Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail authentication v. slow - problem server?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thank you for testing my email again, but I've never had a problem sending/receiving using any webmail service.
    Yes, the low number of messages at Eircom Webmail does indeed mean I'm not using it as my primary email account. I've never used any webmail as my primary account at home, as I don't want to have to go on the web every time I want to use email, hence using an email client. And as far as I know, messages at Eircom Webmail are deleted once read, which isn't ideal when away from home and without a printer (I use mail2web for that).
    As I said on 5/7, the problem is the delay that's happening before I can download/upload mail using an email client.

Thank you for also testing using an email client. But how is that done? (Perhaps between my webmail and a computer in Dublin?) Does it eliminate any errors/misconfigurations at servers en route to my computer?
    Traceroutes today for webmail.eircom.net and mail.airspeed.ie;
    7704828702_05e86a0a33.jpg
    tracert webmail Aug 3 by Fogmatic, on Flickr
    7704822518_ff5c4a005b.jpg
    tracert airspeed Aug 3 by Fogmatic, on Flickr

I've already said (see July 9th) that I'd checked my settings multiple times, and reconfigured my Thunderbird account several times. And that it makes no difference using a different email client, stopping all security software, bypassing the router, disabling all add-ons, etc, or using the other computer which hadn't even been on since weeks before the problem started (making it the first task once booted up, before updating Windows or doing anything else).

To help with the troubleshooting, would it be possible to find out when exactly my New Webmail went live?

And, if the problem's down to my settings, why the change to New Webmail was going to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Thank you for testing my email again, but I've never had a problem sending/receiving using any webmail service.
    Yes, the low number of messages at Eircom Webmail does indeed mean I'm not using it as my primary email account. I've never used any webmail as my primary account at home, as I don't want to have to go on the web every time I want to use email, hence using an email client. And as far as I know, messages at Eircom Webmail are deleted once read, which isn't ideal when away from home and without a printer (I use mail2web for that).
    As I said on 5/7, the problem is the delay that's happening before I can download/upload mail using an email client.

Thank you for also testing using an email client. But how is that done? (Perhaps between my webmail and a computer in Dublin?) Does it eliminate any errors/misconfigurations at servers en route to my computer?
    Traceroutes today for webmail.eircom.net and mail.airspeed.ie;
    7704828702_05e86a0a33.jpg
    tracert webmail Aug 3 by Fogmatic, on Flickr
    7704822518_ff5c4a005b.jpg
    tracert airspeed Aug 3 by Fogmatic, on Flickr

I've already said (see July 9th) that I'd checked my settings multiple times, and reconfigured my Thunderbird account several times. And that it makes no difference using a different email client, stopping all security software, bypassing the router, disabling all add-ons, etc, or using the other computer which hadn't even been on since weeks before the problem started (making it the first task once booted up, before updating Windows or doing anything else).

To help with the troubleshooting, would it be possible to find out when exactly my New Webmail went live?

And, if the problem's down to my settings, why the change to New Webmail was going to fix it?

Thanks for your post,

Generally the way an email account is tested is by using an email client. and setting up the email account in a application, like Microsoft Outlook Express. All email clients will connect to the Web like a browser, and this will give an indication if there's any delay connecting to the the mailservers or if there's any other mail issue..

After confirming that your email is working on Webmail, then your email account can be created -using the correct mailserves - and set up in MS Outlook Express (for e.g).

Once this is done, a quick test message can be sent to your email Account. When the email is received and resent or replied, this will normally confirm that the email is working fine. There is no real standard accepted time for an email to be sent and received. Though in most cases this appears relatively instantaneous. However it can take up to 24 hours depending on the mailservers involved. Generally though when you send an eircom Email the mail is sent and received right away.

I will sometimes also send a quick test to my Gmail using the email client to confirm that it is able to relay through external mailservers. This usually confirms the email is working fine on both Webmail and with a standard 3rd party client.

I'm not really sure if the traceroute has a significance to your email. Though from this, it would appear that you don't have any issue reaching the eircom incoming pop server. The other trace however doesn't appear to be able to reach an external server site, after it has left eircom's gateway and network. Therefore it may not be directly relevant to eircom. However, if you need to check this and as advised, if you need further assistance or clarification on your email, then please call directly into our Technical Support Department, below

1890260260 (locall) 8am - 10pm (7 days) - (eircom Broadband Customers)

Alternatively call : 1530 277100 (7 days) - (Non-eircom broadband Customers)

Kind regards,
    Ant

1530 277100 just rings for a while then cuts off. Is it the only way I can contact Tech Support? (No email/postal address?)

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Anyone know?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back, missed your post on Tuesday. If the 1530 277 100 number isn't working for you call 1890 260 260 and if they ask you to call the other number explain that you were trying it and were advised to call this one instead. Have tried it from here though and it is working when I call. If you have any hassle with it let me know and I'll try arrange for them to call you instead.

Regards

James

• Advertisement

Update; I eventually happened on a time when the 1530 number was being answered; no solution though. As far as I can remember they didn't do anything not already tried here (except that I could describe what was happening in real time).

My spouse has now bought an Android tablet (with no software in common with my notebook or desktop), and the email problem is there too (from the first time it was turned on, and before it had any security software whatever, or auto updating of anything).

Just in case it helps with anyone else's fun with diagnostics, I've recently learned from my ISP that this annoyance is down to problems (not only this one) with something upstream from them (I don't know where). The ISP is making a change to its upstream service, and when it takes effect in a few weeks' time, my problem should disappear (sorry to be so vague, but I know very little about the nuts & bolts of it!).

Other recent glitches (all also confined to incoming mail) seem likely to be part of the same thing. E.g. on making an online purchase, I was expecting emails (confirmation, Paypal etc), but received no mail whatever for the next week. (Tried mail2web every day, but nothing had got to that server either). The week's worth then arrived in 1 download.
    Quite a few recent emails have also been delayed for a day or two (after 12 years of that being very rare here).

Problem solved then, hopefully (I'm not closing the file & hurling it into the bonfire just yet though - that would be pushing my luck too far!).

Sorry to drag up this thread after so long, but the original problem is still unresolved, and there's new info.

My ISP eventually did change its system (something or other to do with a service it uses, not anything affecting user settings).  That fixed the problem I was having with emails delayed for days/a week, but authentication/handshaking at Eircom's POP server still takes 2 minutes (per mail account, of course) before starting the download.

I learned recently from my ISP that I'm not the only one with the problem, and also that it only happened to the customers with @eircom.net addresses.

Perhaps that's a clue?  Was there some change of settings at an Eircom POP server about mid-June 2012 that could account for it?  (It was about the same time as the Ulster Bank/Bank of Scotland computer failure, in case that helps).
    I did wonder at one stage if it was due to some policy against ex-Eircom customers using Eircom addresses, but then the line rental payments to Eircom don't stop anyway (and I expect Eircom has better things to do!).

Advertisement