Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Marathon - Training Schedule

• 05-07-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All,

I only took up running last year in which i completed the 5 mile, 10 mile and half marathon which i was delighted about and thoroughly enjoyed. This year i have set my sights on the Dublin marathon. I have run a 10k only this year and i'm starting my training on Monday 9th July.

Really looking forward to the challenge which will be tough but i can definitely achieve it!

I will be posting my training up on this thread and see how i'm getting on.

First week target - 23 miles

Here goes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Started my first training week for the marathon.

Monday - 3 Miles, struggled a small bit at the start but enjoyed it after that!
    Tuesday - 4 Miles, thoroughly enjoyed it, could have ran another 2-3 miles but stopped at the 4 miles and walked home.

Back to the 3 miles this evening.

For all you experienced runners, the programme i am working off only allows one day of rest. Do you recommend more days rest or is one enough?

Just from past running, resting for 2-3 days, i was brand new and ready to go.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Moggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Started my first training week for the marathon.

Monday - 3 Miles, struggled a small bit at the start but enjoyed it after that!
    Tuesday - 4 Miles, thoroughly enjoyed it, could have ran another 2-3 miles but stopped at the 4 miles and walked home.

Back to the 3 miles this evening.

For all you experienced runners, the programme i am working off only allows one day of rest. Do you recommend more days rest or is one enough?

Just from past running, resting for 2-3 days, i was brand new and ready to go.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Moggie

I'd say it's a case of "it depends". I saw great improvements at all distances by upping my mileage last year, I did this by running more frequently 5 or 6 times per week vs 3 or 4. But not everyone can do this, particularly when you're starting off. You need to watch out for any niggles that may show up with increasing demands on the legs.

You might get more responses if you pose this as a question in the main forum.

Best of luck with the marathon, I did Dublin last year as my first. I loved it, once it was over!

I thin your right, i'll see how it goes. If i feel i need a rest i will take it to our body to recover as i'm certainly not used to running 6 days per week.

Well done on your marathon last year.

Did you do anything else bar running e.g. swimming, cycling etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I thin your right, i'll see how it goes. If i feel i need a rest i will take it to our body to recover as i'm certainly not used to running 6 days per week.

Well done on your marathon last year.

Did you do anything else bar running e.g. swimming, cycling etc??

I did Gaelforce in August last year so I was cycling as well as running, once that was over I concentrated on running up until the Marathon. I basically worked off Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon Plan with extra cycling up until Gaelforce and then did the Dublin Half Marathon, after that I jumped into the Novice 1 Marathon Plan.

From reading the boards posts i hear alot about recovery runs. My training schedule does not mention anything about recovery runs, should i be doing them the day after a long run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Have a look at the Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread and ask your questions there. It is aimed at helping novices along towards running DCM 2012. There are a number of experienced marathoners who monitor that thread and will help you out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056619234

Will do, thanks.

Day 3 of my marathon training schedule.

3 mile run, really enjoyable and reminded me why i love this hobby...

After reading lots of posts yesterday in relation to marathon running, one of the main points i found, is to run alot slower than i was currently running at. Here is the difference:

Mon 9th July - 3 miles 26.26 minutes @ 8.47 min/mile
    Tues 10th July - 4 miles 35.03 minutes @ 8.45 min/mile
    Wed 11th July - 3 miles 29.22 minutes @ 9.39 min/mile

Big difference, in fact, afterwards i was thinking should i be going slower but we'll see how i go tonight.

My schedule tonight is 4m easy with a few strides in the middle. Looking forward to it now.

I know this is my first week but i am loving this at the moment, we'll see how i am when i get to 16 weeks......

Day four of marathon training and once again a very enjoyable experience! The advice i received re running at a slower pace has made an unbelievable difference.

Thurs 12th July - 4 miles 41.42 minutes @ 10.23 min/mile

Tonight's run included some strides in between which felt good.

Started eating very healthily this week also which i feel is also making a difference.

Rest day tomorrow with a 5 mile run on Saturday.

Day 6 of my first marathon training schedule.

After my rest day yesterday, today was my first 5 mile run. I went swimming in the morning with my 2 year old daughter then completed my 5 mile run. My times are a little out as there was a 4 minute conversation for work purposes.

Fri 13th July - Rest Day
    Sat 14th July - 5 miles 56.45(technically 52.45) @ 11.19 min/mile

Really enjoyed my run again, running slowly has really increased my enjoyment for running ten fold...4 mile run tomorrow will complete my first week.

• Advertisement

Finished my first week marathon training - 23 miles in total finished, only 15 weeks to go!!

Fri 13th July - Rest DaySat 14th July - 5 miles 56.45(technically 52.45) @ 11.19 min/mile
    Sun 15th July - 4 miles 39.20 @ 9.47 min/mile

From mile 2-3 i ran comfortably at a quicker pace and slowed it down for the final mile.

For my second weeks training schedule I've to complete the same as above, with the Fingal 10k on Sunday. I think I'll take my rest day on Saturday instead of Friday to have the rest day before the race. I'm hoping to beat my last time of 56.02. Also for next week I'm going to try and run slower again than i havebeen.Moggie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Finished my first week marathon training - 23 miles in total finished, only 15 weeks to go!!

Fri 13th July - Rest DaySat 14th July - 5 miles 56.45(technically 52.45) @ 11.19 min/mile

From mile 2-3 i ran comfortably at a quicker pace and slowed it down for the final mile.

For my second weeks training schedule I've to complete the same as above, with the Fingal 10k on Sunday. I think I'll take my rest day on Saturday instead of Friday to have the rest day before the race. I'm hoping to beat my last time of 56.02. Also for next week I'm going to try and run slower again than i havebeen.Moggie

Hi,
    Good luck with your training for DCM. I did my first last year without following any real plan as such, more a mish-mash of different plans and ran to "feel" as opposed to proper paced runs so hoping that works out better for me this year. I'm just curious though , what plan are you following?

i'm following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 and this has me running 5 days a week whereas you seem to be doing 6 days which seems a lot for first time marathoner.

RedRunner wrote: »

Hi,
    Good luck with your training for DCM. I did my first last year without following any real plan as such, more a mish-mash of different plans and ran to "feel" as opposed to proper paced runs so hoping that works out better for me this year. I'm just curious though , what plan are you following?

i'm following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 and this has me running 5 days a week whereas you seem to be doing 6 days which seems a lot for first time marathoner.
    Hi,

I am following a schedule from the dublin city marathon website. This schedule will get me a time of 4 hours to 4:45 hrs. My goal is below 4 hours though. I have looked at the Hal higdon and it's quite similar but one day less. I am going to try and stick with this schedule as much as I can.

Hi,

I am following a schedule from the dublin city marathon website. This schedule will get me a time of 4 hours to 4:45 hrs. My goal is below 4 hours though. I have looked at the Hal higdon and it's quite similar but one day less. I am going to try and stick with this schedule as much as I can.

Best of luck with it,I hope it goes well for you. My goal is also 3:59:59:) .I ran it in 4:45 last year but had to walk a fair bit of last 10k.:(

Best of luck with it,I hope it goes well for you. My goal is also 3:59:59:) .I ran it in 4:45 last year but had to walk a fair bit of last 10k.:(

Best of luck to you too. Any tips from last years race?

Back from my 3 mile run this evening which i originally thought i would run at an easy pace to ease myself into my 2nd week of marathon training but as i got closer to a hill which is part of the Fingal 10k this Sunday i thought lets see how quickly i can do this - mistake!

I didn't enjoy the run at all, ran quite quickly (for me) for the first 4kms then the fifth i was absolutely wrecked!

Here are my times:

Monday 16th July - 3.1 miles - 29.41 @9.34 min/mile

I ran the first km @ 6.09 min/km
    2nd@ 5.13 min/km
    3rd @ 4.46 min/km
    4th @ 5.00 min/km
    5th @ 8.30 min/km

Back to the slow steady run of 4 miles tomorrow...

Back from my 3 mile run this evening which i originally thought i would run at an easy pace to ease myself into my 2nd week of marathon training but as i got closer to a hill which is part of the Fingal 10k this Sunday i thought lets see how quickly i can do this - mistake!

I didn't enjoy the run at all, ran quite quickly (for me) for the first 4kms then the fifth i was absolutely wrecked!

Here are my times:

Monday 16th July - 3.1 miles - 29.41 @9.34 min/mile

I ran the first km @ 6.09 min/km
    2nd@ 5.13 min/km
    3rd @ 4.46 min/km
    4th @ 5.00 min/km
    5th @ 8.30 min/km

Back to the slow steady run of 4 miles tomorrow...
    I had a great 4 mile run this evening, I ran at my own pace that I was comfortable with.

Tuesday 17th July - 4 miles - 37.41 @ 9.23 min/mile

If I stick to this pace for the fingal 10k run on Sunday I'll beat my PB.

Beautiful evening out also, really enjoyable!

Best of luck to you too. Any tips from last years race?

Any tips? Mmmmm let me see... My first tip would be to make sure you put in the training. The distance is not to be underestimated.

Second tip....forget about times...the first marathon is to be enjoyed and savour the great support from the crowds..they really help you along in the last stretch.

Third tip..keep an eye on mentored novices thread..the experienced guys/girls on Boards have lots of really good advice to give

I had a great 4 mile run this evening, I ran at my own pace that I was comfortable with.

Tuesday 17th July - 4 miles - 37.41 @ 9.23 min/mile

If I stick to this pace for the fingal 10k run on Sunday I'll beat my PB.

Beautiful evening out also, really enjoyable!

Good luck on Sunday..I'll be there too..

Any tips? Mmmmm let me see... My first tip would be to make sure you put in the training. The distance is not to be underestimated.

Second tip....forget about times...the first marathon is to be enjoyed and savour the great support from the crowds..they really help you along in the last stretch.

Third tip..keep an eye on mentored novices thread..the experienced guys/girls on Boards have lots of really good advice to give

Thanks. Good luck on Sunday!

• Advertisement

Another really enjoyable 3 miles. It certainly helps and actually improves your times if you run at a steady pace rather than a quick burst at the start and your wrecked towards the end of the run.

Wednesday 18th July - 3.05 miles - 27.18 minutes @8.57 min/mile

Now if i could keep that pace for another 23.2 miles in October I'd be very very happy!!

Wore my new compression shorts this evening along with my iphone pouch/holder. Felt like a real runner...

4 miles this evening which will be done quite late as i have a meeting until 8.45pm. Thank god for the bright evenings.

Also, good tip re the cold shower, really has helped my muscle recovery.

Thursday 19th July

Enjoyable 4 mile run, later than usual.

4.03 miles - 38.23 minutes @ 9.32 min/mile

Feeling really good at the moment, healthy food, running is enjoyable although it is 4.30am in the morning and i've been wide awake for the past 2 and a half hours...

Fingal 10k should be good on Sunday.

My new 1000 mile socks arrived today, really comfortable.

3 miles tomorrow with a rest day on saturday which will involve a swim. Then the 10k on Sunday and 2 weeks training are finito!

The following 2 weeks are runs of 4,4,4,6,Rest,5,4 miles. I am looking forward to getting some long runs in to see how my fitness has improved. I'm also thinking about doing the Port Tunnel 10k in August.

Fingal 10k today

Delighted with beating my PB. I ran today's race 53.15 which is over 2 minutes better than my last 10k race.

Back to training tomorrow with a 4 mile run

My 3rd week of my marathon training. After the Fingal 10k on Sunday getting out to do a 4 mile wasn't as hard as I thought. I did have one or two niggles along the 4 mile run but nothing too serious.

Monday 23rd July - 4.03 miles - 39.26 minutes @ 9.47 min/mile

Another 4 miles this evening, which I am going to try and run even slower again.

Another 4 mile run yesterday evening at a really nice slow pace with some easy strides in between.

Tuesday 24th July - 4.02 miles - 43.49 minutes @ 10.53 min/mile.

Another 4 miles to run this evening, if i could get up past the 11 min/mile I'd be happy. It's surprising how difficult it is to run slower... It really works though.

Will be heading up to the Morton Mile/Games tonight to see some real athletes, don't know how they run 4 min/mile.

Cheers
    Moggie

After my trip to the Morton mile last night i came home to do my 4 mile run. I went a little faster than i had planned (maybe due to watching real athletes skip around the track in no time) but at the same time i really enjoyed it. It was around 10 o'clock so it was nice and cool, not many people/traffic around.

Wednesday 25th July - 4.02 miles - 36.01 minutes @ 8.57 min/mile

That is exactly my target for the marathon in October which will bring me in under the 4 hour mark.

6 mile run this evening - actually looking forward to it on this beautiful sunny day!

Thursday 26th July - 5.99 miles - 61.25 minutes @ 10.14 min/mile

Beautiful evening for a 6 mile run, went as slow as i could but maybe could be slower. Enjoyed it very much but going to enjoy my rest day today even more...

So rest day today, 5 mile on saturday and 4 mile on sunday which will complete my 3rd week training schedule.

I find my new running socks and compression shorts are working out very well. I had thoughts today as to what i'll do after i complete the marathon, maybe the 4 peaks challenege?? Maybe the London marathon?? Not too sure yet, only time will tell.

Saturday 28th July

5 mile run -41.54 minutes @8.18 min/mile

Sunday 29th July

4 mile run - 34.02 minutes @ 8.28 min/mile

Ran around at a steady pace, this was the quickest I've ran ever... Felt really good on both days to complete my 3rd weeks training.

4 miles this evening

Tuesday 31st July

Was a little tired before yesterday's training so decided to change my route to add a little bit of interest to it. I think the same route can get a tad monotonous. So i did 4 laps of some football fields that are about a mile from my house which was certainly different.

4 miles - 37.45 - 9.23 min/mile

I also registered my name for this years DCM which i am delighted about! I discovered i may be away for the 10 mile race in the park so i'll just do the half marathon or maybe look at another 10 mile elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 1st August

I ran another 4 miles at a very good pace, again running on grass.

4.02m - 34.11 minutes @ 8.30min/mile

Thursday 2nd August

I went out at 7pm this evening to do my 6 miles but i needed to be back in 45 minutes in order for my wife to go to her kettle bells. I originally thought i'll just do the 4 miles and add the other 2 miles to Sunday's run but after my first 4 miles i was still able to run at what turned out to be over 5 minutes better than my PB. Really enjoyed it, it's amazing what you can do when your under pressure...

6 miles - 47.37 minutes @ 7.56 min/mile

Rest day today with 5 miles and swimming on Saturday and 4 miles on Sunday which will complete my 4 weeks training.

Really enjoying running on the grass by the way. A change...

Advertisement