Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard and wifi dongle ?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I completed an order with HardwareVersand this week with the help of you guys. Looking forward to it's arrival next week :)

I didn't include a keyboard or a wifi dongle for the wifi in our house (tbh I can't recall why I didn't)

Looking at the keyboards on the site or other sites incl PCWorld it is very hard to judge. The photos are very very limited.

I want a KB similar in shallow profile and shallow feel to the Apple iMac silver keyboard, of anyone is familiar with them. I did use a keyboard on a HP Desktop in PCW a few weeks ago and that seemed quite good.

Would anyone have any recommendations for both of these components ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I've used one of these for a few days and they are really comfortable to use and they feel like the mac keyboards. And the ability to connect it to 3 different wireless devices at once has it sold for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You didn't order a keyboard because they are German layout. I think best bet is to go to pc world and get a feel for the keyboards they have, its the kind of thing you should try before you buy.

As for a wireless dongle, i've been using a netgear one and not had problems but anything you find in pc world should do. Some people recommend the plug network adaptors too if you want to go the wired route. But I like that I can move my wireless dongle to another machine and not have to add more mac addresses to my router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If your looking for a good quality keyboard that is comfortable to type on you should have a look at a mechanical keyboard. They are a bit more expensive than your average keyboard but that's because they are a class above your standard scissor switch/rubber dome keyboard and they generally have a much much higher build quality!

There is a nice choice here, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=702&catid=23&subid=2107 I am not endorsing overclockers as the best or cheapest place to get any of these keyboards, but it does provide nice filter options and a good selection.
    The Qpad MK-85 is said to be one of the more comfortable to use because of it's built-in wrist rest.

If your not willing to spend €100+ on a mechanical keyboard I believe the Mac keyboards actually work with windows so you could buy a Mac keyboard since you know you like it. Actually just googled it, it's not as simple as just plug it in coz of the difference in keyboard layouts but still it's possible if you want. http://www.freshbooks.com/blog/2008/04/03/mac-envy-how-to-use-an-apple-keyboard-with-windows/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thanks guys ... now I know why I didn't order LOL (Thanks Wicker!)

it's for my son who is a very competitive and successful gamer, so response time and comfort are big issues.. maybe we need to visit PCW in person to try some out. I was thinking though that they wouldn't have half as many in stock as online.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Was in PCWorld a week or two ago myself hoping to test out a few mechanical keyboards but the girl there wouldn't let me open any boxes to try out the keyboard, which I suppose is fair but they didn't even have any test models either. You might have more luck though. As you said your best option is to get your hands on a few different keyboards and try them out.

If response times and comfort are big issues then you definitely need to checkout some mechanical keyboards, they are simply better. Here is a nice video of someone who can speak and get his point across a little better than me :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHnMcFGkGcA
    For gaming generally people like Black or Red switches as they allow for faster key presses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement