Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECB rate cut to 0.75% - will banks pass it on?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

ECB Rate has been cut to 0/75% today, apparently an historic low.

It'll be interesting to see which banks pass this on.

I am with Permanent TSB for my mortgage and I received a genuinely nice letter from them a couple of months ago, effectively stating their committment to making the TSB standard variable rates closer to the lower BOI/AIB rates.
    I wonder if they will honour their committments!

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0705/ecb-expected-to-cut-interest-rates.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

I hope KBC / IIB pass it on too...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

AIB will not cut its variable mortgage rate as it is the lowest in the market, according to CEO this afternoon. (Tracker rates will obviously reduce by 0.25%).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

the only rate guaranteed to dip is the tracker. you can be sure the interest rate paid on deposit accounts will dip also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ulster are passing on the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

KBC say they haven't made a decision yet about variable rate mortgages.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0705/aib-wont-cut-variable-mortgage-rates.html

Considering they refused to pass on the last cut, it will be very bad form if they refuse again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Fair Play to Permanent TSB, doing the decent thing at last.....
    Ulster Bank is to pass it on while AIB has said it won't, Permanent TSB has just confirmed that it is cutting its standard variable rate by 0.35%.

Source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/noonan-encouraging-banks-to-cut-rates-558128.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fair Play to Permanent TSB, doing the decent thing at last.....

I think that leaves the PTSB SVR at 4.34% - plenty of room for them to lower it further.

As an aside, Noonan's comments on not getting involved in (nationalised) banks' mortgage rates is pathetic - but I expect nothing better from him at this stage.

Any word on KBC yet? THanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnfitz69

PTSB dropping there standard variable by .35%. Slightly more than the .25. There going in the right direction.

I rang KBC and they stated no decision has been made yet for variable customers.

Was the last interest cut passed on can anyone remember?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

DriverMad wrote: »
    I rang KBC and they stated no decision has been made yet for variable customers.

Was the last interest cut passed on can anyone remember?

Thanks.

No they didn't. The previous one to that (a month or two before it) was though.

Any word if KBC passing on cut yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

The longer it goes wthout any public uproar or political pressure, the less likely any of the "undecided" banks are to pass on a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

or if you are AIB just ignore the public outcry and increase your rate by .5% instead as they have just announced!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

or if you are AIB just ignore the public outcry and increase your rate by .5% instead as they have just announced!!!

to be fair AIB had the lowest rate in the market. While the likes of PTSB had a rate which was unrealistically high I believe AIB had a rate which was unrealistically low. They are a business at the end of the day and need to cover costs or will suffer further losses.

ICS and Bank of Ireland increasing Standard Variable Rates by 0.25%. Also announced today. Coincidental timing of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ICS and Bank of Ireland increasing Standard Variable Rates by 0.25%. Also announced today. Coincidental timing of course. :rolleyes:

Link to it?

Link to it?

Don't have anything online - got the release from ICS. Unlike AIB, the ICS and Bank of Ireland move is only for new business, not existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Don't have anything online - got the release from ICS. Unlike AIB, the ICS and Bank of Ireland move is only for new business, not existing customers.

Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Phew!

Phew is right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Has anyone received anything from Ulsterbank regarding the most recent rate cut. They were quick to say they'd pass it on at the time but they didn't really have an option given all the other issues.

Now that the dust has settled, have they swept this under the carpet in the hope that we'll all just go away ??

Advertisement