Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance reduced

• 05-07-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys

I was at the CWO today applying for rent allowance and he told me the max rate for my town is €78 per week (312 per month) for a single person living on their own. Yet when I got home I checked the rates on the website and it was €85 per week (€340 pm)

Do you know why this is the case? I haven't been able to get through to his phone to find out.

P.s. On JA with no other income

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The rate you see on the website is the maximum county rate.
    In some cases there are local maximum rates below that county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Hi, thanks for answering.

I am living in the chief town of the county, which has the most expensive rent.
    I'm very confused by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

dont be, if you do not pay tax universal charge you are only allowede to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This is just a maths thing.

Looking at the rent supplement rates here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

I see Sligo is the only place with €340 for a single person. I'm guessing that's where you live so you found the correct figure.

If that's right, then here's what I think is causing the confusion:
    - you take the €340 per month and divide it by 4 because usually there are 4 weeks in a month. So 340/4 = 85.
    - there is not exactly 4 weeks in every month. for example, January has 31 days. That's like 4 weeks plus 3 days.
    - your CWO takes the 340 per month and multiplies it by 12 months to get 4080 for the year. Then the CWO divides it into the 52 weeks of the year to get 4080/52 = 78.46

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Hi

Thanks for that. That clears it all up.
    I thought the CWO decided on a whim to reduce it, just 'cause he could!!
    if you do not pay tax universal charge you are only allowede to exist.
    Ha! I got that impression all right. He told me it HAD to be a one bedroomed flat preferably. I've come across a couple of houses (in the country) for the same price, so I wonder if he will let me live in those?

• Advertisement
Advertisement