times excessive) politeness of English, both in terms of vocabulary and tone. In many other European languages you wouldn't simperingly say "Could you give me that pen please?"
    You'd say "Give me that pen."

This is why non-English speakers can often seem rude or obnoxious, and it's particularly true of Spanish and Italian speakers, whose languages also tend to be spoken in a staccato, louder-than-English delivery, which only compounds the issue.

We're so used, as English speakers, to responding more to a speaker's tone of voice, rather than their actual words (e.g. sarcasm), that we do the same with non-native speakers, even though tone and volume aren't so important in their languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You forgot that all french people what to do is sex you up.
    Was in Kildare Village yesterday and there was a sh1t load of them. Walking in the first thing I did was put my hand in my pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do you think it's a remarkable coincidence then that so many Italian and Spanish people (regardless of age) come across as loud and exciteable?
    That so many Arabic speakers and Russians come across as gruff and overly-direct?

Languages are about more than just different vocabularies: they're also all about different ways of speaking, including tone and volume. I see this every day.

In general, lots of other languages lack the (at times excessive) politeness of English, both in terms of vocabulary and tone. In many other European languages you wouldn't simperingly say "Could you give me that pen please?"

This is why non-English speakers can often seem rude or obnoxious, and it's particularly true of Spanish and Italian speakers, whose languages also tend to be spoken in a staccato, louder-than-English delivery, which only compounds the issue.

We're so used, as English speakers, to responding more to a speaker's tone of voice, rather than their actual words (e.g. sarcasm), that we do the same with non-native speakers, even though tone and volume aren't so important in their languages.

No, they shout. They definitely shout.

No, they shout. They definitely shout.

As do most teenagers. Have you ever been on a bus with a large group of Irish teenagers? It's the same thing. The majority of them are going to shout to be heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a good point. Its just not considered impolite not to say please & thank you as much as native English speakers do. The Irish tend to cringe at the false sincerity you get from american servers, the same probably goes for some European people over here.

And as for the shouting - that's just what teenagers do. A large group of Irish teenagers will be no less annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Eoin wrote: »
    That's a good point. Its just not considered impolite not to say please & thank you as much as native English speakers do. The Irish tend to cringe at the false sincerity you get from american servers, the same probably goes for some European people over here.

And as for the shouting - that's just what teenagers do. A large group of Irish teenagers will be no less annoying.

Yep, that's the big difference between European and Latin-American Spanish. Latin American is much more polite while in Spain "por favor" (please) would be reserved for only special occasions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I think they're ok. They go home after a certain period. It's the other cnuts that say they never want to leave that ticks me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Spanish students in Derry were famous for sitting around tables in bars in groups of 12 or 15, and buying 3 pints between them over a 3hr period, each getting a wee sip.

Cheapo's.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Regardless of their inherent annoyableness. Some of the Spanish girls are pure weaponry. Most of the Miguels who accompany them are probably used to seeing hot girls all the time. Not me. Dublin is over-run with ugheads.

I look forward to them arriving every year, so I can have a right gawk at those beaut-tee-full ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We could learn a lot from the people of the Iberian peninsula as regards standing up to the useless ***** who are in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Pleasant individuals, we had a lad called Adriano over for a year, 14 and spoke impeccable English, my God was he a good footballer aswell.

As for the buses, I'd much rather them than skangers with socks tucked into their pants and terrible music banging out of their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Groups of teenagers in being loud shocker!! Some people will complain about anything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Regardless of their inherent annoyableness. Some of the Spanish girls are pure weaponry. Most of the Miguels who accompany them are probably used to seeing hot girls all the time. Not me. Dublin is over-run with ugheads.

I look forward to them arriving every year, so I can have a right gawk at those beaut-tee-full ladies.

+1

When I was 15/16 me and my friends had great summers chasing Spanish girls. The majority of them were simply gorgeous.

The new BT broadband ad isn't so far fetched.

Their perceived loudness is just because of the language. Its like when the ads come on during a television programme and you have to turn it down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Has anyone ever had a Spanish student who actually likes football? Every Spanish lad I've talked to has a passing interest at best.

i also don't think the Spanish are as good looking as they're made out to be.

the students don't annoy me, mainly since i've heard them say guapa when i walk up to bus stairs, so they're good in my book :) Its something different that is a sign of summer time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I'd kinda agree. You defo get more extremes with them(ditto for Italians) compared to Irish people. You'll see more pretty ones, but also more "sweet jesus is that catching" with most being average. Irish folks IMHO are more "average", but with less real mutants.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The self-flagellation that goes on is hilarious. Irish kids are grand. Spanish kids aren't any better. Yes, I would rather the Spanish students than a group of junkies on the bus with me. At the same time, I would prefer those Spanish kids to be on the bus than the thieving ***** I've seen on Las Ramblas who'd have the eye out of your head and on eBay quicker than you can say yoink. The comparison is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i do not believe Dame street in Dublin is part of the British isles. we were Irish last time I checked, but I digress

The british isles contains the islands of great britain and ireland. Therefore we are part of the british isles even though we arent part of the uk or britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

look at some of the sh!t that goes over to spain from our country in the summer,
    i'd gladly keep the spanish kids if the keep some of our scum over there:pac:

I just wish they would bring their bulls with them when they come over, that would be a great thing to see in town, scobes being flung around by the bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to really enjoy it when I was a young fella because all of sudden there would be this influx of great looking girls all over the place that you could try and get beat into it. And then if they got too clingy, they had to go home at the end of the summer.

Nowadays, They don't annoy me. They're just kids on holiday having a laugh, like any of us would have done if we had the chance to go to Spain with a mob of mates. Some of the Victor Meldrew posting on here makes me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Last year I was on a bus into town and about 40 of them got on. For the next 15 minutes I was hassled and shouted at for wearing what they perceived to be an Arsenal jersey. I won't lie, it's was fúcking annoying.

Other than that and the fact that they block up the footpaths, they don't seem to cause trouble and are harmless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

To be honest I dont even notice the guys. I just scan the group for them sallow skinned big brown eyed babes. They're welcome around my parts anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

IrishAm wrote: »
    How much do you get for hosting one and are any of them 18?

ECE Language School in Bandon have over 18 year olds ;)

There be an Italian student staying in my gaff in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I heard they multiply when they get wet :eek:

:eek: Durrrty...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

30 of them in MaCDonalds sitting around a glass of water - who says they are loaded ?

they spend about €4 in the month they are here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Underlying this anti-Spanish student mindset, seems to be some sort of assumption the Irish teenagers are somehow quiet. I disagree. I disagree most heartily.

Teenagers are loud. Deal with it. Or you know, become a hermit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

I think they are great and dont bother me at all.
    Rather them than the hundreds of junkies and scrotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Spanish youth >>> Irish youth in terms of behavior,sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

gara wrote: »
    My problem with their students is that they take over the footpath like it was put there for their sole purpose

Oh holy shít...thats awful, you poor soul, imagine being so inconvenienced (for maybe 15 seconds) while you walk around a bunch of students. You really have it hard, you should complain to the guards! Maybe canvas your local politician and have them change the laws and then apply them retrospectively so that students from previous years can be prosecuted if they ever arrive back here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I wish people would get beyond the breathtakingly stupid statements about how little they spend here.

They are here, studying English in Language schools. Someone pays those schools for that service, those schools provide jobs, the teacher/administrator salaries go back into the economy via tax and whatever else the employees spend their money on. These kids stay in some sort of accomodation don't they? They fly in to irish airports don't they ? Use local transport, no? They eat food, either catered or that they buy themselves?

But yeah...they aren't buying enough fckin soft drinks.

Honestly, be glad they are here. If the worst they do is take up some space on a footpath then brilliant !

• Advertisement

the students don't annoy me, mainly since i've heard them say guapa when i walk up to bus stairs

Tell us more about how people find you attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

My problem with their students is that they take over the footpath like it was put there for their sole purpose

I witnessed this about an hour ago. It's like they are playing up to the cliche or something. Wtf is it with spanish and footpath etiquette. Basic consideration wouldn't kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Morlar wrote: »
    I witnessed this about an hour ago. It's like they are playing up to the cliche or something. Wtf is it with spanish teenagers and footpath etiquette. Basic consideration wouldn't kill them.

FYP

The answer is: Teenagers are generally less concerned with the people around them and more self-absorbed than adults are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Has anyone ever had a Spanish student who actually likes football? Every Spanish lad I've talked to has a passing interest at best.

the students don't annoy me, mainly since i've heard them say guapa when i walk up to bus stairs, so they're good in my book :) Its something different that is a sign of summer time
    So they either think you're a girl or they aren't talking about you.

Namlub wrote: »
    So they either think you're a girl or they aren't talking about you.

Yep. They are making insinuations about your orientation. We'll leave it at that !

Maybe they were saying "El Guapo"
    :D
    3 Amigos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Again, how is this different to Irish teenagers.
    For me the difference is if I see a bunch of Spanish teenagers being loud and blocking a path I will simply walk around them, if I see a bunch of Irish teenagers being loud and blocking a path I will cross the street to avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What I find mad is how much money they have. The amount of cash they must bring over here is crazy, for a bunch of 15 year olds. Staggering out of Champion Sports barely able to move under the weight of trainers. When I was 15 I was sent to the Gaeltacht for 3 weeks. With £20. I thought I was loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Having taught English to Spanish kids and teenagers for quite some time now, I can confirm that ....

1. They are loud. ALL Spaniards are (Castellanos, Catalans, Basques and Galegos), because if you go to Spain and then cross into France or Portugal it's like someone turned the volume down.

2. They are way more mature than Irish kids their age.

3. The whole blocking the path thing is an unusual Spanish trait, but not confined to the young. They seem to be completely unaware of it (or the ones I asked anyway). Same happens in house parties in Spain, they don't budge if they see someone approaching with drinks or clearly attempting to get by. You have to ask them ... after which they are fine, but any other nationality would make way if they saw someone attempting to pass them.

4. The Spanish education system is a joke, so they usually have poor English. But remember it's a bunch of youths, abroad with their peers for the first time in their lives. Of course they're going to speak Spanish!

My philosophy is, I'd rather walk past 100 Spanish students with their silly luminous backpacks and inability to get out of the f'in way, than 1 knife-carrying, Budweiser-drinking, tracksuit-clad "Real Dub".

• Advertisement

Having taught English to Spanish kids and teenagers for quite some time now, I can confirm that ....

1. They are loud. ALL Spaniards are (Castellanos, Catalans, Basques and Galegos), because if you go to Spain and then cross into France or Portugal it's like someone turned the volume down.

2. They are way more mature than Irish kids their age.

3. The whole blocking the path thing is an unusual Spanish trait, but not confined to the young. They seem to be completely unaware of it (or the ones I asked anyway). Same happens in house parties in Spain, they don't budge if they see someone approaching with drinks or clearly attempting to get by. You have to ask them ... after which they are fine, but any other nationality would make way if they saw someone attempting to pass them.

4. The Spanish education system is a joke, so they usually have poor English. But remember it's a bunch of youths, abroad with their peers for the first time in their lives. Of course they're going to speak Spanish!

My philosophy is, I'd rather walk past 100 Spanish students with their silly luminous backpacks and inability to get out of the f'in way, than 1 knife-carrying, Budweiser-drinking, tracksuit-clad "Real Dub".

It's funny the difference with the Portuguese, i've spent a few weeks at different stages over the last few years in an office in Lisbon. It's like working in a morgue. Their communication is not as loud and extrovert.

Advertisement