Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will (New) Teachers Pay Ever Rise Again?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

doc_17 wrote: »
    Getting paid to coach rugby after school? You'll be expected to do that out I the kindness of your heart! Or maybe I should have been charging those little 13 and 14 year olds all this time for my coaching skills!
    In fairness, some of the private schools and better off schools probably do pay coaches. He's still hoping for a lot though I imagine.
    I suspect at least one of the posters here coaches one of the rugby teams in a school in south Dublin. He might be able to shed light on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RealJohn wrote: »
    In fairness, some of the private schools and better off schools probably do pay coaches. He's still hoping for a lot though I imagine.
    I suspect at least one of the posters here coaches one of the rugby teams in a school in south Dublin. He might be able to shed light on this.

In a regular school like doc_17 said it would just be classed as extra curricular and not paid. In a fee paying school where they do get in rugby coaches they do pay them. I know of one school (not going to name them here) that spends an obscene amount of money on rugby. Would be enough to build a few classrooms for a needy school. But again those schools are in the minority.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

I think for a teaching post 27k is a good salary. I don't think they should earn anymore for the skills they have plus the benefits holidays they have.

A couple of years ago a teachers starting salary was higher than an Engineers. That sounds ludicrous to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

kegzmc wrote: »
    I think for a teaching post 27k is a good salary. I don't think they should earn anymore for the skills they have plus the benefits holidays they have.

A couple of years ago a teachers starting salary was higher than an Engineers. That sounds ludicrous to me.

Why shouldn't it be?

Most teachers don't start on full hours anyway so don't earn anything near 27k in their first year, or first few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

kegzmc wrote: »

You are trying to discuss teacher salaries in the abstract which is a tricky thing to do. What is the value of an education? What is the value of a good teacher in providing that? Very difficult to say in pure monetary terms. Is there even such a thing as a monetary value in the abstract?

Moving away from the abstract - why on earth should a teacher not earn as much as an engineer? * There is no greater innate value in what an engineer does - merely a relative familiarity and concomitent lack of respect not to mention holiday envy among the great unwashed for teachers relative to engineers.

Such an assertion as yours appears to boil down to nothing more cogent than 'tis-savage-hard-and-they-all-did-honours-maths'. And in fairness engineers themselves tend not to have self-esteem issues, as we see occasionally here when one of them decides to do teaching and thinks they would and should be able to teach nearly everything.

To suggest that one earning as much/more than the other is "ludricous" is itself ludricous, and is informed more by prejudice than any genuine intellectual process. The same applies to any job. If engineers are worth more money than teachers the market will ensure they'll be paid it - otherwise they'll all leave and become teachers instead...won't they? But they have no inherent right to an expectation of any particular salary - though, like teachers, they are entitled to be paid what they sign up for.

* The question of this matter in actuality is, of course, a matter for the employer/employee realtionship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

backless wrote: »

I see my plan going something along the lines of:
    • Apply this December for H. Dip, start studies in Sept 2013. Possibly earn rugby coaching badges at the same time, this would allow me to coach in schools- more income as a coach after hours.
    • Hopefully graduate and start teaching in 2014.
    I have an interest in IT and I regularly fix and troubleshoot problems for firneds and neighbours, so I'm considering getting CCNA cert, and do consultation during the summer holidays and whenever else I need or want to.

Good attitude, remember to get back to us here in 2015 and let us know how it all went.

Rugby eh? now where's that 'who you know' thread gone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Some schools will pay for extra curricular, nearly alwaysAyia paying schools.

But I would say that once the tax, USC, prsi etc is paid it comes to very little, particularly when the number of hours of coaching is factored in.

Last year I was doing 10-12 hours of coaching per week on top of my 18 1/2 hr timetable.

The money is just a gesture. it's not a huge sum by any means, and when I worked out my net hourly rate, it worked out as €6.80

I know it's something most schools can't afford & tbh, when I was told I'd be getting paid for it I was a bit embarrassed as I was used to doing co-curricular as a matter of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I think that the degree and hdip allowances will be restored shortly. Possibly at a lower level.but it would help.

I think the masters allowance is dead and buried long with the special duties teacher post.

So i do think there will be an improvement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

bdoo wrote: »
    I think that the degree and hdip allowances will be restored shortly. Possibly at a lower level.but it would help.

What makes you think that bdoo? I would have thought they were gone for good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

dambarude wrote: »
    What makes you think that bdoo? I would have thought they were gone for good too.
    Just an opinion. A hopeful one!

The allowances only come to about 100euro a week before deductions. I think and hope that common sense will prevail.

Advertisement