Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail authentication v. slow - problem server?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I get broadband wirelessly, from a small, local ISP based in Ardara, Co. Donegal (I presume the service links into the phone system at or near there). I think it's an offshoot of Fastcom, and my outgoing server name is mail.airspeed.ie (incoming mail1.eircom.net).

Though the emails theselves send & receive at normal speed, in both cases I first have to wait 2 minutes approx. for the preliminaries between my computer and the server to run their course ('connected to mail1.eircom.net' etc).
    It's quite frustrating and time-consuming. (I've taken to waiting until I've collected a bunch of them to send or receive, like I used to with a bad pay-as-you-go dialup connection). The problem started suddenly about 2 weeks ago (and has been consistent since).
    Web browsing isn't affected.

Having checked things at my end, I contacted my ISP, and found the problem is further upstream (if that's the word?), with mail servers.

I presume these servers are part of Eircom's infrastructure; could you point me to any info that would tell me anything about what/where the problem is, and/or when it's expected to be resolved?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

P.S. In case it helps to see message headers, this topic over in the Nets & Comms forum shows 2 typical ones (during this problem, that is), 1 from my email client & 1 from Eircom webmail. (Via link to each in my latest posting; I don't seem able to simply insert an image).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686818

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Having checked things at my end, I contacted my ISP, and found the problem is further upstream (if that's the word?), with mail servers.

I presume these servers are part of Eircom's infrastructure; could you point me to any info that would tell me anything about what/where the problem is, and/or when it's expected to be resolved?

Thanks.

Whos server did your ISP tell you had a problem? Sounds to me like your ip does not have a reverse DNS record. This can delay authentication with mail services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I get broadband wirelessly, from a small, local ISP based in Ardara, Co. Donegal (I presume the service links into the phone system at or near there). I think it's an offshoot of Fastcom, and my outgoing server name is mail.airspeed.ie (incoming mail1.eircom.net).

Though the emails theselves send & receive at normal speed, in both cases I first have to wait 2 minutes approx. for the preliminaries between my computer and the server to run their course ('connected to mail1.eircom.net' etc).
    It's quite frustrating and time-consuming. (I've taken to waiting until I've collected a bunch of them to send or receive, like I used to with a bad pay-as-you-go dialup connection). The problem started suddenly about 2 weeks ago (and has been consistent since).
    Web browsing isn't affected.

Thanks.

Hi Fogmatic,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your frustration and there may be slow or intermittent access issue with your particular eircom mailbox. Can you PM your eircom email address and I can check this here.
    This may also be related to various factors, including applications currently running on your PC (e.g: anti-virus programme) or as suggested in the post above.

If you use an email client like Microsoft Outlook try to change the incoming mailserver to : webmail.eircom.net - instead of 'mail1.eircom.net (as advised below - eircom e-mail settings.

Try to bring up a command prompt on your PC. (To to this, just hold down the windows key, and press 'r' at the same time. Type the command: 'cmd' and press return>. This should open up a command prompt window.)

Where you see the cursor is flashing on this window, try to access your eircom email inbox by typing the following:

H:\>telnet webmail.eircom.net 110
    (press return)

(type) user login
    (press return>)

(where 'login' is your eircom username - You won't be able to see text when you enter the user command)

(type) pass your email password
    (press return>)

(type) list
    (press return>)

Let me know if you see a list of your emails in your inbox

I've listed the eircom mailserver settings again below :

E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

Help with configuring your e-mail client

Let me know if I can help you further.

Best of luck & regards,
    Ant

Thanks java - I did go on to ask my ISP the whereabouts of the problem server(s), but no reply yet (probably busy on windy hilltops or something).
    A quick search later, I'm still not really sure what a reverse DNS record is, but tried a "reverse DNS lookup" at mstoolbox.com, entering my IP number according to both UPC Speedtest and whatsmyip.org (which is different from any of the addresses ipconfig brings up). Result was;
    "ptr:(my IP address)" (I don't know what 'ptr means)
    Loop detected! We were referred back to '..........' (An IP-type address I haven't seen anywhere else)
    This is followed by a session transcript.
    Does this mean I have a reverse DNS record? (I don't know if 'Loop detected' is an error message or a success one!).

Thanks Ant - I'll pm my email address after this (by 'eircom.net address', I presume you mean my email-client one, as opposed to a webmail address?)

I've never used Outlook (Thunderbird normally; same problem appears in Windows Mail).

I couldn't get Dos to recognise the command you provided. I tried both starting with telnet and with H:\>. (Is it appearing in your posting exactly as you intended?)

Thanks for my email settings, but I'm well familiar with them and have already checked them all several times over since the start of the problem.

I tried Traceroute today to the incoming server, outgoing one & Google. I'm still in the process of learning how to interpret these things, but the one to airspeed.ie timed out just after the first mention of airspeed.ie, and stayed timed out. Maybe that's a clue? (There's 1 very fleeting timeout on the way to the eircom server, and no timeouts in the Google one). Would it be any help if I sent you the screenshots?

Please ignore the blue face - I have no idea how it got there! It doesn't appear in the editing window.

• Advertisement

Sorry Ant - I hadn't noticed there was a connection between your instruction to change the POP server, and your next instruction.
    I changed the POP server & tried the command again, but no joy. Whether I start with the H: or with progressively later characters, the first part is unrecognised (either as a drive or as command). So I changed the server back to mail1.eircom.net.

Forgot to mention the IP address is the same whether through my router or bypassing it (in case that helps).

When I said 'the IP address', it was before I found a second one (I'm more confused now!). I read today that ipconfig gives one's IP address, so did that to double-check, & the IP address was different. When I tried it in a reverse DNA lookup though, it said 'Private IP addresses cannot be reversed publicly' (whether or not my connection was through the router). So I'd guess the first IP address, I found (the one that sites like UPC give me) is the one in question?

In case it helps, I have captures of those Traceroute results (to mail1.eircom.net, mail.airspeed.ie & google.com). And of a reverse DNS thing with a loop, and a 'rcode=SERVER_FAILURE'. Again, I can't claim to understand it all yet (though I know what a loop is, thanks to a bit of programming in the 1980s!).

I don't know if I could insert them as images in a PM. The only way I found to add images to a posting is to put them on Flickr and insert their URLs - is that the only way?

Right, having read up on this Telnet thing, I installed the Windows service involved (not installed by default in Vista - I might have known!). The telnet command was then recognised, and after a little trial & error it worked (once I'd waited till there was any new mail to list, that is!).
    I got a list corresponding with the number of new emails I'd seen (via mail2web) at the server.
    In case it's relevant, it was about 13 seconds from entering the user name & password to seeing the authorisation confirmed, and seeing the list seemed instantaneous on entering that command.

When I posted the above, I'd forgotten to change the incoming server to the webmail one (so it was mail1.eircom.net).
    So I've just done it with the webmail incoming server as instructed, which got the same result (except the authentication took about 45 seconds).

When I posted the above, I'd forgotten to change the incoming server to the webmail one (so it was mail1.eircom.net).
    So I've just done it with the webmail incoming server as instructed, which got the same result (except the authentication took about 45 seconds).

Thanks Fogmatic,

I have replied to your PM.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Thanks for your PM Ant.

Yes, I can access Eircom webmail, and always could as far as I can remember (there's a header from it via the link in my 2nd posting above).
    It would be useful to know how success/failure with Eircom Webmail indicates what part of the email system is working/not?. (E.g. why success means the fault must be with my settings?) Will any webmail site do for this purpose?

I've already recreated my Thunderbird account several times during this problem (plus my Windows Mail one, in case it overrrides the Thunderbird ones); but I'll do it again just in case.
    Could you just clarify first why I have to change my incoming server? Thanks.

Thank you for starting the upgrade to 'New Webmail', from my existing Eircom Email account; presumably 'Eircom Email account' refers only to the webmail one?

Thanks for your PM Ant.

Yes, I can access Eircom webmail, and always could as far as I can remember (there's a header from it via the link in my 2nd posting above).
    It would be useful to know how success/failure with Eircom Webmail indicates what part of the email system is working/not?. (E.g. why success means the fault must be with my settings?) Will any webmail site do for this purpose?

I've already recreated my Thunderbird account several times during this problem (plus my Windows Mail one, in case it overrrides the Thunderbird ones); but I'll do it again just in case.
    Could you just clarify first why I have to change my incoming server? Thanks.

Thank you for starting the upgrade to 'New Webmail', from my existing Eircom Email account; presumably 'Eircom Email account' refers only to the webmail one?

Thanks for taking the time to check your email.

webmail.eircom.net is now used instead of 'mail1 or mail2.eircom.net' and is our incoming pop mail server. This should be used to connect to your eircom.net account. Where as, mail1.eircom.net is our SMTP mail server and is exclusively used for outgoing mail.

As advised : If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

Try configuring your eMail client again. Disable your anti-virus or firewall(s) when testing your email. Check for any errors or mail delivery reports and send a quick test email again. With no problem sending and receiving email using your eircom Webmail this could be related to software.

Let me know if this works.

Ant

Right: having had to resolve a separate problem first, I've finally been able to reconfigure my email account again; and as expected, it made no difference.

I wasn't going to detail here the things I've already tried, as I thought it would be off-topic. What I was trying to find out here was whether anyone can check whether a mail server(s) somewhere along the line has any problem (for example, any recently turned-on spam filter that's not set perfectly, if it's possible for that to delay authentication but then then let the mail through).
    But it looks as if I'd better outline the whole thing, after all;

Suddenly, on about 20th June, the authentication process, instead of taking a few seconds, started taking about 2 minutes, whether receiving mail or sending it. It's taken the same time consistently ever since, through all the things I've tried.
    Once the authentication is done, mail seems to download/send at normal speed.
    Browsing isn't affected by whatever it is.
    It's the same whether using Thunderbird or Windows Mail, and with all their add-ons disabled. And with the previous version of Thunderbird.
    And I hadn't opened Windows Mail for months, let alone changed any settings in it.
    It can't be a case of storing too many emails, or not compacting the folders often enough.
    It doesn't coincide with any installations or other changes (including Windows updates, which I do manually).
    It's made no difference, since the start of the problem, using Safe Mode, or with any or all anti-malware programs temporarily disabled (AVG, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Rapport security software. I expunged all traces of other anti-malware programs years ago). Or with all automatic software updates disabled. Nothing's new's appeared in Startup (which was already pruned down to the essentials).
    Same when I bypass my router (connecting the incoming broadband cable directly to the computer)
    A complete virus scan found nothing.
    The problem's independant of ping results, which are often faster to the mail servers in my settings than to web addresses. My connection speed fluctuates with the weather, the mail authentication speed is constant.
    Changing the incoming server from mail1.eircom.net to webmail.eircom.net made no difference to this particular problem.
    Same delay when testing an email to myself from Eircom's webmail facility (and same kind of timing shown in the header).
    Most of the time I use my notebook computer (with Vista Home Premium SP2). I also have a desktop (with the same OS & other software), which I hadn't used for several weeks. About a week into the email problem, I connected the desktop up again, turned it on & immediately checked receiving & sending email, and got the identical problem.

I couldn't find many instances of it on the internet, though it's hard to get the right keywords anyway. But in one forum, several other people had the same problem, starting at the same time (although I don't know where they live).

I really can't see how it can be down to my setup or settings; can you explain?

On what date did the correct incoming server become webmail.eircom.net? I'm a bit puzzled at having been able to use a server that's exclusively outgoing as an incoming one.

Right: having had to resolve a separate problem first, I've finally been able to reconfigure my email account again; and as expected, it made no difference.

I wasn't going to detail here the things I've already tried, as I thought it would be off-topic. What I was trying to find out here was whether anyone can check whether a mail server(s) somewhere along the line has any problem (for example, any recently turned-on spam filter that's not set perfectly, if it's possible for that to delay authentication but then then let the mail through).
    But it looks as if I'd better outline the whole thing, after all;

Suddenly, on about 20th June, the authentication process, instead of taking a few seconds, started taking about 2 minutes, whether receiving mail or sending it. It's taken the same time consistently ever since, through all the things I've tried.
    Once the authentication is done, mail seems to download/send at normal speed.
    Browsing isn't affected by whatever it is.
    It's the same whether using Thunderbird or Windows Mail, and with all their add-ons disabled. And with the previous version of Thunderbird.
    And I hadn't opened Windows Mail for months, let alone changed any settings in it.
    It can't be a case of storing too many emails, or not compacting the folders often enough.
    It doesn't coincide with any installations or other changes (including Windows updates, which I do manually).
    It's made no difference, since the start of the problem, using Safe Mode, or with any or all anti-malware programs temporarily disabled (AVG, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Rapport security software. I expunged all traces of other anti-malware programs years ago). Or with all automatic software updates disabled. Nothing's new's appeared in Startup (which was already pruned down to the essentials).
    Same when I bypass my router (connecting the incoming broadband cable directly to the computer)
    A complete virus scan found nothing.
    The problem's independant of ping results, which are often faster to the mail servers in my settings than to web addresses. My connection speed fluctuates with the weather, the mail authentication speed is constant.
    Changing the incoming server from mail1.eircom.net to webmail.eircom.net made no difference to this particular problem.
    Same delay when testing an email to myself from Eircom's webmail facility (and same kind of timing shown in the header).
    Most of the time I use my notebook computer (with Vista Home Premium SP2). I also have a desktop (with the same OS & other software), which I hadn't used for several weeks. About a week into the email problem, I connected the desktop up again, turned it on & immediately checked receiving & sending email, and got the identical problem.

I couldn't find many instances of it on the internet, though it's hard to get the right keywords anyway. But in one forum, several other people had the same problem, starting at the same time (although I don't know where they live).

I really can't see how it can be down to my setup or settings; can you explain?

On what date did the correct incoming server become webmail.eircom.net? I'm a bit puzzled at having been able to use a server that's exclusively outgoing as an incoming one.

Thank you for your post Fogmatic,

I have tested your eircom email and sent you a test message; which I have received your reply.

I'm looking into this further, though if possible can you try to use our webmail service www.eircom.net/email. If possible, can you shut down your email clients when testing your email again. It may be difficult to exit or prevent these application from downloading email on your computer as they may run in the background without your knowledge. Also, if you could try to temporarily disable or exit your anti-virus application /firewall(s) when testing your email. Sometimes these programmes will quarantine or check your emails before you download them using your email clients.

When re-configuring your email client (Windows Live or Thunderbird), please use our : webmail.eircom.net

This server is the now the main POP3 Mail server and supersedes mail1.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net

The mailserver port for incoming mail is on Port 110 , so just ensure you check this when configuring your email.

Best regards,
    Ant

Thanks for that, Ant.
    Did you mean me to do another email test next? (I've only just realised you'd posted again).
    Re trying to use the webmail service, do you mean just for sending test emails to & fro? (I'd prefer not to use it for my other email correspondence unless I have to, as I can't download messages once I've viewed them there).

Thanks for that, Ant.
    Did you mean me to do another email test next? (I've only just realised you'd posted again).
    Re trying to use the webmail service, do you mean just for sending test emails to & fro? (I'd prefer not to use it for my other email correspondence unless I have to, as I can't download messages once I've viewed them there).

Hi Fogmatic,

Thanks. I've checked your email account again and it appears to be working fine, though I realise you are also using your email client (Windows Mail and Thunderbird).

As advised, your eircom email will try to download first on which ever email platform you're using. Your email will then be removed, or popped, from our mail server and may longer be visible through the eircom Webmail service - www.eircom.net/email .

As also advised, your email is currently on eircom's Old Webmail. This allows mail storage of just 5Mb. Therefore, if you receive a larger email than the mailbox, you first need to download your email on to your email client or delete any additional email or large email files on your Webmail, before you can download new emails.

I've suggested that you use the webmail service on www.mail2web.com. Once logged on to your eircom email account using this service, you can then select or delete large emails (or spam) and this will allow new email to arrive into your eircom email account (inbox).

I have now requested your email is upgraded to eircom New Webmail, which will allow for greater mail storage (5 Gb). It will also allow you to use improved and advanced features (like email forwarding and filtering, etc.). This upgrade can take between 4 to 8 weeks to complete, before your eircom email account is migrated over to our advanced New Webmail service. When your eircom email is migrated over to New Webmail, you will then should have no issue again receiving your eircom email either by email client (like Windows Mail or Thunderbird) or directly on the eircom New Webmail service :

To view the extra benefits associated with eircom New Webmail, please see the following website Tour :

http://email.eircom.net/email/tour/

Let me know if I can help you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks Ant.

You said you've checked my email account again & it appears to be working fine (sorry - no time to look up how to quote at the moment).
    Could you just clarify what's meant by my email account in this context, what aspect of you checked, & what it is about it that seems to be working ok? Thanks.

I'm not clear about the maximum storage; does it mean that if we don't download/delete mail often enough to keep it below (e.g.) 5mb on the server, the overflow gets deleted? Or does this storage capacity apply only to using Eircom's webmail service? I assume Eircom Webmail shows all the messages waiting at the server, as mail2web does?
    I can't quite grasp how we can recerive an email that's larger than the mailbox? (Is that the webmail service's mailbox?) Would the message bypass the mailbox in some way?

For webmail, I've used nothing but mail2web for years; did you mean I can go back to just using that? (Or is Eircom webmail more useful in diagnostics than mail2web?)

Did you mean the switch to New Webmail will fix my problem with lengthy authentication?

Update; still taking about 2 minutes for mail to start downloading to the email client, but today it's taking only 10-15 seconds to send an email from it.

In case it's any help, the message when Windows Mail asks if I want to keep waiting is 'Your POP server has not responded in 60 seconds'. About the same time, the notification at bottom of screen changes from 'connecting...' to 'authorising...'.

In case it's any help, the message when Windows Mail asks if I want to keep waiting is 'Your POP server has not responded in 60 seconds'. About the same time, the notification at bottom of screen changes from 'connecting...' to 'authorising...'.

Hi Fogmatic,

Great to hear you have logged in and retrieved your eircom email (as you advise above). This is the most important point of all.

You said you've checked my email account again & it appears to be working fine (sorry - no time to look up how to quote at the moment).
    Could you just clarify what's meant by my email account in this context, what aspect of you checked, & what it is about it that seems to be working ok? Thanks.
    Yes Technical Support have checked your eircom email address (account) and tested this. That is, Technical Support have logged in to your eircom email inbox. They noticed that your email Account or inbox was full and advised that you need to delete trash or spam or large emails, in order to retrieve all your new emails.
    I'm not clear about the maximum storage; does it mean that if we don't download/delete mail often enough to keep it below (e.g.) 5mb on the server, the overflow gets deleted? Or does this storage capacity apply only to using Eircom's webmail service?
    Yes eircom's Old Webmail is quite small. It is only 5Mb or the size of a small picture file.
    New eircom Webmail is 5Gb or equivalent to about 10 large movie films.
    I assume Eircom Webmail shows all the messages waiting at the server, as mail2web does?
    Yes,, eircom shows all the new messages on the New Webmail service (as it has the capacity 5Gb). However, as you are still using Old Webmail (5Mb) it may not be possible if all your email is bigger than 5Mb.

I can't quite grasp how we can recerive an email that's larger than the mailbox? (Is that the webmail service's mailbox?) Would the message bypass the mailbox in some way?
    As explained above, if you received a picture or standard photograph which is bigger than 5Mb, then you would not be able to receive or download it on eircom Old Webmail, until you had first deleted emails or downloaded emails first.
    For webmail, I've used nothing but mail2web for years; did you mean I can go back to just using that? (Or is Eircom webmail more useful in diagnostics than mail2web?)
    Yes, we would strongly recommend using eircom New Webmail and not use any other 3rd party webmail service. You will be upgraded to eircom New Webmail in 4 - 6 weeks

Did you mean the switch to New Webmail will fix my problem with lengthy authentication?
    Yes
    Update; still taking about 2 minutes for mail to start downloading to the email client, but today it's taking only 10-15 seconds to send an email from it.
    Good to hear your eircom email has improved. It will greatly improve once you have been upgraded from Old eircom Webmail to New eircom Webmail.

I hope this helps you with your query. Let me know if you I can help further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks Ant, but;

I've been able to log in and retrieve my emails all along - the problem is that every time I do it I have to wait 2 minutes before the emails themselves start to download.

Where is the eircom email inbox/email account or inbox that's full? Neither of my email clients' inboxes are anywhere near full. If it's the mail server's store of emails that's full, how is it still full when I've just downloaded all the emails in it?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I don't quite get the relationship between the different elements.
    Does the capacity of Old Webmail equal the capacity of the server - that is, when I view emails via Eircom Webmail, am I viewing all the messages that are on the server? Does being on Old Webmail mean mail2web also will show only up to 5mb of messages? (If I don't know of the existence of an oversize email, or any deleted at the server, does the sender at least get a failed delivery notification?)
    If I've been losing emails I never knew existed, is it the earliest or the latest ones that are deleted first?)
    If the delay's caused by the 5mb limit, how does that cause the authentication always to take two minutes, even when there are no messages on the server? And the problem to start suddenly, as well as being so consistent?

Yes, my eircom email has improved, in that sending now takes only about 15 seconds to start. Thanks, if that's down to the Eircom team. (And presumably whatever improved it wouldn't work for the incoming server?)

• Advertisement

Thanks Ant, but;

I've been able to log in and retrieve my emails all along - the problem is that every time I do it I have to wait 2 minutes before the emails themselves start to download.

Where is the eircom email inbox/email account or inbox that's full? Neither of my email clients' inboxes are anywhere near full. If it's the mail server's store of emails that's full, how is it still full when I've just downloaded all the emails in it?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I don't quite get the relationship between the different elements.
    Does the capacity of Old Webmail equal the capacity of the server - that is, when I view emails via Eircom Webmail, am I viewing all the messages that are on the server? Does being on Old Webmail mean mail2web also will show only up to 5mb of messages? (If I don't know of the existence of an oversize email, or any deleted at the server, does the sender at least get a failed delivery notification?)
    If I've been losing emails I never knew existed, is it the earliest or the latest ones that are deleted first?)
    If the delay's caused by the 5mb limit, how does that cause the authentication always to take two minutes, even when there are no messages on the server? And the problem to start suddenly, as well as being so consistent?

Yes, my eircom email has improved, in that sending now takes only about 15 seconds to start. Thanks, if that's down to the Eircom team. (And presumably whatever improved it wouldn't work for the incoming server?)

Hi Fogmatic,

Thanks again and don't worry, I'm used to being bombarded :)

As for your email, there's no reason to worry. As explained, both on the phone and above, it is important that you are upgraded to eircom's New Webmail. Once this is done your current intermittent or slow login issue will be resolved.

That is: Once your email is upgraded to New Webmail, your current mail issue will be resolved.

Currently, you are on eircom Old Webmail, which has a 5Mb inbox. This affects your email, whether you use an email client (e.g: Microsoft Mail) or use a Webmail service (e.g: www.mail2web or www.eircom.net/email)

Let me know if you have any issue after you are switched over to eircom's New Webmail.

In 4 to 8 weeks you will be on eircom's New Webmail service which has a 5Gb inbox. This will resolve all your current email issues.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks Ant.

I wouldn't say my email problem was worrying exactly (maddening would be a better word). (Or did you mean that I won't have been losing emails?)

Thank you for clarifying that the new webmail will fix the problem.

I'd still like to underestand better why it started, as a help in future troubleshooting, and to explain a few things (e.g. why it was the same with POP servers other than webmail.eircom.net). Do you know of any articles etc I could read around the subject? (Technical language no problem, with plenty of glossaries around).

That aside, do you know of any alteration to the old webmail system, that would explain why my problem suddenly started about June 19th?

And (final question I hope!), is there some way I'll notice when my changeover to New Webmail happens, apart from hopefully being able to get mail at the normal speed? It could be helpful in cross-checking things.

Any answer, Eircom?

?

If nothing else, could someone just tell me how I'll know when the migration to Eircom's New Webmail happens (apart from "in 4 to 8 weeks")? (Like, does some kind of notification go out to users?)

?

If nothing else, could someone just tell me how I'll know when the migration to Eircom's New Webmail happens (apart from "in 4 to 8 weeks")? (Like, does some kind of notification go out to users?)

Thanks Fogmatic,

Apologies for the delay. To quickly answer your query.

Yes, your email will be automatically upgraded by early September. If not, please let me know and I will request this again.

There is no need for you to do anything on your side. You may receive email notification when your email is completely moved over to the New Webmail. Though, if you would like to see all the these new features of eircom's New webmail, please view the New Webmail Tour, below :

http://email.eircom.net/email/tour/

The average time frame for this migration is around 6 weeks, though it can take up to 8 weeks.

If you need more information on eircom's New Webmail please see the FAQ's section on our New Webmail Support website :

http://email.eircom.net/about/faqs/

You can also get direct assistance with your email through eircom Technical Support :

Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days) - (eircom Broadband Customers)

or request further assistance online at : http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/

Regards,
    Ant

Thanks Ant.

I now can't send mail at all from my email client, as the SMTP server is timing out after about the first 30 seconds (of the 2 minutes it's been taking before sending starts).
    I can still receive mail (after the usual 2 minutes).

On the way here to ask about that, I looked at my Eircom Webmail box, and found that I'm now on New Webmail. It's happened sooner than I expected, which is just as well, as it means I haven't waited as long to find out that the New Webmail didn't make any difference after all.

Unless you count the problem getting worse, that is (I haven't made any changes at this end, so it looks as if the switch to New Webmail caused the SMTP timeouts).

So what's the next step?

• Advertisement

I now can't send mail at all from my email client, as the SMTP server is timing out after about the first 30 seconds (of the 2 minutes it's been taking before sending starts).
    I can still receive mail (after the usual 2 minutes).

On the way here to ask about that, I looked at my Eircom Webmail box, and found that I'm now on New Webmail. It's happened sooner than I expected, which is just as well, as it means I haven't waited as long to find out that the New Webmail didn't make any difference after all.

Unless you count the problem getting worse, that is (I haven't made any changes at this end, so it looks as if the switch to New Webmail caused the SMTP timeouts).

So what's the next step?

Hi Fogmatic,

I've just tested your email using eircom New Webmail and can confirm that it is sending and receiving perfectly.

There are no SMTP errors showing up and technical support were able to successfully send and receive email on your account. They did notice that there is only one email in your inbox, and one email now showing in the sent folder.

This may suggest that your are not using eircom Webmail as your primary email programme or that you are using a third party email client (e.g: Windows Live) for your email service.

Therefore they also tested your email (using an email client) and they confirm that it is working fine.

As before, you may need to just look at your own software or email client settings again. Perhaps try to re-create your email account on your client and use the correct eircom email server settings. Also, just watch out for your personal computer software (e.g: anti-virus or firewall(s)) as this may also block your emails.

You may want to try to configure a different email client to test your email. This may be helpful in troubleshooting your computer software and email issue.

E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

How to configure your e-mail client

If you need more information on how eircom New Webmail works : How to use Webmail

If you need further confirmation that your eircom email account is working perfectly, please call directly into eircom Technical Support :

1890260260 (locall) 8am - 10pm (7 days) - (eircom Broadband Customers)

Otherwise call : 1530 277100 (7 days) - (Non-eircom broadband Customers)

Kind regards,

Ant

Advertisement