Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to cancel new and unused Eircom service due to not living in the house next year

Options
  • 05-07-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I signed up to Eircom's broadband less than a month ago due to a good sounding offer. It is a student house, and since signing up our exam results have come out and unfortunately some of my housemates did not pass. Because of this we won't be living in the house next year, and it's very likely nobody will be.

I rang eircom customer support today who told me that since it was a 12 month contract, we could either transfer it to a new house (not possible) or pay the whole 12 months up front. I find this absolutely ridiculous as we have not used any of the broadband and all of router etc is still inside its box, yet we are expected to pay for 12 months of internet that we will never use.

Is there any way around this? Right now I'm very annoyed and am considering simply not paying.

Thanks,
    Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Did you sign up to a 12 month contract? Like in fairness expecting to pull out of it after a month with no penalty is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mikesligo

gpf101 wrote: »
    Did you sign up to a 12 month contract? Like in fairness expecting to pull out of it after a month with no penalty is a bit much.

I did, but I couldn't really have seen this coming. I haven't used it at all, and while asking for no penalty might be a bit too hopeful, all they're offering is the full penalty, pay the 12 months up front. No standard cancellation fee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's a balls but that's generally the way it is with contracts. Hopefully they'll do something for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

mikesligo wrote: »
    Hi,

I signed up to Eircom's broadband less than a month ago due to a good sounding offer. It is a student house, and since signing up our exam results have come out and unfortunately some of my housemates did not pass. Because of this we won't be living in the house next year, and it's very likely nobody will be.

I rang eircom customer support today who told me that since it was a 12 month contract, we could either transfer it to a new house (not possible) or pay the whole 12 months up front. I find this absolutely ridiculous as we have not used any of the broadband and all of router etc is still inside its box, yet we are expected to pay for 12 months of internet that we will never use.

Is there any way around this? Right now I'm very annoyed and am considering simply not paying.

Thanks,
    Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.

As you say, you agreed to a 12 month contract. If your colleagues are no longer in a position to stay in the premises this is something you may wish to address.

I do appreciate your situation, though the contract doesn't single any one out and stands for all customers. The agreement is between the customer and eircom and is made over a 12 months.

It may help to call into Customer Care and explaining your current position.

Customer Care - 1901 freefone

Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement