Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

im the cow that jumped !

• 05-07-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

over the moon that is : i just got offered BN104 computing ( information technology ).

i know i am probably talking to an empty room here but if there is anybody out in the ether who has done or is doing this course, just wondered if you can reccommend any reading for me before sep. just to prepare me , being a 44yr old 'aulfella' who hasn't been to school for a couple a millenia??

enjoy yer holidays anyhow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey,

I completed that course a few years ago..

As for reading materials.. I would read up on Java and Networking. If you have no experience with these subjects reading over the summer will give you a great head start.

When I was in the college the networking was based on cisco and you can find lots of materials on line (CCNA level)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

Congratulations and welcome to ITB.

I am about to enter my fourth year. I agree with the last guy that Java and Cisco Networking are the best things to learn. Some HTML would set you at an advantage too and revising some Mathematics just to get familiar with it.

As for actual reading materials I would advise you not to get any. Following video tutorials online is much better from my own experience as they are more in depth and generally more interesting. Also, if do end up wanting to read the library has tons of books for all aspects of the course.

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php . Half my class at least have learned a bunch from this guys tutorials. They're amazing, helpful and completely free. If you follow the 'Java - Beginner' tutorials, even just a few of them, you will be more than a step ahead of the rest of your class by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dubdad

Thanks for the advice T-K-O and Chief Jack. So its off to the boston academy for me for the summer. I think i'm ok with the maths, i have allready revised a fair ammount of this as some of my choices were in an engineering vein.
    I appreciate the heads-up for the newboston site as i used something similar(the khan academy) for my maths and found it to be a great resource.
    I might look at a little C programming too .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

Cool. You will do a bit of C but not that much really. Java is the main thing because you use it every year.

Chief_Jack wrote: »
    Cool. You will do a bit of C but not that much really. Java is the main thing because you use it every year.
    Yep. Although, since the course was changed last year, first year might be slightly different to ours (I'm going into fourth year too ;) ). The New Boston is great, I'm currently using their Android Dev videos.

If you want to lookup a bit of C, I would recommend Havards CompSci course.They have video recorded lectures which are very good!!

Their website is http://cs50.net

Or you can get their stuff on iTunes U http://itunes.apple.com/ie/itunes-u/harvard-colleges-computer/id263483352?mt=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

hey dubdad, Il most likely meet you there on the 10th. il be the "mature" student that looks just a little older than the general population and probably running late/grumpy lol :)

Ha Ha , i'll be the one thats grumpy, wrinkly and grey.
    we can be grumpy togther like those two old guys from the muppet show.
    waldorf and something ... i think
    ah it's time for me alzheimers medication again,...
    if only i could remember where i put them....
    shuffles off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

So looks like i actually got one of my higher choices, so im off to DIT! GL tho.

thanks journeyman1
    best of luck on your course.
    its itb for me, i'm happy to be going there , the network setup looks good, and they seem to have good comp. labs, probably because everything is so shiny and new.
    I hope the lecturers are as good as the equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'll hopefully be starting the part time course BN026 (Higher Cert in Computing) next month also as a mature student provided I get a place. Any other part timers? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

kyub wrote: »
    I'll hopefully be starting the part time course BN026 (Higher Cert in Computing) next month also as a mature student provided I get a place. Any other part timers? :)

I just got an email to confirm I got a place. Yay! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

kyub wrote: »
    I just got an email to confirm I got a place. Yay! :D

Well done Kyub. Welcome to ITB! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 demitridi

I'm still waiting on my registration letter etc T_________________T BN104 though wooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Katie30

I graduated a few years ago from ITB. Loved every minute of it but I hope the social life has improved there. Enjoy and fair play to you!

Advertisement