Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Spanish students

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

CJC999 wrote: »
    Oh holy shít...thats awful, you poor soul, imagine being so inconvenienced (for maybe 15 seconds) while you walk around a bunch of students. You really have it hard, you should complain to the guards! Maybe canvas your local politician and have them change the laws and then apply them retrospectively so that students from previous years can be prosecuted if they ever arrive back here again.

let's be fair now - it may be okay for you to walk around them but did you ever think of somebody elderly or more vulnerable than yourself - yes/no.

I have no problem with the Spanish Students - they make me laugh with their nattering but they DO take up buses/footpaths. They probably don't' mean to do it, but they block the roadway for other pedestrians. A little awareness of their space would do them no harm.

In saying that they are not HALF as bad as the idiots who park their cars on a narrow "no parking" footpath close to a doorway, not giving a toss about buggies, wheelchairs. I do have fun with these lot - and have no problem calling the clampers. now THEY are the idiots - (and they're Irish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jojo1989

Spanish students...fooking everywhere! Can't eat a bit of bacon and cabbage without falling over one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Bumping the thread because bored mods close every other one that the OP wants to make a point in.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Ambulatory obstructions aside; every year, in my eyes is a golden opportunity to actually talk to these "Bleedin' Stoodints". They came here to learn a bit of English, so why not indulge them?

They seem to get very lesser known bus routes, and then wander the leafy suburbs at night. Witnessed this many times - you'd be walking down the burbs at night, and then randomly stumble across a big group of them.

It's like they're in search of good drugs from reputable types or something. Don't ask me why they do this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

let's be fair now - it may be okay for you to walk around them but did you ever think of somebody elderly or more vulnerable than yourself - yes/no.

Won't someone please think of the elderly and vulnerable!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I was so p1ssed yesterday when I went into the post office and there was about 20 of them. They were all queuing one-by-one to buy ONE stamp each! Couldn't they have just sent one person up to buy the lot! Not even that, but they refused to hand in their 1 or 2 euro coins and instead counted out all the little coppers to pay for the stamps. F*ckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Spanish people completely lack self-awareness. Shouting at the tops of their voices in public places (particularly busy public transport) to a level that would be considered rude and obnoxious to many nationalities. Blocking footpaths, etc. with people literally stepping onto the road to go around them. It doesn't end there.

It's just a cultural thing though. They don't get that they're being dicks. I've known quite a few Spaniards over the years and they're pretty nice folk. Just a bit thick though most of them. :eek:

Anyway, I'm off before someone starts screaming "RRRRAAAAAAAAACIST" at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Spanish people completely lack self-awareness. Shouting at the tops of their voices in public places (particularly busy public transport) to a level that would be considered rude and obnoxious to many nationalities. Blocking footpaths, etc. with people literally stepping onto the road to go around them. It doesn't end there.

To be fair I don't think this is exclusive to Spanish (young) people. I recently flew back from Italy and there were about 14 Italian teenagers on board. Blocking up the aisle so that staff struggled to get past, and talking across other passengers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do you think it's a remarkable coincidence then that so many Italian and Spanish people (regardless of age) come across as loud and exciteable?
    That so many Arabic speakers and Russians come across as gruff and overly-direct?

Languages are about more than just different vocabularies: they're also all about different ways of speaking, including tone and volume. I see this every day.

In general, lots of other languages lack the (at times excessive) politeness of English, both in terms of vocabulary and tone. In many other European languages you wouldn't simperingly say "Could you give me that pen please?"
    You'd say "Give me that pen."

This is why non-English speakers can often seem rude or obnoxious, and it's particularly true of Spanish and Italian speakers, whose languages also tend to be spoken in a staccato, louder-than-English delivery, which only compounds the issue.

We're so used, as English speakers, to responding more to a speaker's tone of voice, rather than their actual words (e.g. sarcasm), that we do the same with non-native speakers, even though tone and volume aren't so important in their languages.

Maybe this explains why the Nigerian taximen in Ireland seem agressive, demanding the fare and them shouting into their mobile phones

Or why that politician in Kildare got tired of their aggressive nature and refused to deal with them

Doesn't excuse it though
    You're in Ireland now and have to say sorry for everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

All the local kids have left us here to deal with the drunken antics of Irish and Brits who are double their age with half of their sense

Here in Spain every municipality have facilities for teenagers to pass their time, There are football pitches, swimming pools, theatres, parks, skate parks and much more all over the place, so in a country full of Spanish teenagers we don't have groups hanging around like that with nothing to do.
    This is a reflection on successive Irish governments and their failure to provide facilities throughout the country. Probably also goes some way towards explaining why Spain can produce so many top sports people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

8 years ago when I was 16 my family got a Spanish student for 4 weeks. She was 15 and was from the Basque region - I was smitten as soon as I saw her. Anyway after the first week we started flirting more and more and she would leave notes under my pillow.
    Eventually one evening when I was playing San Andreas on the Playstation and she came into my room. It wasn't long before we were kissing and afraid of being caught by my parents I told her to come back to my room that night when everyone was asleep. At about two o clock she crept back into my room and we started kissing and undressing each other - she was beautiful! We didnt have sex but just laid there until my mother burst into the room!!!
    I was mortified and begged her not to tell Dad.
    As the girl only had a week left before she returned to Spain Mom said I was to stay welll clear of her.
    After she returned to Spain we continued to trade texts for a few months but then she stopped out of the blue and havent heard from her since.

Have tried looking her up on Facebook but to no avail.

Everytime I see a group of Spanish students I automaticaly think of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

hupskip wrote: »
    8 years ago when I was 16 my family got a Spanish student for 4 weeks. She was 15 and was from the Basque region - I was smitten as soon as I saw her. Anyway after the first week we started flirting more and more and she would leave notes under my pillow.
    Eventually one evening when I was playing San Andreas on the Playstation and she came into my room. It wasn't long before we were kissing and afraid of being caught by my parents I told her to come back to my room that night when everyone was asleep. At about two o clock she crept back into my room and we started kissing and undressing each other - she was beautiful! We didnt have sex but just laid there until my mother burst into the room!!!
    I was mortified and begged her not to tell Dad.
    As the girl only had a week left before she returned to Spain Mom said I was to stay welll clear of her.
    After she returned to Spain we continued to trade texts for a few months but then she stopped out of the blue and havent heard from her since.

Have tried looking her up on Facebook but to no avail.

Everytime I see a group of Spanish students I automaticaly think of her.

Weird post is weird. But well done/hard luck etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

They do no harm. Compare them to Irish or English kids who emigrate en masse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Annoying? Yes
    Worse than a group of people called 'Anto'? No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anything more annoying? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Spanish teens annoying?

Compared to Irish teens/twentysomethings at the SHM gig?

Compared to the drunken Irish retards taking over squares in Poland and littering the place with empties and pissing all over the place?

Compared to your average Irish dickhead in the Canaries or whatever other ghetto they head to during the summer?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Spanish teens annoying?

Compared to Irish teens/twentysomethings everywhere?

Compared to the drunken Irish retards taking over squares in Ireland?

Compared to your average Irish dickhead in Ireland?

You were too specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

You know, my first thought when I see all these Spanish kids is...there are just so many of them. They're everywhere, and what's more, that's just the tip of the iceberg - from what I gather, they've spread all over Ireland. Why is it specifically Spanish people we attract, as opposed to say, Italians, Portuguese, etc.? These questions may never be answered, but I would say one thing for certain - if it weren't for all these Spanish kids coming over here on holidays, our economy would be properly bankrupt.

I think there's a market there for getting Mediterranean teens visiting this little island on holidays. Who knows, we mightn't even need the IMF if we tap into the whole scene?

Spanish teens annoying?

Compared to the drunken Irish retards taking over squares in Poland and littering the place with empties and pissing all over the place?

Compared to your average Irish dickhead in the Canaries or whatever other ghetto they head to during the summer?

The Irish in Poland were well liked. There's a form of Irishman to whom the idea of their fellow countrymen having fun is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Saw this on Facebook earlier on: A photo of a carpark with buses full of Spanish students and a local's car which they pallet wrapped and threw food over. At least that's what it says.

277800_3457747649409_971119977_o.jpg

• Advertisement

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Saw this on Facebook earlier on: A photo of a carpark with buses full of Spanish students and a local's car which they pallet wrapped and threw food over. At least that's what it says.

277800_3457747649409_971119977_o.jpg

They're not even looking at the car. They are waiting for a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lisandro wrote: »
    You know, my first thought when I see all these Spanish kids is...there are just so many of them. They're everywhere, and what's more, that's just the tip of the iceberg - from what I gather, they've spread all over Ireland. Why is it specifically Spanish people we attract, as opposed to say, Italians, Portuguese, etc.? These questions may never be answered, but I would say one thing for certain - if it weren't for all these Spanish kids coming over here on holidays, our economy would be properly bankrupt.

I think there's a market there for getting Mediterranean teens visiting this little island on holidays. Who knows, we mightn't even need the IMF if we tap into the whole scene?

They don't come for "holidays" ,its supposedly to learn english in summer schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

They geat a grant to come learn English ma ybe the Spanish government will need to cut it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

Teenagers are loud and annoying no matter what country they come from.

Maybe they did it after they came out of the shops and got bored while waiting for their buses? There's no clear evidence as to whether it was the Spanish students who did it or whether they're even Spanish though, just what the photo's description said. Apparently it was a friend's colleague's car.

Maybe they did it after they came out of the shops and got bored while waiting for their buses? There's no clear evidence as to whether it was the Spanish students who did it or whether they're even Spanish though, just what the photo's description said. Apparently it was a friend's colleague's car.

I'd say the guy taking the photo did it. What you would be looking for in the perpetrators here is access to the substances used - there's a bottle of red sauce of some kind on the wall, but not near the students, some evidence of effort, and some evidence of the materials involved getting on their clothing. They don't look floury.

Owen_S wrote: »
    Annoying? Yes
    Worse than a group of people called 'Anto'? No

Why is everyone comparing them to skangers, as if these are the only alternatives? Of course the spanish students are preferable, that's not the point and it doesn't make them less irritating.

Furthermore the skangers don't tend to congregate in groups of 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

They're Spanish. They all wear those stupid orange bags!

Was on the bus with my sister the other day and they started taking pictures of us...might be to do with the fact that we're twins but it was so obvious what they were doing and really f*cking creepy. Can't stand them. :mad:

Say what you want about "teenagers everywhere" but being honest I have never been hassled by teenagers in any country as much as those dicks, and I wouldnt put it down purely to me being 17. When I was 14 they'd spit at my friends, and last year they got on my bus pretending they didn't know they couldn't pay with notes before opening their coin-filled wallets and laughing. At least they're helping the economy. :rolleyes:

60 Irish students on tour would be worse.

/gets coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I seriously doubt those Spanish kids in the picture shrink-wrapped the car. The ones with the orange bags (can't remember the name of the group of the top of my head: might be EAS) tend to be fairly young and not into such antics.

They're also clearly getting on the bus, so their group leaders would've been with them, and in addition, they seem pretty calm and clean, not what you'd expect from people who'd just committed that act.

They might have done it, but I'd say it's unlikely.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Say what you want about "teenagers everywhere" but being honest I have never been hassled by teenagers in any country as much as those dicks, and I wouldnt put it down purely to me being 17. When I was 14 they'd spit at my friends, and last year they got on my bus pretending they didn't know they couldn't pay with notes before opening their coin-filled wallets and laughing. At least they're helping the economy. :rolleyes:

I said nothing about teenagers being everywhere! :D

I seriously doubt those Spanish kids in the picture shrink-wrapped the car. The ones with the orange bags (can't remember the name of the group of the top of my head: might be EAS) tend to be fairly young and not into such antics.

They're also clearly getting on the bus, so their group leaders would've been with them, and in addition, they seem pretty calm and clean, not what you'd expect from people who'd just committed that act.

They might have done it, but I'd say it's unlikely.

I know the guy who shared the photo, and assuming it's his, he's not the kind of person who'd do that to a friend or colleague's property. Because I know him quite well, I highly doubt it was him like DH said.

Since I didn't see any of it happen, I can't say it was those students, but they are near enough to the car and in a large group - one person messing up the car like that would take much longer than in their numbers. Safe to say that anyone who saw their car in that state with a large group of teenagers standing just a few feet away from it would obviously think it was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

thomasj wrote: »
    Anything more annoying? :pac:

Oh God, great to see that again, one of the funniest scenes of the whole series :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Spanish teens annoying?

I know several who were at the SHW gig and they were decent people, not everyone there was a scumbag.

Talk to anyone from poznan about what they thought of the Irish fans, they loved us. The mayor of poznan was even trying to organise a friendly between poland and ireland just to get the irish fans back for a few days.

Im not sure how you came to the conclusion that everyone who goes to the canaries is a dickhead.

Spanish students can be quite annoying to be fair, they are extremely loud and block the footpaths. Although none have ever asked me to buy them fags. Galway is always full of them around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

They have never caused me problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I said nothing about teenagers being everywhere! :D
    Well for one thing that part of my post wasn't aimed at your post, and I was referring to the generalisations ye fecker. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Theyre annoying yes but pretty harmless overall. I snapped at them once years ago when they were all sitting on the ground on a packed train but thats about it... See what our gang are like in spain when the leaving cert results come out....

Also they seemed loaded....go down grafton st any day at the minute and they're everywhere with shopping bags. let them spend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I know the guy who shared the photo, and assuming it's his, he's not the kind of person who'd do that to a friend or colleague's property. Because I know him quite well, I highly doubt it was him like DH said.

Since I didn't see any of it happen, I can't say it was those students, but they are near enough to the car and in a large group - one person messing up the car like that would take much longer than in their numbers. Safe to say that anyone who saw their car in that state with a large group of teenagers standing just a few feet away from it would obviously think it was them.

Like quite a few people have already said, it is unlikely that that group of people did that to the car.

- It's a mixture of children and adults, if the children were doing that then the adults would hardly sit back and do nothing. Even if the adults arrived after the fact, they'd know the children did it and ask them to clean up.

-There's no evidence of flour/cream on the kid's clothes or leading from the car back to where they are standing.

-They are not paying the car any attention or showing any signs of wrongdoing.

It's too late to remove the photo-link and your post but I'd suggest in future that you make sure you have more substantial evidence before pointing the finger of blame.

Vita nova wrote: »
    It's too late to remove the photo-link and your post but I'd suggest in future that you make sure you have more substantial evidence before pointing the finger of blame.

I never planned on removing the link or the post and I'm not and can't point the finger at anyone in the photo since I wasn't there to see any of them do it. For all I know it could have been a member of my own family. Nor am I looking to cause an argument over this.

All I posted was the photo shared and in my own words him blaming the students. I wasn't blaming anyone. All I was saying was that any owner who came out and found their car in that state with a group of teenagers standing beside it whether they covered in powder or not or whether they were facing the car or not might naturally think it was them before thinking of anyone else.

I never planned on removing the link or the post and I'm not and can't point the finger at anyone in the photo since I wasn't there to see any of them do it. For all I know it could have been a member of my own family. Nor am I looking to cause an argument over this.

All I posted was the photo shared and in my own words him blaming the students. I wasn't blaming anyone. All I was saying was that any owner who came out and found their car in that state with a group of teenagers standing beside it whether they covered in powder or not or whether they were facing the car or not might naturally think it was them before thinking of anyone else.

No, you took an assumption a mate of yours mate (probably incorrect) and spread it on the Internet. How would you like it if someone took a photo of you from Facebook, standing next to a window which happened to be broken already and posted it here accusing you of damaging someone's property, with absolutely no evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

With the money they're bringing into the country they can do what they like to be honest.

I teach in a language school and have to bring them on tours, so I know them better than most.

The vast majority are very nice, friendly kids. They come here with an actual interest in learning, while also keen to have a great time, which is normal considering it's their first time away from their parents for many.

There is the odd bad apple thrown into the mix.

For example, where I'm teaching a couple were caught stealing in Penneys, while I saw another take money from the charity fountain in the Storehouse.

They are also incredibly slow and lazy, which is what makes them give the impression of blocking pedestrians. There is nothing more annoying than trying to get a group of 60 of them to walk through town at anything quicker than a snail's pace, but this is true of most big groups.

However these things all pale into insignificance when we look at the figures.

In the place I teach, each kid pays 600 euro for a week's stay. This money goes to the owner, the teachers, the school that stages the camp, the various tourist attractions they visit and the host families. It's fair to say nearly all of this goes back into the Irish economy.

On top of this, as has been mentioned above, they spend a lot of money shopping. They tend to come from rich families and love nothing more than wasting money in Carrolls or the Guinness shop.

I think each kid easily spends an extra 200 euro on top of the 600 they pay for the week, so they are basically putting 800 euro straight into the Irish economy. In my school there are 100 kids, so one place alone is contributing 80,000 a week. Multiply this by all the summer language schools across the country and we have a nice chunk of change.

Next time you see a little Pablo or Jose (or any non-Spaniard, by no means are they just Spanish, there are loads of Italians and French too) don't think of them as the annoying kid with a loud voice, think of them as a little ball of money that's keeping the country going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

carlop wrote: »

In the place I teach, each kid pays 600 euro for a week's stay. This money goes to the owner, the teachers, the school that stages the camp, the various tourist attractions they visit and the host families. It's fair to say nearly all of this goes back into the Irish economy.

On top of this, as has been mentioned above, they spend a lot of money shopping. They tend to come from rich families and love nothing more than wasting money in Carrolls or the Guinness shop.

I think each kid easily spends an extra 200 euro on top of the 600 they pay for the week, so they are basically putting 800 euro straight into the Irish economy. In my school there are 100 kids, so one place alone is contributing 80,000 a week. Multiply this by all the summer language schools across the country and we have a nice chunk of change.

Next time you see a little Pablo or Jose (or any non-Spaniard, by no means are they just Spanish, there are loads of Italians and French too) don't think of them as the annoying kid with a loud voice, think of them as a little ball of money that's keeping the country going.

It would be interesting to see these figures actually worked out for the entire English language industry here. It might just change the attitudes of some negative people

Advertisement