Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools in Athlone?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning to move to Athlone having just received an acceptance to Athlone I.T. yesterday. I'm moving with my 5 year old daughter and was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of some Primary Schools nearby the college? I will obviously be living near the college so it would make sense to send her somewhere close.
    I have been searching, but there are so many and not knowing the area at all I'm not sure which are near! I live too far away to travel down and investigate just yet but as classes will likely be almost fully enrolled by this stage time is of the essence! She will be going into Senior Infants. By close I mean no more than a 10 minute drive if possible.
    Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Depends on where you are living but closest to AIT would probably be Cornamaddy, about a 5-8 minute drive depending on a bit of traffic.

Athlone Mixed National School in/near Arcadia would be in and around the same distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Clonbonny would be a much smaller school on the old dublin Road about 1 mile away from the college

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Have you tried St Mary's NS? Athlone mixed NS might have a place if you haven't contacted them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 athlone.ie

Clonbonny N.S. is the nearest to the AIT
    http://www.athlone.ie/business-directory/clonbonny-n.s.

Other Primary schools located close to the AIT include
    Cornamaddy
    St Mary's N.S.
    Athlone Mixed N.S.

All primary school details can be found on:
    http://www.athlone.ie/training-and-education/primary-schools

Good luck with the move & college.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

+1 for Clonbonny NS. My son is there, finished first class and he loves it. Smaller school & smaller classrooms compared to others in town and is quite easy to access from AIT. Teachers are lovely and the school is well maintained. If you need the school's contract details (as they are out of term time) pm me - I should have the principal's no or email address somewhere. As someone else said, depends where you are in Athlone, Clonbonny is out the old Dublin Road and traffic from Kilmartins roundabout (big large roundabout on dublin road) can be mental some mornings! Likewise if you choose Cornamaddy, queues from there to the college in the morning!

Also, if you need afterschool care depending on your course timetable, Grovelands childcare in the Garrycastle IDA park do afterschool as far as I know and they are just down the road from the college.

Best of luck, exciting times for ye!

• Advertisement
Advertisement